thing I like: OXO pepper grinder

Earlier this year I accidentally donated our pepper grinder to Goodwill. Don’t worry, it was clean. We’d been decluttering the kitchen and my just washed and reassembled clear lucite pepper grinder went into the donate box. I replaced it with this OXO Good Grips Pepper Grinder which isn’t as pretty but I love it. The part you grab to turn is rubberized so it’s easy to grind. But most importantly for me, the actual grinding bits are at the top. You have to flip it over to grind over food but this means that when I retrieve it from it’s little kitchen shelf any loose pepper doesn’t fall out. Which is great because in my awkward and tiny kitchen I store the pepper grinder on a spot over my head. It’s easy to set the grind, and the other end unscrews so there is a nice wide opening for refilling. Two kitchen gadget thumbs up.

· comments [8] · 12-4-2012 · categories:food · shopping ·

• 1 Emma // Dec 4, 2012 at 5:35 am

I have both the OXO salt and pepper grinders, and love them both. Highly recommended!

• 2 Melissa // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:31 am

Yes! I have the OXO pepper and salt grinders and I love them both. My mom thought I was crazy when I asked for them last xmas and then cooed at them when I opened the box, but well-designed kitchen tools just make food prep SO much nicer. The grinder bits at the top just make perfect sense, and no more mess on my countertop.

• 3 G. // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’ve just about given up on pepper grinders for the prep area (still have one on the table). I’ve gone to using a small mortar and pestle – it’s faster and I can get a much finer grind. And it’s usable for more than pepper.

• 4 Kendra // Dec 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I bought the sea salt grinder for my mother-in-law and her husband and she liked it so much that they bought another for their winter home. It’s good to know that the pepper mill also works well. I tend to like OXO products in general.

• 5 Ann // Dec 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I got one with a gift card I got last Christmas. Love it so much. The different grind levels, the no fuss. Excellent kitchen tool.

• 6 Emily // Dec 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Love the OXO, but *adore* my Vic Firth.

• 7 kerry // Dec 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I also love this. I agree it isn’t the prettiest I’ve seen, but it’s super easy to use with wet hands and I also love that it doesn’t leak pepper everywhere when storing it. I hemmed and hawed but eventually broke down and bought it and it immediately won a spot in my over stove cabinet where space is precious. I probably won’t break it out for company but I do love it while at the stove.

• 8 jean // Dec 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Can’t believe the coincidence. I need a good pepper mill and had decided that the OXO one looks pretty nice. I had put it on my wish list. Waiting to get a good deal at my local Ace Hardware which carries it.