DIY wine gift box from a mailing tube

The second project that I created for Apothic is up on their Apothic Handmade page over at Facebook. This one is a studded leather gift box lined in dramatic red felt that is only glimpsed after the box is opened. I used a tiny padlock to secure the box. Go see how to make it, and enjoy.

Because this project involves wine please let me just say: Content intended for users of legal drinking age where this page is being accessed.

· comments [11] · 09-9-2013 · categories:craft ·

• 1 Anne-Marie Faiola // Sep 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Love this idea!

• 2 megan // Sep 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making it. And now I want to add studs to everything in my world.

• 3 Deborah // Sep 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Mommy, one of my favorite blends!

• 4 barrie // Sep 10, 2013 at 5:29 am

Weird. The links don’t work on my phone.

• 5 hazygirl // Sep 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

Can’t see the tutorial since I am not going to LIKE them in facebook.

• 6 SusaninPeckham // Sep 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hmm I don’t suppose there is some way to see your tutorial without joining Facebook? I’m not on it and don’t intend to be….sigh.

• 7 kc // Sep 10, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Ditto on the not on FB, not planning to be on FB thing. Apothic does get net positive credibility in my brain space for giving you money to do crafts for them (they did give you money/wine, right? I hope?); just not quite as much in the way of warm-fuzzy-ness as if I could actually access the tutorial.

• 8 megan // Sep 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm

kc and Susanin – Yes, this is a project that appears on the Apothic Facebook page and, yes it can only be viewed if you’re signed into Facebook.

kc – Thank you for asking, I sincerely appreciate it. Apothic hired me, and a bunch of other bloggers, to create DIY projects. I understand the frustration of it being FB only, but for what it’s worth it was one of those situations that allows me to keep doing Not Martha while thoroughly enjoying what I was creating for hire. Consider it fuel for upcoming enthusiasms, if that doesn’t sound too cheesy.

• 9 kc // Sep 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Hooray! I know web hosting isn’t free, and then add in all the time you spend on the delightful content (and the money you spend on craft components/ingredients/camera stuff/etc.) and I’m happy to have you be enabled to create things that are awesome for us to enjoy (for free!) by having nice people give you money for doing interesting things. Their recently-accrued social capital with me would go down to zero if they pulled that “the thing you get out of spending time, effort, and energy on us and using your space to advertise for us is… free exposure!” jerk move that some companies do, so I’m happy. :-)

(also, I’m honestly unlikely to create a wine gift box, so I’m actually mostly good with just the gorgeous “end result” pictures in this case, although I’m always curious about how things are put together so I can add techniques/ideas to my bag [the more you know!]. I’ll admit I was sad about the tote, though. Because: wine tote! that you could also put flowers in the other side of without them being crushed! genius!)

• 10 Roni Faida // Sep 12, 2013 at 5:22 am

Love love love this! Such a creative way to present wine. I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog!

• 11 tami // Oct 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I was interested enough to click on the link, but not enough to “like” Apothic on Facebook in order to see the link. I understand the business transaction – maybe you could make it clear that a Facebook like is required? I also refuse to look at websites that require a “membership,” which is really a way to get my my e-mail address, to look at the wares – like J*ss & M**n.