thing I like: Fiddle String wedge sandals

Clarks Fiddle String wedge sandal

I’ve mentioned this before: I have trouble feet. They are long and narrow with a high arch and oh-so-tender skin. They are Princess and the Pea feet and generally unfit for wearing heels. So I was really happy to find these Fiddle String wedges in one of my favorite comfortable shoe stores, Clarks. The leather upper hugs my feet well and balances out the weight distribution and I don’t just slide down into the toes (and it nicely hides the blue vein that that stands out so well through my pasty white skin). The cork wedges are lightweight and give enough cushion to keep me happy. When I was trying them on in the store a lady stopped to rave about how comfortable she finds them. Sold.

When I was shopping for bicycles there was one among the batch that felt like a machine built to hold me rather than just a bicycle. That is sort of the same experience I had trying these on, they felt like a thing for my feet rather than shoes. I sound ridiculous, I am fully aware, but for some reason I think that you should know this. Or at least know this is how my brain works. A thing for my feet, there you go.

Let’s just pretend that I am wearing a more compatible toenail color here, and that it had been more recently and expertly applied:

Clarks Fiddle String wedge sandal

The first time I wore these was to a night out that involved a bit of standing (at the bar at Canon where an insanely delicious cocktail including mezcal and shaken egg white was consumed) and walked a few blocks (to seek out High 5 Pie) and then when I got home I went around opening windows and I didn’t take the shoes off first, they weren’t bothering me. My feet felt great later. It was a world record, um at least when it comes to my feet and heels. So I bought two pairs, the black and the orange. I admit in a fit of indecision I panic-ordered all the colors and I can tell you the orange is a softer and lighter color in person and the platinum is a warmer tone and more metallic than shown online.

So, if you normally find yourself unable to wear heels but find yourself desiring a summer wedge I encourage you to gives these a try. Also they are on sale right now, bonus! At: Clarks, Amazon, Zappos, Endless, Piper Lime, 6pm.

Alright I’m ready for more. Help a girl out, have you found any surprisingly comfortable heels lately?

· comments [23] · 07-31-2012 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Rita // Jul 31, 2012 at 5:39 am

These arent quite heels, more like weird clogs, but I’ve been obsessed with Dansko Sara sandals as I can wear them at work for 8 hours on my feet with no issues. The Clarks are really cute and I love the orange!

• 2 Yazmin @ A Pretty Rock // Jul 31, 2012 at 5:42 am

I went ti=o Clarks this weekend to replace my sandals and I have to say I stared and stared and stared at those same shoes. In that same beautiful orange. I almost tried them on as they were calling me hard.

I may have to return my shoe forms to allow me enough money to purchase these beauties.

If you’re looking for another comfortable shoe that looks great on, check out the Dr. Scholl’s Women’s Wonder Slingback Sandal in brown. It looks great on.

• 3 Elise // Jul 31, 2012 at 6:49 am

I’ve found that wedges are really the best heel solution for me. I can’t/haven’t worn heels much and have always done a lot of walking and commuting which makes comfy shoes a must. I recently bought a pair of really cute wedges at Target for a song and wore them to a friend’s wedding where there was a lot of standing and dancing and unlike the heels I wore to a wedding last year my feet didn’t hurt and the shoes stayed on the entire time. These might rub your feet a bit, but for me they are great, even though they make me super tall.

• 4 jennifer // Jul 31, 2012 at 6:52 am

Yes! I have the same tender feet issues and found these
    I tried them on after a day of shopping and was sold. The first time I wore them was across two airports and around Hollywood for a few hours. No pinching or heel pain.

• 5 Anne At Large // Jul 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

How did I guess they were Clarks? I just spent an unexpectedly overdressed night running around SF at the last minute (while I normally would have put on jeans and flats before I went, in this case I was stuck in a skirt and heels) and I was amazed that my feet weren’t killing me by the end of the night. Love my Clarks! I wear a 12W and they are one of the only people that make my size that have support and padding and don’t look completely orthopedic.

• 6 debra i. // Jul 31, 2012 at 8:04 am

Because I was hosting a big party and knew i probably wouldn’t sit down all night, i splurged on a pair of Naot wedge sandals. They were incredibly comfy and didn’t look the least bit frumped-out. Very worth it! I wear them all the time now. If I hadn’t already blown by sandal budget this summer, I’d pick a pair of those orange Clarks…supercute!

