video games I’m excited about

There are a few video game developments that I’m pretty excited over. Ok, very excited over.

Dreamfall Chapters

Yes! Dreamfall Chapters, the continuing story of The Longest Journey, is up on Kickstarter and it’s still going! I am a big fan of the first two games in this series, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. The creator, Ragnar Tornquist, has started up a company and this will be their first project. They’ve already passed the $1 million mark and as a result the game will be available on extra platforms and there will be more content. I’m very excited to find out the fate of April Ryan and I have hopes that we’ll see Zoe again. I’ve been a fan of adventure games going way back to King’s Quest 1 but the Dreamfall games tug at my heart in a special way.

Dreamfall Chapters is also up for a vote over at Steam Greenlight. If you’ve got an account over there do me a favor and vote it up? Thanks.

Kyntt Underground

I love the (free) Knytt games and played them to death so I was really pleased to find the newest one, Knytt Underground available in the Playstation store (it’s also available for Mac/PC/Linux). Knytt Underground keeps the 2-D screen by screen exploration and ads a map overlay. I’m only a few quests in and have been meaning to carve out some more time to explore and uncover more of the story. It’s also up on Steam Greenlight, throw it a vote? Please?

Borderlands 2

Small whine: There aren’t enough couch co-op games available. I don’t like playing FPSs alone, they get weirdly boring, but sitting on the couch next to Scott makes it really enjoyable. We’ve spent a good chunk of this winter playing split-screen Borderlands 2. It’s a vertical split screen and while at first it might be a little cramped I got used to it very quickly. None of the text or menus are obscured. We’ve been liking it so much that we took our time finishing the main storyline and now we’re revisiting everything to get all the Cult of the Vault symbols.

Adventure

If you missed Double Fine’s Kickstarter like I did (oops) you can still become a Slacker Backer and get the game while it’s in beta. I was late to play Psychonauts so it’s still new and fresh in my memory. Really really looking forward to Adventure. In the mean time I have yet to play The Cave.

So many games to look forward to! And I have not even gotten to how much I am anticipating The Last Gaurdian, it will arrive some day, we just have to keep believing.

· comments [15] · 03-5-2013 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Milla // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:04 am

I didn’t even know about the sequel for The Longest Journey!! And you are saying there will be still another? Thanks!!

• 2 shara // Mar 5, 2013 at 5:22 am

Army of Two is so fun to play with my husband. They have a third version coming out in a few weeks.

• 3 Seanna Lea // Mar 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

The artwork for Dreamfall Chapters is amazing. While I play a lot of games with subpar graphics (iOS card game I’m looking at you!), it would be nice to play something with a higher visual factor. Do you think this game will be standalone or require playing the first two to enjoy?

• 4 Kate // Mar 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

Borderlands 2 is great – I never played videogames before, but I really enjoy it. It’s best as a co-op – I love playing with two or three friends, too. It’s witty, engaging, beautifully designed, and just darn fun to play. :)

• 5 Marcelena // Mar 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I love the Cave! One of the best games lately, I also love Borderlands 2 so I’ll have to try Dream fall!

• 6 megan // Mar 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Milla – Yes! You can play Dreamfall while you’re waiting for Chapters to come out. Dreamfall is good on a console as well as a computer.

• 7 megan // Mar 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Shara – Thanks for the recommendation, we were looking at those games recently.

• 8 megan // Mar 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Seanna Lea – I’m not sure but I think #2 was playable without having played #1. That said #2 was very much story and a little less game so I’m not sure how invested someone without the start of the story might find it.

• 9 kristin // Mar 6, 2013 at 5:28 am

just started the cave the night before last. love it!

• 10 Nicole // Mar 6, 2013 at 6:15 am

I’m with you on the lack of split screen games, I had a post about it a while back actually. Portal 2 has a really fun co-op mode. There’s also a really good Facebook page (soon to have a blog) called C0-Op Heroes. They write about all the fun multiplayer games.

I find games to be more of a good bonding experince with my husband than watching TV. TV always turns into each of us on our tablets. Games we have to talk and work together.

• 11 megan // Mar 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Nicole – We played Portal 2 to death and plan on playing it again because we have a larger tv this year. Thanks for the info about co op heros! There is another site somewhere that lists co op games and has a set just for couch co op which has been pretty good. But not dedicated to couch specifically. I’ll look up that site when I get home .

• 12 liz // Mar 12, 2013 at 3:03 pm

My husband and I love BL2, we got two xboxs just so we don’t have to share a screen =) The captain Scarlett DLC is pretty good, and thanks for the other recs!

• 13 Becca C. // Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m always looking for more games (especially indie ones) to play. =) Woo!

• 14 megan // Apr 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Liz – We’ve been discussing getting a second console so we can play networked games but part of what I like about playing games with my husband is getting to sit on the same couch and talk to each other. Do you two play in the same room? Does the second screen make you dizzy or do you sit back to back?

Thanks for the recommendation on which DLC to grab!

• 15 Sara // Apr 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm

OH HAPPY DAY. I loved Dreamfall and I am so excited about the new one!!!