links: food

Vegan: Crispy Smoked Mushroom “Bacon” | Serious Eats.

Dominique Ansel to Debut Milk & Cookie Shots at SXSW – Eater. Milk served in a chocolate chip cookie shot glass, lovely. From the guy who brought the cronut to the world.

How To Make Amazing Cold Brew Coffee – Business Insider. Via a post about how to have coffee in a coffee-less office over at Ask Metafilter.

Hungry Cravings: Adventures in Extruded Pasta.

Have You Ever Tried an Opal Apple? | Serious Eats.

Carbonated Celery Gimlet – Recipe – ChefSteps. (Video.) From The GastroGnome’s Best of 2013.

A Beginner’s Guide to Italian Wine | Serious Eats.

Just 1 Bottle: 15 Cocktails to Make With Gin and a Trip to the Grocery Store | Serious Eats.

Best beer bars in Seattle – Thrillist Seattle. Naomi nailed this list.

Rise and shine: Kouign aman achieves pastry perfection | OregonLive.com. Two recipes and tips on making the best possible.

Gin and Tonic with Cucumber Bursting Boba | Gratuitous Foodity. A recreation of The Aviary’s gin and tonic with encapsulated cucumber juice and a good explanation on how to make popping boba of any flavor. Via this question on Ask Metafilter about making alcoholic boba drinks.

· comments [6] · 04-2-2014 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Alison // Apr 2, 2014 at 6:54 am

Joe Pastry did kouign aman(n) a few years back too: http://www.joepastry.com/category/pastry/kouign-amann. He was equally frustrated!

• 2 Jen // Apr 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

I tried making a kouign aman from David Lebovitz’s blog recipe a couple of years ago. It was a mess making it. Sprinkling the sugar on the dough made water weep out of it. This is simple osmosis, so I’m not sure how any other outcome is possible, though it evidently is, since I’m pretty sure that isn’t supposed to happen.

I baked it anyway, and the bottom was a lot of burnt caramel, but pulling parts off of it wasn’t half bad, though probably still well short of how it was meant to be.

• 3 Jen // Apr 2, 2014 at 10:18 am

I drank cold brew made in a french press all last summer after reading about it on the hairpin:

I used medium grind, since already ground coffee at medium grind is readily available at the grocery story.

This concentrate might be more potent, since the dilution suggested is 3:1, rather than 1:1. I used all milk.

Once the weather got cold, I switched to a simple one cup drip cone with a paper filter for hot coffee at the office. That I use with fine grind I buy from the coffee shop.

• 4 megan // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Jen – I have only encountered the flaky kouign amann before and the David Lebovitz variety surprised me, I’m willing to give the recipe a go though.

Alison – Thanks for the link to the Joe Pastry recipe, I love his tips and step by step!

• 5 megan // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Jen – Thanks for the coffee tips! We normally do the pour over cone but I’ve been known to forget about it half way through so I’m looking forward to having something ready to go in the fridge for the early mornings.

• 6 Jen // Apr 2, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I drip my pour-over into an insulated travel mug and it’s still hot enough even if I don’t get to it for an hour. It’s my routine to make it right after arriving at work, doing a bit of work and then drinking it. My employers have a Japanese hot water dispenser, so there is 208 F water pretty much on demand.