thing I like: soup plates

stack of white soup plates

We recently replaced our dishes because our collection had become terribly mismatched. People, dishes that all stack together make me feel like some bit of my life is set in order. My very favorite new dishes are these low bowls from West Elms’s Organic Shaped Dinnerware. They are a perfect soup plate, which I’ve professed my love for before. They are perfect for salads and pastas and things that include a runny sauce as well as being perfect for carrying over to eat in front of the television. Which we do most nights. Soup plates are, I’ve found out, sort of elusive so I might justify buying more.

· comments [28] · 08-8-2012 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 latenac // Aug 8, 2012 at 3:37 am

These are probably too big but your picture made me think of them

I love plates with lips as well. But I think it’s derived more from my love of bowls.

• 2 wendy // Aug 8, 2012 at 4:24 am

Yes – I totally get the plates stacking thing! Bowls are the worst, I drive my husband a little crazy when he empties the dishwasher and I re-stack the bowls in our cabinet afterwards. ;)

• 3 Rebecca S. // Aug 8, 2012 at 4:27 am

We have soup plates too or as we call them “saucers” for some reason. I use them for most things too. I love them for cereal since I think it spreads the cereal and milk out better, but I might be weird. And we eat dinner in front of the TV most nights too. :-)

• 4 Jan // Aug 8, 2012 at 4:31 am

We call them gumbo bowls in South Louisiana and no self respecting home would be without them!

• 5 KC // Aug 8, 2012 at 6:01 am

This is probably a really, really stupid question since it’s called a soup plate, but how are they for soup? I’ve had difficulties with too-rapid cooling with shallow soup (which would be ameliorated by warming the bowls beforehand, but behold, I am lazy). I’ve also had occasional problems with full-ish bowls of brothy soups slooshing just slightly over the edge – if someone accidentally klonks the table a bit, does the more vertical rim on these take care of that problem more than a flatter slope?

In any event, having a bowl that is *just right* to corral salad and to hold pasta without sauce hazards sounds absolutely lovely (especially to someone who has experienced losing unruly greens over the edge of the plate…), so thank you for mentioning these! I’m just curious about the soup question…

• 6 Ann // Aug 8, 2012 at 6:25 am

I love these! I just bought some from IKEA. They don’t seem to be very sturdy, but I love the shape of them (and they were cheap). I always thought they were called pasta bowls!

• 7 Katie K // Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

I just ate a steak of out mine last night. I rarely use any other plate. I love plate bowls! I have a set of 4 pasta bowls (AKA Plate Bowls) I found at Crate and Barrel years ago. They are all chipped now. I have been thinking that I need to replace my dishware since I have been out of college for years and nothing matches. Maybe this is the year?

• 8 Dawn // Aug 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

I use pie pans for the exact same thing. We have a bunch of pyrex pie pans that we just treat as plates. So much better for pasta, stir frys, or anything saucy or “loose” (rice, beans, juicy veggies or fruit, etc) than regular plates!

• 9 Maggie // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

When I moved in with my roommates, they brought with them a stockpile of plate bowls.
    We’ve lived together for three years.
    Coincidence? I think not.
    They’re also considerably smaller than our dinner plates, so they’re perfect for portion control. I share your love for soup plates.

• 10 Michelle // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

When I selected our dish set theHusband was dubious and said “I don’t know, I don’t like that weird flat bowl piece”. I prevailed and now that is his favorite dish, the one we grab for so many of our meals. The dish used least: the dinner plate.

• 11 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

latenac – Those are nice! One of the things I like about soup plates, however, is that they have enough of a flat bottom that you can still cut things if needed, not sure if the bowls you link to would have that ?

• 12 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 am

KC – As far as I can tell they are not actually good for soup, but I’m told that “soup plate” is what they are called. I’m imagining they might be used for soup at a very fancy dinner where soup is one of fifteen courses and it’s presented with a tiny violet flower garnishing the very center. Or something like that.

• 13 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 am

Jan – gumbo bowls! This is very good to know.

• 14 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

Ann – I thought they were pasta bowls too but I hear that pasta bowls are the ones with the wide flat rim. Or something? Before we knew the name we called the PlateBowls.

• 15 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

Katie – The ones shown are very sturdy and have resisted all chances to chip despite my clumsy handling. They are a bit more expensive than I’d normally spend (I’m cheap, and break things!) but well worth it.

• 16 megan // Aug 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’m so psyched that other people find this shape of dish ideal, we must spread the word!

• 17 Jamie // Aug 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I bought these “pasta bowls” from Pier 1 about a year ago… Love ‘em!

• 18 Cathy // Aug 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I bought a set of “low bowls” from crate and barrel about ten years ago. The sales person warned me that they wouldn’t be used. We use them more than any other dish, plate or bowl.

• 19 Tamara // Aug 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I thought they were pasta bowls too! We use our Denby ones for a variety of meals — anything with noodles or is soupy/stewy. I think they look great with a meal served with chopsticks too. I served gazpacho in them recently and thought it worked great!

• 20 SusanO // Aug 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

It’s so good to know I’m not alone in my love for soup plates!

• 21 Alissa // Aug 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm

The Pier 1 bowls are my favorite dishes.. perfect for beans and rice and pasta and gooey sandwiches and …..almost everything :) I matched them with some white plates from Bed, Bath and Beyond for a “set.”

• 22 KC // Aug 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

Thanks for the response! I already use the shape they’re calling rice bowls for soup (but not rice) most of the time, so using soup plates for almost everything else (but not soup) makes a surprising amount of sense. :-)

• 23 megan // Aug 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

Those Pier 1 pasta bowls look great, and they’re on sale right now!

KC – You can have a world filled with different bowls! I like that.

• 24 kris // Aug 10, 2012 at 5:31 am

I have the Aspen low bowls from Crate and Barrel. They are great and have really held up well! The whole set is very nice and I totally agree that these bowl/plates get used more than any other dish.

• 25 Things Every Mom Says | All that makes you… // Aug 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

[...] thing I like: soup plates (notmartha.org) [...]

• 26 Kim // Aug 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

I LOVE low bowls! Most of Crate & Barrel’s everyday dinnerware has a low bowl. I never use our huge dinner plates, I love the smaller size and the curved edge (especially for salads).

• 27 Amanda Z. // Aug 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Am I the only person who calls them blates???? We have a lovely set from World Market and they are used constantly!

• 28 Tracy {Pale Yellow} // Aug 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

My roommates and I bought some soup plates (we call them bowl plates) about a year ago from IKEA and they have greatly improved our lives! Perfect for saucy pasta or entree salads. And soup and chili of course!