finding exercise motivation at the airport [a sponsored post]

Two weeks of travel in November left me feeling a bit run down. I just cannot sleep well when I’m not at home and it leads to all forms of whining. (Frequent travelers who sleep, I salute you. Now tell me how you do it.) Part of the trouble is lower back pain which I’ve had since I was in high school and which has been bothering me again. When I was grousing about all my aches I decided I needed to start a regular exercise schedule again because I have discovered that when I keep my core strong my back pain is no longer a problem. I can sit in the least-ergonomic chairs and sleep in the saggiest mattress and be just fine. Also when you can keep up a sprint pace down long hallways you might not miss that connecting flight. (Which totally wasn’t my fault, who expected a worldwide computer system to crash just before my first flight of the morning? Who thought it would happen all over again for the return flights?) This is all “duh, Megan” information I realize but somewhere I had forgotten how beneficial it is for many different situations. Might any of this also have to do with putting on a bathing suit at Camp Mighty last month? Ha ha ha no! I mean yes, a lot.

So instead of giving in to the excuse that is waiting for New Years resolution time I decided to take this weak glimmer of motivation and start exercising right away. During the most overwhelming month of the year. Wish me luck.

One thing that is helping to propel me along is getting to try out pvBody. This is how it works, they send you a new exercise top and bottom each month for a subscription fee (which works out to two thirds less than the items would cost retail). If you like them you keep them, if not you send them back for a refund and shipping both ways is free. When you sign up you can chose guidelines based on what sort of activity you do (“being comfy” is one of the options) and style you like. They allow you to chose from a bunch options: racerback or camisole? short or long sleeve? low, natural or high waist? patterns or no? colors or all black? I like being that specific and I like not having to try on clothes in a too-warm and harshly lit dressing room. I’m finding having fresh new clothes that are stretchy in the right places and do that wicking thing to be motivating in a way I wasn’t expecting. Girl strong! Girl do extra bicycle crunches!

If you’d like to try it out pvBody is offering Not Martha readers 25% off the first box as well as a a $15 Lululemon gift card when you sign up for membership.

Have you had a point recently that made you freshly motivated? Tell me about it, I hope your story doesn’t involve as many aches as mine.

· comments [23] · 12-5-2012 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Val // Dec 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

I’ve always thought airports should have gyms. Most people are there 1 – 2 hours early anyways! Try some pilates, it’s a great core builder and really fun too!

• 2 jesser // Dec 5, 2012 at 8:08 am

I don’t travel a lot, but when I do, I always have trouble sleeping and what works for me are audio books. They have to be nice happy comforting books – Nora Roberts, Maeve Bincy, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, etc. but I listen to them as I fall asleep and keeping my mind on the story instead of the not-at-home weirdness really helps. And if I wake up in the middle of the night, I turn the story back on to drift off again.

pvBody sounds like a lot of fun. I’ll have to look into a subscription.

• 3 maria // Dec 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

typical web site- doesn’t offer XL! I guess we large girls(not Plus size) are not allowed to exercise. Just wish these companies would realize that the AVERAGE size woman in the US is a size 14 and offer some cute work out clothes for us. I am 5-9 and big busted- need that XL to fir the girls so I guess I’ll pass on this offer

• 4 MrsB // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

I got motivated after seeing a pix of me sitting next to my brother on a couch at his daughter’s wedding. I had tried hard to arrange myself to best effect. Horrible.
    So, came home from wedding. Went to Y – signed up, got some coaching on machines and since I don’t sleep past sun up – I am at the Y at 7 when it is quiet.
    Lost 8 lbs since early Nov – a lot more to go. But a mortifying pix did it for me.

• 5 megan // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

Val – I just came across a mention of an airport hotel that had a gym you could rent by the day. It did involve going through security but I suppose if one had a four hour layover you could make it.

• 6 megan // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

jesser – Good tip! I don’t even have a familiar white noise app on my phone. I used to listen to books on tape when my job was sewing all day, I’ll have to get back into the habit for travel.

• 7 megan // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

maria – That is disappointing, I’ll mention it to them.

