a peek inside my makeup box

It’s been way too long since I said I’d share more of my favorite makeup. Oops. There is a bright side though, I can say I still find these products to be my favorites. Earlier I wrote about which products I keep in my bag, the following are the ones I have at home and use on a semi-regular basis:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance – Eye makeup doesn’t stand a chance on me unless I’m using eyeshadow primer. This works great and doesn’t add any shimmer (an enemy of mine when it comes to the eyes). A tiny bit goes a long way and this lasts me for a long time.

MAC Eyeshadow – I find these to have plenty of pigment and stay well. Most often I use Omega (light brown) for the crease, Carbon (black) as eyeliner and Print (medium gray) to smudge it out.

Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow – I read a lot about Wet n Wild eyeshadow, that the quality and pigment load for the price was great. I’ve bought a few sets and I do like the pigment but it’s all got a bit too much shimmer for me. I keep these to use one peach or one light pink color on my lids. I probably won’t seek these out again but it is an inexpensive way to play around with a lot of different colors.

Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer – This is a light, oil-free foundation primer that does it’s job and doesn’t make me feel like There Is Something On My Face.

L’Oreal Magic Smooth Souffle Foundation – A tiny bit of this smooths on easily and hides my giant pores. It does dry quickly so I work in smaller areas. It can emphasize dry skin but does well with my ever present oily sheen. It doesn’t necessarily require a foundation primer but I usually don’t wear foundation unless it’s going to be a long day so I use it.

Nars Blush – In Orgasm, of course. I really like this for a bit of subtle color. Blah blah blah everybody loves this and I do too.

Sonia Kashuk (Target) in Flamingo – I use this one when I’m going for some bright Irish Lass cheeks. It’s a matte color and I’m really fond of the low profile packaging it’s in.

L’Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes – After reading about it at Girls of a Certain Age I’ve been testing this out and it’s mostly replaced my usual for the time being. I like the drama of this but it can go spidery on me if I overload it. It plays nicely with my sunscreen and eye cream and doesn’t flake or smudge.

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture in #001 – I thought I had talked about this already but apparently I only did over at Flickr. This is a powerful matte bright red that isn’t too blue and isn’t too coral and works with my cool-pale skin. I found this when I needed my first ever red lipstick and was hovering around the makeup section at Nordstrom being fiercely ignored by the people at the MAC counter when a kindly YSL lady pulled me into a quiet chair and applied this. I kept looking in mirrors for the rest of the day. I love it. I use an eyeshadow primer around the edges of my lips and apply this using a lip brush.

NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils – I’ve seen these recommended a lot and I have to say I like them too. I find them easier to apply than a tube of lipstick, and they fit well in a makeup bag if you’re taking it with you. I like Chaos (724), which is a dark pink that isn’t too Barbie-pink.

Coach Poppy Flower – My current favorite perfume. I only wish that it came in a single roller ball instead of a double-headed roller ball because I’m convinced it’s going to break in my luggage when I travel and then everything is going to smell like the other perfume which I don’t like very much.

Makeup brushes – You hear this advice all the time but I didn’t really know how much of a difference it would make for me: invest in good makeup brushes. They make a huge difference in how even the cheapest makeup goes on. I have some brushes from Target that are often recommended in beauty magazines but they aren’t nearly as good as the MAC brushes I’ve invested in and the Target brushes have been relegated to blending brushes. Here are the brushes I use most often:

• MAC 266, a fine angled brush I use as an eyeliner brush.
  • MAC 242, I use to press eyeshadow into the crease.
  • MAC 217, I use to blend my crease color.
  • MAC 224, a big fluffy brush I use when there is a larger field of color to be applied.
  • Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush, comes to a tiny point and is great for adding a very thin line to the base of the lashes.
  • Sephora 60, a retractable lip brush. I couldn’t apply red lipstick without this. It stays nice and neat in a bag.

· comments [17] · 02-26-2013 · categories:beauty ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31 am

I feel so unkempt now. I only wear makeup if I am bored in the morning or feeling extra grumpy (also in the morning). Then it is like an automatic pick me up. I’m so rarely bored that I haven’t even worn nail polish in at least a month.

• 2 megan // Feb 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

If I’m just running errands I usually wear mascara and lip gloss. It used to be a big deal for me to put on makeup but I have one routine that I do over and over and it has made the process of getting in on much faster. I’m very pale so a little color is good when I leave the house so I don’t look like I’m dying of consumption :)

• 3 Sarah // Feb 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

I’m loving everything you have here. I use print almost every day for my eyeliner unless I’m wearing one of BB’s long wear gel pencil liners – those are amazing!

• 4 Amy in StL // Feb 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I got sold down the Nars Orgasm road and it’s too pink and with the golden shimmer it’s too much little girl. I just feel that for a lady in her 40s it’s not appropriate so I went back to MAC for a nice subtle blush.

• 5 Lee in PA // Feb 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I am on a NARS lipstick jag right now. Dragon Lady and Carthage, a deep dark red and a really bright pink. I can’t do the Orgasm blush, but I got turned on to a Laura Mercier color that is really subtle and nice.

• 6 Nancy M. // Feb 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love this post! Thanks for the tips!

I have to leave the house with highlighter this one under my eyes, mascara and gloss.

• 7 megan // Feb 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I like the shimmer in the Nars, but I do live in Seattle where we don’t get a lot of bright sunshine this time of year :) Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

• 8 Ophelie // Feb 27, 2013 at 1:39 am

Funny you should mention that YSL lipstick! I was in a shop last week and *had* to ask one of the employees about her lipstick. It was the perfect red, blotted down. She couldn’t remember, but was nice enough to email me the next day: YSL Rouge Couture #1. I really need to go check it out in person.

• 9 Maggie // Feb 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Just wanted to tell you that it looks like the Magic Smooth souffle makeup is being discontinued. Stock up! Stock up!

• 10 megan // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Gah! Every time I like something it’s, poof, gone. Thanks for the warning Maggie!

• 11 megan // Feb 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Ophelie – It is indeed a color worth noticing! :)

• 12 regan // Feb 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Talk to me about the eye shadow primer around your lips.

• 13 megan // Feb 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Regan – It’s my favorite trick. The YSL counter lady showed it to me. You simply take a small amount of eyeshadow primer and dab it around the outside line of your lips. Let it dry for a second and then very carefully apply lipstick (it’s harder to wipe away errant lipstick with the primer in place). This is part of the reason that I use the lip brush, I’m a bit of a mess when I apply lipstick from the tube.

This keeps the lipstick from feathering or smearing and it seems to keep it in place while sipping at cocktails. I’ve only used this with the YSL lipstick so the staying power might be partly the lipstick itself.

• 14 Dina // Mar 2, 2013 at 10:17 am

Megan it looks like the YSL lipstick shade you mentioned is no more!

• 15 Alison // Mar 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I think I use that same little ikea container for my makeup but mine is A MESS with hair clips, band aids, and other skidamarinks… But now I’m inspired to go clean it out and get organized! I just got some new wet’n'wild eyeshadow palettes and for the price/quality they are such a bargain ! I also really love the Essence brand which is similar in price as wet’n'wild but doesn’t have the “make-up for middle schoolers” connotation . Haha.

• 16 megan // Mar 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Din – I see it on the Nordstrom site but not the YSL site. Oh dear, I’ll have to buy a spare tube just in case.

• 17 megan // Mar 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for the tip Alison! We have a bunch of these Ikea boxes that organize a closet, they were less expensive than the Muji ones I had an eye on:)