links: food

Spicy, Smoky Bean Cakes with Lime Slaw and Charred Avocado | Serious Eats : Recipes.

Something to try, Smoky Spruce Buttercrunch | Thoughts on Food and Life. A Buttercrunch made with smoked chocolate and spruce essential oil. I happen to have some of those smoked chocolate chips and they make for the best indoor s’mores of all time.

New Booze: Hophead Hop Vodka | Serious Eats: Drinks Hopped vodka? I wonder if it’s good, I looove hops..

Taste Test: Olo’s Chipotle Paste Vs. Canned Chipotle Chilies | Serious Eats. We don’t cook often enough to keep fresh ingredients around all the time, but I think I would make good use of the chipotle paste.

What are your best recipes for a savory breakfast casserole that can be prepared the night before and cooked in the morning? | Ask MetaFilter.

How to Identify Hops in Your Beer: The Three C’s | Serious Eats: Drinks, also see How to Identify Hops in Your Beer: Amarillo, Summit, Citra, Simcoe I wonder if there are any professional beer tasting courses that teach you how to identify components, I’d like to take that class.

Bon Appétempt: Gérard’s Mustard Tart. Oooooh!

25 Food Trends for 2013: bonappetit.com. The Paloma made with mezcal and the stovetop smoker are things on my radar. Via Shutterbean.

Julian Baggini – The art of coffee. A blind taste test of Nespresso vs. hand drawn espresso.

Eats // The best heart shaped donuts you’ll ever have. So very cute, at Sugar & Cloth.

· comments [8] · 01-10-2013 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Crystal // Jan 10, 2013 at 6:19 am

About the stovetop smoker, I’ve had a Cameron’s for years and love it! I’ve smoked every manner of fish and shellfish, chicken, pork even mushrooms. They’er not terribly expensive, easy to use and you can have a lot of fun experimenting with it.

• 2 Rebecca // Jan 10, 2013 at 6:23 am

I keep both my leftover chipotles and tomato paste in the freezer and cut off chunks as needed. (I gave up on tubes of tomato paste since they all seemed to leak in my fridge.)

• 3 Meegan // Jan 10, 2013 at 7:37 am

I second the freezer for the extra chipotle peppers and tom paste, but I take a piece of wax paper and freeze them into little globs then toss them in a baggie, so easy to use.

• 4 TJ // Jan 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

And a third on the freezing chipotle and tomato paste. I put them in a ziploc and pat them out flat before freezing them. It’s easy to just snap off however much I want.

• 5 The Gastrognome // Jan 10, 2013 at 8:51 am

You don’t even need the whole stove top smoker contraption. You can totally smoke in your wok. We’ve done duck breasts a few times, they turn out beautifully.

• 6 megan // Jan 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Gastrognome – We don’t have a wok! Well, we do but it’s non-stick and I don’t think that will do well with the type of heat created by smoking.

Thanks for all the tips on freezing chipotle everybody. Lately things, well labeled and dated things, have been going forgotten in there despite a rather dramatic clearing out so I don’t think of it as my first best option. Because I’m irresponsible.

• 7 Alicia // Jan 16, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Hopped vodka! Would love to try that. I’m pretty sure I could eat a hops salad. Yum.

• 8 Seanna Lea // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’ll have to try freezing the leftover chipotle peppers. I love them, but I use one or two from a can and then pop the can with one of those can toppers in the fridge where it eventually goes bad.

I loved the article on coffee. I’ve had nespresso during a chocolate tour, but I figured that I should spend less money on my coffee, so I have been making my coffee in a woodneck (like a pour over).