links: food

10 Tricks to Make the Lazy Cook’s Food Taste Better | The GastroGnome. Salting the lettuce in a salad before adding dressing and other things? I have never heard of this.

The Seattle Dog: An Oral History – Seattle Weekly.

Fresh Hop Beers are Here: Where to Get Your Fresh Hop Fix This Year, Seattle Beer News. I will actually be in town for a few of these events, yes!

Campfire Cook | Living Blogs | Martha Stewart. Making damper, “a simple bread that Australian bushmen made when they spent nights out under the stars.” I want to make this sometime soon!

Hand-blended organic teas, delivered monthly | Bird’s Eye Tea. A little birdie told me that Maria from Curio Confections has been baking small bites to include with the monthly tea shipments. I adore everything Maria makes!

The Pizza Lab: The Baking Steel Delivers | Slice Pizza Blog. We have a new winner in the “what to use to cook pizza at home” wars and it is available to us because of Kickstarter, neat.

· comments [7] · 09-25-2012 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Kat // Sep 25, 2012 at 3:38 am

I don’t get people who put salt on salad at all. My dad does it and I’ve tasted it and I think it’s gross.

• 2 megan // Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 am

Oh Kat I looove salted salads, there was a lemon, sea salt and Bibb lettuce salad served at Dahlia Lounge here in Seattle that I still think about. I should have ordered a second one for dessert.

• 3 Louise // Sep 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Try to get your hands on some golden syrup to drizzle over your damper, along with the butter. I made it for my first Australia Day party in Montreal and everyone loved it! Of course, it helps that Australia Day falls in the middle of winter in the Northern Hemisphere, damper and golden syrup makes for delicious comfort food on a cold night!

• 4 Beth // Sep 25, 2012 at 3:50 pm

But . . . I thought salad lettuce should start out as DRY as possible – how would the salt stick? I’m intrigued & want to try it, but dressing doesn’t coat as well on wet lettuce.

• 5 Katie // Sep 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I would have said that we (Australians) didn’t have a national food, but when you mentioned damper, I was thinking ‘What? Doesn’t everyone have damper?’ So there you go, lesson learned. Enjoy! With vegemite if you can.

• 6 megan // Sep 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Beth – I have not tried it yet so I cannot say how it works out, sorry! I do know that salty salads are my favorite.

Louise and Katie – Thanks so much for the tips!

• 7 just barrie // Sep 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I was just thinking about Curio Confections the other day. Has she opened a new place yet? Because I’m craving her homemade marshmallows and her quiches and her strudels and her…please come back, Maria. Preferably to Ballard ;-)