the state of my state

We started this year with a bit of fixing up. We had a new bumper put on our car from a little accident (we were stopped at a red light and were tapped from behind by giant pickup truck which appeared to suffer no damage whatsoever), we had our bathroom floor tiled and had a heated floor (luxurious!) put in at the same time. And just when we were settling in to having things back in order our clothes washer started leaking. Sad trombone. So we’re looking at having it fixed (do people still do this?) or getting a new one. We’re also saying goodbye to any money we had hoped to putting towards a sunshiny winter getaway. Ah well. We got to ease our disappointment while sitting at a local bar with neighbors watching our football team win the Super Bowl, which was pretty darn great.

Last month I went to the Altitude Design Summit to speak on a panel and part of that was to talk about how blogging has changed drastically over the last few years. What we talked about was put much better by Grace of Design Sponge in her State of the Blog Union post last week. I also like what Jean Aw wrote in her Restart: 2014 post for NOTCOT. Both of them come to the conclusion that though it feels like things have spread so far apart with all the social media channels there is plenty of room for more fun to be had in the upcoming year. I like that.

As for me I have a few things I want to recommend to you, I need to talk about our big trip last November and I’d like to redesign this site (it’s been far too long). I had a few small projects in mind but both failed during the proof of concept stages. (Though, those involved getting to eat cake. Even failed cake tastes good.) How has your year been going so far?

· comments [14] · 02-4-2014 · categories:mumbling ·

• 1 RTBoyce // Feb 4, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Last year, I made repairs to both my dryer and washer (the set is 13 years old), resulting in continued good service from both machines. The internet is a wonderful resource for appliance diagnosis and repair! I never realized the machines were so simple nor taking them apart fairly straightforward. I recommend trying to fix your washer yourselves – you can always call a repair service as plan B.

• 2 megan // Feb 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Earlier this year we replaced an electronic bit in the same washer when it just started making a whining noise instead of working. (Yaaaay us.) But this time around we’ve diagnosed it as needing a new drum, which we’re pricing out to a repair guy now to weigh out the price vs. Us Spending A Lot Of Time Not Knowing What We’re Doing. We’re good at getting frustrated and then having to put something like that off for the next free weekend :)

• 3 Jen // Feb 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I had some very thick cake layer top cutoffs from my grandma’s birthday that I took to work. I love that nobody was insulted that I fed them cake scraps and people were just, omg, yay! cake!

• 4 megan // Feb 4, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Jen – Oh yes, everybody always “omg cake!”. Is there a song titled that? There should be.

• 5 Susan E // Feb 5, 2014 at 1:28 am

Macarons, macarons, macarons – After a mammoth amount of failures, we have finally discovered the perfect recipe (Italian meringue), fixed the oven temperature (cheap oven thermometer) and perfected the piping and resting methods. Now we are at the stage where we can play with flavours and colours. Our freezer is becoming crammed with a huge variety of perfect shiny colourful and flavourful shells, waiting for us to learn how to make the fillings!
    I think I will take this as my allegory for 2014 – it may start off as a disaster, but if I keep on trying I may get there in the end.

• 6 Alex M. // Feb 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

Your site is lovely! Please don’t feel pressured to change. You have a good layout, easy-to-follow posts, pleasant side bar, good font, good colors. And it migrates smoothly to feedly.

• 7 Andie Miller // Feb 5, 2014 at 8:19 am

Sometimes we like change just to see what is next. That is a good reason for a blog redesign. However, I’m going to echo Alex. I see no pressure to change for all the same reasons.

• 8 Lauren // Feb 8, 2014 at 7:40 am

This site has always been a great place to visit. Redesign if you like, but personally – I love it as-is. :)

• 9 ansleybleu // Feb 8, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I am thrilled to be knitting again after a several year hiatus due to an arm injury. I am being swallowed up with lace shawl patterns and am loving it.

• 10 nazilam // Feb 10, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I love your site the way it is. I wouldn’t change it to conform to the awful content driven, everyone looks like each other and full of what look like advertorials sprinkled throughout the site.

That was a long sentence.

We fix everything in our house. Would likely repair if its going to be under 150 bucks, if not, this weekend is a great time to buy a washer. The first ladies of the USA were big fans of getting laundry done.

• 11 megan // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Susan – Oh how fun! I am intimidated by the macaron and I’d have to dedicate myself to lots of practice. Congrats on going through the process. They are so cute.

• 12 megan // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

ansleybleu – Oh I’m so sorry to hear it! I’m glad you’ve healed up and I hope the knitting is proving to be a good mental therapy. I recently started knitting again and realized I had forgotten how much I enjoy even ribbing.

• 13 megan // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm

nazilam – Thanks for the tip! We are trying to track down a highly recommended repair guy. We looked at the process of replacing the part on our own and decided that it’s not work we want to do on our own. If the weekend looms with no contact we’ll have a look at the sales!

• 14 megan // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:10 pm

And thanks everybody for the reassurances about redesign. My main goal is to make the content column wider so I can get in better pictures that show more how-to detail. I also want to have a responsive design for mobile devices. It won’t be a huge change.