Top row: one too few ounces of chocoalte. Bottom row: 1/4 cup extra sour cream.
An event gave me an excuse to make some more cupcakes, I made two batches and messed up slightly twice. The recipe in question is here (thank you Sarah for posting it). I point to it because any attempt on my part to transpose it, even cut and paste-wise, will inevitably result in a mistype and consequent incorrect recipe.
#6 tip again
Batch one: I suspect I didn’t add as much sour cream as needed last time, so this time I hallucinated and convinced myself the recipe said 3/4 cup of sour cream (no kidding, I was entirely sure that’s what it said, I didn’t come to my sense of eyesight until the next morning). It wasn’t bad, at all, but the cake was quite soft and sticky. Batch two: I only added one ounce of chocoate. I got a bar of Valhrona which was 7 ounces but divided into 8 squares so they could spell out V-A-L-H-R-O-N-A on it. Helpful. Sometime around where I was trying to divde a square into
eighths sevenths I forgot the second ounce altogether. It tasted like uninteresting chocolate cake.
candy coated dried cherries, pretty and just large enough to be funny
The frosting is the easy vanilla bean buttercream from the same recipe at flickr, this time I added more powdered sugar in the hopes it would be a little stiffer. One independent taster declared it good.
The red things on top are candy coated dried cherries bought in the bulk foods section. They are my last resort answer to the red decorations for the ultimate birthday cupcake goal.