links: misc

How To Clean Tarnished Silver Jewelry — Jewelry Making Journal. Getting rid of the tarnish on silver jewelry using stuff you have in the house already and without (much) polishing, nice.

Back Of The House: The Life of a Cook’s Illustrated Test Cook | Serious Eats.

NPR’s April Fool’s Day Prank Was An Absolute Masterpiece, at Filmdrunk. Very clever!

Cool Tools – Kitebuilder. A site all about building kites, with tips and plans.

A Goose That Lays Golden Eggs by Geraint Krumpe of Y Line Product Design — Kickstarter. This product scrambles eggs inside the shell without piercing the shell at all. Nicely thought out and I kindasorta want one, but I also really like an egg with a runny yolk.

Campfire Boyfriend Sweater | Mighty Girl. Need-want all of these things. We are without fire in my house and I miss it.

· comments [9] · 04-22-2014 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Jen // Apr 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I imagine the Golden Egg designer got the idea from playing with a button on a string.

• 2 Karin // Apr 23, 2014 at 8:55 pm

A little bit of time with a wood burner gets you that Smokey-the-bear smell too. ;)

• 3 megan // Apr 23, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I had something like that as a kid and I thought of it right away when I saw the egg thing! Yes!

• 4 megan // Apr 23, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Karin – I can see where you’re coming from but as an owner of an already cluttered tiny house a wood burner would take up more space and be less disposable than a cologne. Then again it’s way smaller than a metal fire pit. And less expensive than few nights deposit on a camping spot. OK, fine, I’ll get a woodbuner! :)

• 5 Jen // Apr 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I’m pleased that the author explained (at least loosely) the chemistry behind that silver cleaning method, because I’d heard of the method before but thought it sounded like an old wives tale.

• 6 megan // Apr 28, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Jen – I feel the same way, I tend to avoid things that sound too easy as being Pinterest fodder. :)

• 7 Jen // Apr 29, 2014 at 9:32 am

I tried it yesterday! I had 4 detailed charms that hadn’t seen the light of day in some 30 to 40 years, a cheap childhood charm bracelet and some infrequently worn pieces aquired in the last 5 years. Aside from the very dark bracelet, I didn’t think the old charms were any darker than the newer pieces. Don’t know if the newer pieces cleaned up best because they were less detailed or because the tarnish wasn’t as old. In any case, it made a noticeable difference with all the pieces.

And you could smell the chemical reaction kick off. It’s not strong, but it’s there.

• 8 megan // Apr 29, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks for the update, I’ve got a few old favorites that need some love and I’ll be doing this soon!

• 9 Alison // Apr 29, 2014 at 10:46 am

I tried the silver cleaning last night too. It worked perfectly on a newer/cleaner piece, and not very well on the older pieces. I might try it again on the older chains because they are a pain in the ass to polish manually. My chemical reaction was definitely strong, the whole bathroom smelled like sulfur!