• 8 megan // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

MrsB – Good work! I lost some weight a few years back and found it did help to have a “before”, “halfway” and “almost there” picture with me (which I showed to nobody) to remind myself that progress is possible.

• 9 Ann // Dec 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

PV Body sounds really interesting, please keep us updated on how you like it, if you don’t mind! However, like Maria I’m a little afraid that the bottoms would be too small for me…tops would probably be okay, but since the large waist size is 28-30, that makes me nervous since I’m closer to 32. It would be annoying and demoralizing to have to send clothes back every month, even if shipping is free.

And regarding turning points, back pain motivates me too! It doesn’t bother me for a while and I forget, but then it flares up again and reminds me that the payoff for working out is huge! I feel so much better when I do.

• 10 Amy in StL // Dec 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

I guessed that their sizing would be similar to lululemon; which is to say only for the tiny and fit. That sucks because I love the subscription stuff and working out four times a week means my workout clothes get a work out; which I guess isn’t normal for a size 18 girl?

• 11 just barrie // Dec 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

Okay, so I’m the weird lady who goes to a semi-quiet spot at the airport, puts on a yoga podcast, and a few downward facing dogs later I walk on over to huge line where people just wait to wait to wait to get on the plane. When I heard my yoga instructor does the same exact thing, I didn’t feel so crazy ;-) Yoga podcasts come in handy for all my travels–in the off chance I can’t go running outside due to weather or there’s no gym at the hotel or I just want to do something calming, yet a little sweaty before I start my travels. I don’t know what I would do without them!

• 12 EI // Dec 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is an extremely weird idea. Who needs that many exercise clothes? And wouldn’t you want to try them on first?

• 13 EKougi // Dec 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Funny enough, I’m currently in my hotel room, wide awake after only 4 hours sleep. I think the aching in my lower back is what woke me.

Whilst I usually exercise regularly I’ve been flying back and forth between various time zones for the last 2 months, never quite knowing where I am.

Even though I’m semi-disciplined with core exercises at home, being on the road with a constant feeling of tiredness from lack of sleep means all routines go out the window. And then it’s just a spiral downwards until I get home again.

• 14 Lindsay // Dec 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Oh, this sounds fun! I’m an “exercise in whatever old workout clothes happen to be clean” girl typically, but I’m intrigued nonetheless. I’m seriously considering joining up. So I take it you’ve gotten at least one shipment from them? Did you like it enough to keep it?

• 15 maria // Dec 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

forget size 11 or above shoes- they r even harder to find. I am so sick of having to buy mens workout shoes. Target finally carries size 11 shoes after I hounded them for YEARS!

• 16 Amanda // Dec 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

This sounds really cool, but they don’t ship to Canada!

• 17 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

EI – I go through exercise clothes pretty quickly, not sure if I’m just hard on them or something. I also find having more than one set means I don’t have the “nothing clean” excuse. Having an option given to me is appealing.

• 18 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Just Barrie – Having lived in San Francisco, New Mexico and now Seattle I don’t think I’d find somebody doing yoga too strange. I’d likely envy the nice big stretch before sitting in a cramped seat for hours and hours.

• 19 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Lindsay – Yes, I got one shipment and kept both pieces. I actually typed out this entry wearing the top you see there, and a pair of tight, cropped jogging/yoga pants. The shirt is so long that even when seated or stretching it covers the lower part of my back. They were both so comfy that I wore them around the house all day.

• 20 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Maria – Oh no! I’m glad Target finally came to their senses.

• 21 megan // Dec 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Amanda – Ugh, that is frustrating.

• 22 Anne Marie // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:38 am

Hi, Megan,
    Thank you so much sharing this. I just signed up. I love this idea and cannot wait for my first box.
    Exciting! :)

• 23 KWu // Dec 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m with Maria and Ann, very disappointed that they only carry up to a size L. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy or anything, more just perhaps executives somewhere being a bit narrow minded about the size of the market for plus-size active wear. This would’ve been so cool though, especially with the Lululemon gift card–I can mostly get away with their size 12s as long it’s cut on the more generous side and/or of stretchy material…but it can be a bit tough, I’m usually a 14 in regular clothes. Would love to hear more about how the service goes and hope that someone there is listening to the feedback that there should be more sizes!