Project Runway HP Designer Matchup Challenge

Last year I had the opportunity to partner with HP and join in the Project Runway Challenge1 and (I can hardly believe this) they’ve asked me to join them again this year which is extra-super-exciting because it’s the 10th anniversary of Project Runway. Deep breaths everybody, we’re going to get to NYC for Fashion Week again!

This year bloggers2 were challenged to pair with designers to use HP TouchSmart computers to collaborate on a final object/product/thing that we will unveil during Fashion Week. But the kicker? We’ll need your input to shape what we’re making. It’s easy, promise, just answer the poll you’ll find below.

I asked graypants, a conceptual design studio here in Seattle, to join me and I am so excited that they said yes. I first learned about graypants a few years back when some friends and I were setting up a group for small business owners to compare notes. Not only were the very charming Seth and John there but their scraplights were lighting the bar at Vermillion where the group met. Since that time graypants has become huuuge, they’ve moved into an amazing space in an industrial section of Seattle and been recognized by all sorts of publications that I’ve barely heard of. If I’d paid closer attention I would have been way too intimidated to even ask. Seriously.

I got the chance to hang out in their studio and take photos:

Voting closed, thanks everyobdy!

1: Which, let’s face it, I wouldn’t have lasted through the first episode even though my fantastical ravings might have imagined otherwise.

2: Who else is involved? Design Milk (Jamie came up with the idea for collaborating with designers, Jamie is greatness like that), Design Crush, and CapreeK from Curbly (all three of whom I’ve had the pleasure of seeing drunk, or at least up really late, at Alt Summit) and AphroChic (whom I will shortly see drunk or up way past her bed time, her choice, it’s gonna happen).

Here is the deal: HP is giving me (Megan) and the designers (graypants) both HP TouchSmart computers and Photoshop CS6 software from Adobe to use to share ideas. They are also sending us to New York during fashion week to report back on what we’ve collaborated on. (And what gossip we might find out during the HP/Project Runway 10th Anniversary Party. We promise to share pictures.)

Thanks everybody! We’ll be back shortly with sketches and another question to help point us on our way. In the mean time let’s chat. Have you been watching Project Runway? What do you think of this season? I have to admit I’m a few episodes behind because I’ve been spending all my tv time with the Olympics. I feel a bit like I’ve been cheating.

· comments [13] · 08-15-2012 · categories:events · misc ·

• 1 Wendy // Aug 15, 2012 at 5:57 am

Can I choose Italian creme soda instead? I’m not much of a drinker!

• 2 kat // Aug 15, 2012 at 6:47 am

Oh, I’m so jealous! We Project Project Runway designers would love to take our “models” to fashion week.

So far, I’m not sure about this season. There are a few stand out designers in the pack (Ven, Dimitri, Christopher & Sonia), but some crazy judging in my view. The episode where they designed for a past designer had som awful looks! I’m hoping they don’t do too many pretty dress & team challenges this season.

• 3 Jaime from Design Milk // Aug 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’m so excited about this challenge, Megan. I can’t wait to see what your readers choose as the inspiration for what graypants creates!

• 4 megan // Aug 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

Wow! 185 votes already, keep them coming! I’ll investigate to see if there is a way for everybody to see the results.

• 5 megan // Aug 15, 2012 at 10:05 am

Wendy – But of course!

Kat – It would so much fun to see all of your tiny models lined up.

Jaime – I’m really intrigued by this year’s challenge and cannot wait to see what everybody brings to fashion week.

• 6 kurt // Aug 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

I say you challenge the Graypants boys – I like the idea of a progressive design, maybe one that starts with the amber ale and works its way through 6 or 8 of them, then bring on the Kentucky bourbon as a capper…

• 7 tina // Aug 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This is so fun! You are so creative (Megan) and I am in LOVE with those graypants designers… looking forward to seeing it unfold!

• 8 CapreeK // Aug 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oh man. I am so excited for this! Can’t wait to see what the graypants boys come up with… and hang with y’all in NYC! It’s going to be amazing.

• 9 skb // Aug 16, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Dear Megan,
    Did you know that in “certain circles” HP stands for Higher Power. Like, God. I’m just saying.
    Hope it all feels divinely led for you.
    Sarah

• 10 brianne // Aug 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I’m actually just getting caught up on this season tonight! Liking it so far, but still not used to the 1.5 hr format. Its kind of an undertaking to get through an episode!

• 11 ellen // Aug 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

So far so good for Project Runway this season. At least it looks like (nearly) everyone can sew, which makes a nice change. Somme of the guest judges have seemed like silly choices to me, but one must pay the rent.

• 12 megan // Aug 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

I have to admit I’m just now catching up and I agree that the longer episodes lend time for more drama but I also think that we get to see more of the clothes than before. I remember watching past seasons and feeling like we barely got to see what they actually made.

The season so far is dramatastic, and I hope there aren’t any more group challenges, it gets ugly during the justifications.

• 13 lasfibers // Aug 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I have been watching the show this year. Something I really wonder about is do they give these people scripts to follow. Some of the antics just seem too rehearsed and bizarre to actually be real, ya think? I want more about the designing than the catfights. Also I’m designing a workshop for art retreats and wonder if I can use Project Runway in my class title or will they come hunt me down? lol! Curious what you think about that.