smoking tomatoes at the Palace Kitchen

Earlier this summer I was having dinner at Bravehorse Tavern with Scott and the tomatoes that came with my salad were smoked, it was a delightful surprise. (Though, I suppose they were described as smoked on the menu but I am not known for paying attention, especially when there is a beer menu to peruse.) I put the picture above on Twitter and talked about the delicious smoked tomatoes and, yipee!, the Tom Douglas company (@palace_kitchen) invited me to come see how to make them in the kitchens at Palace Kitchen. I gathered up Maggi and my camera and visited on an early afternoon during dinner prep.

First you make a small cut in the skin of your tomatoes. Say hello to Dezi, hi Dezi!

Lower the tomatoes in boiling water for a few minutes then plunge them into ice water. The skins should wrinkle and be easy to peel off.

Serve some rose! Also know that instead of cherry tomatoes you can cut some good meaty tomatoes into cubes.

The Tom Douglas kitchen have a large smoker that was currently the home to a dozen pork loins, so they showed us how to layer a pan of peeled tomatoes over a pan full of wood that has gotten a good head start. Cover it all so the smoke gets trapped inside.

They use, if I remember correctly, applewood. Here is a charred applewood stick that smelled amazing.

They also showed off using a torch to get wood chips going. Flames! I think Herschell was showing off just a bit here.

Our tomatoes were served on top of chilled melon soup and it was amazing. I honestly miss it.

A peek at the back wall of the kitchen, say hello to Kiss!

Thank you so much Herschell and Dezi for showing us how to smoke tomatoes, and especially for letting us peek inside the kitchens during preparations for the day.

Next I’ll show you the tomatoes we smoked at home. Did it work out? The suspense is killing you.

· comments [9] · 09-3-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 Michelle // Sep 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I think this blogging kick you have been on lately is awesome. I honestly love all the new excitement.

• 2 megan // Sep 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Why thank you!

• 3 Cinnamon // Sep 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Ooh! That’s a great idea. I’ve been smoking onions so we can freeze them and add them to soups/risotto/etc. over the winter for extra flavor. And since it is tomato season, this sounds brilliant. Can’t wait to read the next installment.

• 4 Brett // Sep 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Love the idea. Hadn’t thought of that. We smoked peppers in the BBQ last year. Kinda a success, but took awhile. Mabes we’ll try some toms this year. I also have a book that came with my food dryer that has recipes for adding liquid smoke to add a smokey flavor to the dried veggies.

• 5 kat // Sep 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

We smoke tomatoes on our smoker for sauce and salsa. We don’t even bother removing the skins. The flavor is amazing.

• 6 Adrienne // Sep 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Oooh, the suspense is definitely killing me! I canned 100 lbs of tomatoes over the long weekend, but now I want to buy some more for smoking. Looking forward to the next post :)

• 7 Molly // Sep 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Yum! That’s so awesome that they showed you how! Definitely excited to see how you do it at home.

• 8 Seanna Lea // Sep 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

I wonder if you can smoke tomatoes in a gas grill if you have an appropriate wood plank to place in the grill. Have you tried it yet? I don’t remember seeing a post (though I’m obviously catching up).

• 9 Tami // Nov 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Recently remembered this post after my tomato harvest got them ready for dehydrating and thought I should smoke them first. They turned out fantastic.
    Prompted an idea for a smokey trail mix for fathers day w/ smoked almonds. Thank you for the concept.