Kirby Krackle + Weird Al Yankovic

Awesome poster by Jeremy Haun.

Later this week I’m headed off to the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo. I’m look forward to the con but mostly I’m looking forward to getting to see Kirby Krackle play a huge theater when they open for Weird Al Yankovic. I’m so excited for them!

While I’m in Calgary I’m hoping to see some theater during lunch, eat good steak, shop for cowboy boots and look at some shops from the Design*Sponge guide to Calgary. I’m also going to investigate reports that Canada has the extra large tissues and if so I’ll have a lot of boxes of something to report to customs.

People of Calgary! Is there anything I should make sure not to miss/eat/buy while I’m there?

· comments [20] · 04-24-2013 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Pam // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:50 am

Calgary foodie highlights include Silk Road Spices (http://www.silkroadspices.ca/) and Choklat (http://www.sochoklat.com/), which are both conveniently located about a block apart in a cool shoppy neighbourhood just a quick bus ride from downtown. Skip the chain store shopping on Stephen Ave. downtown and head for Inglewood instead. The best meals I’ve ever eaten in Calgary were at Charcut (http://www.charcut.com/, don’t skip the house made charcuterie!) and The Palomino (http://www.thepalomino.ca/). Two very different experiences, but two places that do wonderful things with our Alberta beef. For a light lunch option to offset the heavy beefy meals you’re sure to enjoy, I love stopping by Sunterra market downtown for their hot/cold bar which sounds a lot like what’s offered by Whole Foods in the US.

Enjoy! Calgary is a rad town!

• 2 CitricSugar // Apr 24, 2013 at 6:48 am

I’m not in Calgary (I’m a seven hour drive from there) but you should check out the tower (obviously). Alberta Theatre Projects (ATP) is a great venue for live theatre, but most theatre in Calgary is good. Also check out the skywalks downtown – the entire downtown core is connected in various ways so you can actually avoid traffic and smog if you don’t might walking. And you have to make the side trip out to the mountains. It’s mandatory. Go to Banff – plan to walk, explore, and overpay for drinks. Worth it. If too touristy for you ( and it has its moments), go to Canmore instead. Still beautiful but less crowded.

Politically, Calgary tends to run very conservative – more so than anywhere else in the country. However, that’s a Canadian conservativism, so it’s still slightly left of American rightists. Avoid conversations about the pipeline and tarsands with locals if you feel strongly about it or want to avoid getting sucked into a large debate/talking to.

On the whole, Calgarians can be very friendly and quite proud of the local scenery – as well they should be! The town is beautiful, the setting is beautiful. The weather is usually fair but dress in layers. If you are prone to migraines with air pressure shifts, take back-up meds. The chinooks can be tough on the noggin.

Be careful smuggling back Kinder eggs. I hear they’re contraband… ;-)

• 3 Moe // Apr 24, 2013 at 9:09 am

I am in Edmonton. I love the Kensington area of Calgary … Are you staying downtown? The walk along the river in Eau Claire is beautiful. If you want a mall, Chinook is the one to visit. The night life in Calgary is always rowdy and fun … people are friendly and kind … Enjoy your visit!

• 4 Jen // Apr 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

If you go as far as Banff, and are not claustrophobic, stop by Canmore and do a cave tour. Seriously, the highlight of my Banff-Jasper trip last year.

Google Canmore cave tour and you should find it. Don’t be deterred by the name rats nest cave.

• 5 Kerry // Apr 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Go to peters drive in. Thirty milkshake flavors (real fruit). Fresh beef burgers. Real ice cream. Order a small fry to accompany your burger. A small will feed an army.

Google it.

• 6 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Pam – Thank you! If I can get away I’ll check all those out.

• 7 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm

CitricSugar – Thanks for all the heads up. I don’t suffer from altitude stuff except for dehydration so I’ll make sure I drink lots of water, it’s easy to forget at big events. I don’t make it to Banff on this trip, but I really want to. I also know the perils of Kinder Egg smuggling so I’ll be opening them all before I head back :)

• 8 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Moe – I have no idea where we are (close to the big convention center?). I hope to make time for the walk along the river!

