Spiral Cut Hot Dogs

spiral cut hot dog

I did a very poor job of capturing these. Probably because my order of focus when we are grilling is:

1. Outside!
  2. Cold drink!
  3. Food!
  4. Documentation.

But I wanted to let you know about these because they are pretty cool.

spiral cut hot dog

To make them you put a skewer through the length of a hot dog (if you are prone to immature humor there is plenty of room for pain jokes here, clearly), then slice a long spiral through the hot dog cutting all the way down to the skewer. Grill it, remove from the skewer, stretch it out a bit and, ta da!, the hot dog is long enough to fit a bun. Also you might find that ketchup stays inside the bun as you’re eating. Chow has a quick video tip on making these: Why you should spiral cut your hot dog for grilling. They take the skewer out before grilling which actually makes way more sense than the way I’ve been doing it. Oops.

· comments [10] · 08-30-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 Jodi Anderson // Aug 30, 2012 at 5:09 am

Okay, now you’ve saved my husband more than once! The first time was years ago when you posted about food carts in, I think, Portland (where he was briefly working).

And, after this, I will no longer roll my eyes at my husband when he spiral cuts his hot dogs! :)

• 2 Seanna Lea // Aug 30, 2012 at 5:37 am

I’ll have to try this with veggie hot dogs, because if I am going to eat them I should try something more interesting than cutting them to add to macaroni and cheese.

• 3 Ashley // Aug 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

I made these back when you first posted the Gawker link and, fwiw, actually thought man, these would be much easier to grill if I’d left the skewer in! I found that the spirals got stuck in the grill bars when I tried to flip.

• 4 ladygoat // Aug 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

I love doing the hot dogs this way! It just seems more fun.

• 5 megan // Aug 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ashley – Ah, this is good to know.

Jodi – Hooray!

• 6 Amy in StL // Aug 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm

There used to be a restaurant/bar here that did spiral dogs and then served them on hamburger buns. They closed about a year ago, but it’s a great idea!

• 7 Heidi // Aug 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I spent part of last night spiral cutting dogs for a bbq this afternoon. Now I wish I’d left the skewers in, but I shall report back on whether my grill has a tight enough weave to keep them from getting stuck!

• 8 Margaret // Aug 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This has become my default preparation for hot dogs and sausages. With practice, it becomes much easier… and better looking!
    I usually do this to cocktail-sized ‘dogs for my toddler’s bento. They look even cuter when they are tiny.
    Glad you tried and liked them!

• 9 Tess // Sep 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Luv how this makes hotdogs look fancy and maybe it’ll help my bacon wrapped dogs stay together better! Thanks!

• 10 State Fair Foods to Make At Home! | Yummly // Sep 8, 2012 at 10:01 am