After a short trip to Austin this year I was introduced to the cascarone – coffetti egg. It is an empty egg, filled with confetti and decorated. It is good luck to break it over the head of a friend. I wanted to make some for a group of friends in Ohio, but they gather in a bar (The Jigsaw, in Parma, Ohio) for breakfast, and I didn’t think confetti all over the floor would be appreciated. So I decided to put little things inside the eggs instead. Yay!
I decided upon the Martha Stewart stenciled egg technique because it seemed (seemed being a keyword here) to be quick. I used food coloring for the dye, however I think Paas would produce more intense colors. Here’s the basic idea, for more detailed instructions check the stuff on the Martha site. You dye the base color, put shapes on and over dye. Let dry, pull off shapes, crack and empty, wah-la.
I tried a few different types of vinyl adhesive. The first I tried were letters intended for outdoor signs. This was too strong and pulled off a lot of the underneath color. The other I tried were clear and colored 3M adhesive tape, it’s basically like wide electrical tape. The clear seemed to be harder to cut into shapes and strips, and pulled off some color while the colored (in my case yellow) worked great. Except that I ended up cutting endless amounts of little dots and stripes. You can see the results, not very clean. I mean I liked them because they screamed “I made this all by myself” — but if you’re going for a polished look, you will want to look around a bit or order some adhesive stencils from Martha. I like the stars!
Other things I found. Get the eggs to room temperature before you start and do the double-dying process at one time. I had base dyed a set of eggs which I stored in the refrigerator overnight, and when I tried to apply the adhesive shapes the eggs had too much condensation to stick. I still had some trouble after allowing the eggs to warm to room temperature. I found that if I got as far as dying the second time and let the eggs rest in the refrigerator overnight, the adhesive would again pull off part of the base color.
I didn’t want a hole at the top of my eggs, and since I needed the other hole to be large enough to stick chocolates into I decided to just break at the base. I very carefully stuck a small hole in the base using a heavy draping pin (it’s just a bulletin board tack, but those heavy silver ones). I used the pin and a toothpick to chip away at the edges of the hole until it was opened wide enough. I stuck a skewer into the egg to break the yolk, then I let the insides run out into a bowl. I carefully rinsed the inside of the egg and set upright to dry. I found that during the dying, some of the egg white had cooked a but, so I needed to rub a finger along the inside of the egg when I was rinsing it to make sure it was completely empty. Icky. To my dismay I also found that a lot of the color would rinse away and the dye would be affected where the water pooled while it was drying. I set all the eggs in punched out holes inside of egg dying kits I bought in the supermarket (but still haven’t used) on top of paper towels which I replaced as they got soaked. You can see how this affected the egg coloring in the picture. I let the eggs dry, rotating them a few times, for at least a day or more until they were completley dry inside. I was still afraid I would surely kill some people with horrid bacterium.
So, next time I am going to try spraying the eggs with fixative before I empty them, or I will empty them before dying. While I’d feel a little better about making sure the eggs were clean and dry before everything, I’m not sure how difficult applying the adhesive stickers, or for that reason dying, the eggs would be empty. I’m afraid the shells would be to frail.
Hi, I'm Megan. I live in Seattle with Scott. I make stuff and give you tutorials on how to make it too. I also keep track of what I'm up to and post links to good stuff from all over.