• 9 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Jen – I won’t be making it out of the city but I *love* caves so I’ll be back to see Banff and caves, excited!

• 10 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Kerry – Excellent tip, thank you. We won’t be renting cars so maybe we can get a cab to take us there.

• 11 Amanda // Apr 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

This Friday in the East Village the Calgary Spring Food Festival (https://www.facebook.com/events/363743360410064/), might be a good thing to check out after the POW parade.

Wreck City is also happening until Saturday, it’s a bunch of houses in the Sunnyside neighbourhood that are slated for demolision, so a group of artist went in and did it up, it’s really cool(http://wreckcityproject.wordpress.com/)

Not to get all burger wars on you, but Boogies on Edmonton Trail, is way better than Peters! You can get a Fat Elvis Milkshake (PB+Banana+Bacon), and their season milkshake right now is Lemon Meringue.

I second the recommendations for Silk Road Spice Market, and Charcut. I’ll throw in Model Milk and Open Range for steak and cocktails.

• 12 Amanda // Apr 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Oh, and Sidewalk Citzen Bakery, in Sunnyside, right by the train station and Another Dimesionsion comic books… best sandwiches ever!

• 13 Karen J // Apr 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Hurrah. Cowtown bound.

Boogies, Uppercase (if they are open), Peace bridge, Charcut, Phil and Sebastien Coffee (THE BEST), River Cafe, Chicken-on-the-Way, day trip to Drumheller Tyrell Museum, Kit, Tubby Dog, Crescent Heights at night, Trends Fashions, Vespucci, Car2go, Bass Pro for some “stuffed animals”, Bow Building “Wonderland” head, Devonian Gardens

The Real Canadian Superstore (aka loblaws) for groceries (tissues, kinder eggs, maple syrup, joe clothing….)

• 14 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Amanda – Oh my gosh, those are great suggestions. I really hope I can make it to see Wreck City. Also, I might just have to get to both Boogies and Peters so I can decide for myself, yes?

• 15 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Amanda – comic books and sandwiches are the best combination for this trip!

• 16 megan // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Karen – I love visiting grocery stores wherever I go! Loblaws or bust.

• 17 Jen // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Real Canadian Superstore has a clothing line called Joe Fresh that I think you’ll have some fun with.

At least in Ontario, Loblaws will be groceries (yes, household paper included in that category,) and sometimes a little more, but Real Canadian Superstore is an expanded version and will have more and larger sections that go well beyond groceries… like Joe Fresh.

• 18 Jen // Apr 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

oh, and Mountain Equipment Co-op. You have to be a member to shop, but it’s only $5 and it’s for life. It’s Canada’s answer to REI.

• 19 Vincci // Apr 25, 2013 at 7:51 am

OMG! I can’t believe you’re coming to my hometown! I agree with Amanda’s suggestions and must add that Peters’ burgers and fries are TERRIBLE. Only go for their milkshakes.

Also terrible: getting around Calgary without a car. Hopefully transit/cabs are cooperative during your stay, or you might find yourself doing quite a bit of walking!

In terms of foodie recommendations: Village Ice Cream (www.villageicecream.com) does artisan ice cream with a focus on local and organic ingredients – all their flavors are subtle and not too sweet, like cardamom and Guides’ Mint.

Both Anju and downtownfood do Asian fusion tapas (though Anju is more Korean). Anju makes killer crispy tofu and gochujang wings and downtownfood makes nearly everything (including tofu!) in house.

If you’re looking for beef/steak, I agree with the Charcut recommendation (they also recently brought in a new cocktail person). You can definitely get a more traditional “steak” experience at Vintage Chophouse or Caesar’s, but I personally am not a fan.

Enjoy your stay in Calgary! My brother and his girlfriend (Drake and Andrea) have a booth at CCEE so do say hi if you see them!

• 20 Candida // Apr 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm

You’re probably there right now, but Joe Fresh is one of the companies involved in the deadly factory collapse in Bangladesh and there’s a call out for Canadians to boycott their clothing until they guarantee safe working conditions in their factories. There’s plenty of media reports about it online. If you’re looking for clean clothing, MEC is a good option.