thing I like: Mezcal

Somehow I hadn’t tried mezcal until last week. Happily the two of us have been introduced and I think a long friendship will bloom.

Earlier in the month LUPEC Seattle announced the upcoming event would be all about mezcal and a few days later I found myself looking through the menu at Canon here in Seattle (a must visit, fyi). They happened to have a mezcal cocktail that also include a shaken egg white, which is something I’d just been playing around with making the Ramos Gin Fizz. What emerged was a gorgeous drink that had a smokey and almost spicy foam and oh-my-gosh-people it was delightful. I don’t have a picture of this cocktail because it was too dark. Comfortably dark though, a good sort of dark. I’ll be back there often, I live dangerously close.

Above is shown the mezcal drink I had at Mezcaleria Oaxaca while learning all about the spirit with LUPEC. That charred stick is, I think, a smoked bit of agave. It added enough smoke so that every time I took a sip I got a good amount of smokey scent. It was fantastic. They also offer mezcal flights and, no surprise, I prefer the smokier ones.

That thing about the worm? We learned it’s mostly a legend and is only included in the cheap bottles because tourists expect it to be there. Whew.

· comments [14] · 08-3-2012 · categories:drink · food ·

• 1 Judith // Aug 3, 2012 at 6:20 am

Mezcal is the best. Try it with grapefruit juice – simple and complicated all at once.

• 2 Rachael // Aug 3, 2012 at 6:50 am

I love mezcal! I like it with limeade, for a pseudo-margarita. (My grocery store sells a lovely tart organic limeade for the same price as the gross frozen kind, so you better believe that’s what we get.)

• 3 Jessica // Aug 3, 2012 at 7:21 am

My boyfriend LOVES Mezcal. It’s so funny how is literally tastes smokey. There is a drink called Smoke and Flowers at Hotel Delmono in Williamsburg, BK and I highly recommend it!

• 4 Ammie // Aug 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

I adore tequila (very good tequila) and her cousin, mezcal! I love bartenders who can use them in a cocktail that highlights their wonderful flavors without adding loads of sugary sweet syrups or *gasp* margarita mix. For this reason, I mostly prefer to sip them without any added ingredients. Yum!

• 5 Nikki Kelly // Aug 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love me some smokey goodness! I’m actually headed up to Seattle for the first time next weekend so this will for sure be on my list of things to do. Some might call this perfect timing!

Nikki Kelly @ the ambitious procrastinator

• 6 megan // Aug 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Judith – Ooh, that sounds great and so simple, thank you!

• 7 megan // Aug 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

Jessica – Thanks for the tip, I’m taking a NYC trip soonish so if I have time I will seek it out.

• 8 megan // Aug 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

Ammie – Agreed, I am not a fan of too-sweet cocktails. More and more I’m finding bars that make things I like a lot.

• 9 megan // Aug 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

Nikki – Definitely hit Canon if you like complex drinks, but for the flight of mezcals head to the Mezcaleria.

• 10 Erin // Aug 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

That woody, stick-like garnish looks like it may be smoked sugar cane? It also looks delicious.

• 11 April G. // Aug 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I used to love mezcal! Unfortunately I was, um, over served once and now the thought of it makes me sick. There is no hangover worse than a mezcal hangover. Be careful! :)

• 12 megan // Aug 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

Erin – I’m not sure, I did have a little nibble and it was mostly smoky. I suppose I’ll just have to go back and order another and ask :)

April – Oh dear! Heard and understood.

• 13 Amy // Aug 7, 2012 at 8:31 am

I am in Seattle too, got to get on LUPECs list for more cocktailing!

• 14 kohli // Aug 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Mezcal will change your life. It changed mine!