• 7 sprizee // Jul 31, 2012 at 8:28 am

Ooh, I might just have to buy these in the gray color and cross my fingers it’s not too sparkly. Wish they sold them in more colors like chocolate brown, nude, and charcoal gray!

• 8 Nikki @ Tikkido // Jul 31, 2012 at 8:47 am

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I have super narrow feet as well. I can get by with regular shoes for my normal fare (flip flops, sandals, flats), but, for example, the only pair of running shoes that work for me are AAA. Otherwise, blisters galore. I’m so excited to check these out! I might work from home, but sometimes a girl wants to look nice, just because.

• 9 Lana // Jul 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

I know “croc” is a dirty word, but these are real cork and leather, and they don’t have a crocs tag of them! I was highly skeptical, but they are like walking on clouds…. I don’t drive, so I walk everywhere, and these are the first pair of non-flat shoes that I can handle. :)

• 10 Amy in StL // Jul 31, 2012 at 10:36 am

My favorite heels are from NYLA. I bought them off Hautelook and they’re very comfortable for work where I have to walk across a couple blocks of uneven parking lots and cobblestones to get to our building. My favorite heels are my UGG Hazel. They’re very padded but are a little high for walking across ancient cobblestone alleys. My feet never hurt at the end of the day even though they’re easily the highest heels I’ve worn.

• 11 Kate F // Jul 31, 2012 at 11:29 am

I’ve had great luck w the Clarks Artisan line recently. Got a couple pairs of heels last winter that I wore out of the box w no trouble (I also have problem feet, so it felt miraculous). Very impressed!

• 12 Cindi // Jul 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I love these shoes. I bought them myself a month ago. My only problem is that I have very narrow ankles and I can’t get the strap tight enough – even if I put an extra hole in it, it doesn’t really work right. But they are super comfortable and I love the funky yet subtle almost neutral color.

• 13 Christine // Jul 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I’m loving my Teva Ventura wedge sandals (with a buckle) in red. They were from last season but some of the colors are still available online. Just enough heel, super comfortable, and look great with a white jean pencil skirt.

• 14 Sydnie // Jul 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I just bought the Clarks Harwich Cast in black. I have very cranky feet too (I love your description of them being Princess and the Pea feet!). They blister easily, my joints kill me, all kinds of fine whines from me. I’ve had super luck with Clarks lately – I bought my first pair a year ago, and these are my fourth. I wore them all day, every day for a week, walking around airports, walking all over the office, even shopping in the evenings, and NOTHING HURT! They are amazing. I want to buy 3 more pairs for when these wear out.

• 15 megan // Aug 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thank you so much for all these suggestions!

Lana – I will check out those crocs, in the past all crocs have been too wide for my feet and anything with a heel meant my toes just slid out through the front.

sprizee – I hope they bring them back again in different colors as well!

• 16 Heidi C. // Aug 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I LOVE Born sandals…….so comfortable!

• 17 Cheryl // Aug 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Been wearing Clarks for years and love how comfortable and generally well made they are. Haven’t bought any new shoes lately, but love the two pairs of sandals (with chunky heels) that I have.

• 18 Juliann // Aug 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I rarely wear heels because I work on a large university campus and live in the Southwest. So I pretty much live in flip flops and my Dansko clogs. But! I bought a pair of Tsubo heels last year and loved them so much I bought a second pair in black. http://www.zappos.com/tsubo-acrea-black

They aren’t cheap but I find you get what you pay for. I wore them for a night out in San Francisco in which I walked a good 3-4 miles in them. With no fashion injuries to speak of. Not sure I can give a better rating to a shoe.

• 19 Jennifer // Aug 8, 2012 at 6:56 am

These! Indigo, by Clarks.

• 20 Melanie // Aug 9, 2012 at 9:04 am

I mostly wear flip flops these days, but whenever I want height I go for a wedge over a heel. I just can’t do them. The last time I wore heels was my wedding day and that night they went into the “donate” pile. These look super comfy!

P.S. I want that rug.

• 21 megan // Aug 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

Heidi – Borns have usually been too wide for me, but I’ll try again!

• 22 megan // Aug 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

Jennifer – Ooh, I like that they come in gray but I’m a little worried that the heel would rub. How do you find yours?

• 23 megan // Aug 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

Melanie – It’s a front door mat from Target!