Ramos Gin Fizz: a new technique for a classic recipe

This post is in partnership with smartwater. smartwater, simplicity is delicious. Click here to learn more.

Ramos Gin Fizz

The first time I had a Ramos Gin Fizz I was at the Velvet Tango Room in Cleveland, a bar that takes great care and pride in preparing classic drinks very well. The drink was served in tall glass with a long spoon and had a surprisingly delicious citrus scented foam. I remember the foamy part taking up more than half of the glass and the action of pulling it up out of the glass with the spoon was thoroughly enjoyable. We attempted to recreate this drink at home using a cocktail shaker. We shook it for a very long time, trading off when one of us got tired, until we got that hard-to-describe ropey feeling. All we could produce was a liquid drink with a foam top that could be described as limp. It was still delicious but the novelty was missing.

Fast forward a few years and I was looking into what else could be created with my whipped cream maker. I was looking through recipes for mousses, fast infusions and foams when I came across the hint that some modern bartenders use a whipped cream maker to make a Ramos Gin Fizz. I had to try this for myself.

The contenders:

Ramos Gin Fizz

The classic cocktail shaker versus the whipped cream maker, which has lately been put to a bunch of newfangled uses in innovative kitchens.

Ramos Gin Fizz

Tip: if you’re using a cocktail shaker take the spring out of a Hawthorne strainer and put it into the cocktail shaker, it will help create the small bubbles that you’re going for.

And the winner is:

Ramos Gin Fizz

The whipped cream maker did an outstanding job of recreating the foamy drink I remember. It was so easy it felt like cheating. It came out without any liquid part to the drink but as it sat the bubbles popped and a liquid layer appeared at the bottom. The cocktail shaker, despite my best efforts, only managed to produce a drink with a small layer of wet foam that was not nearly as stiff and lovely. I had three goes at shaking the drink, clocking in at 7:30, 10:15 and 10:30 respectively. I would have given it another try but my left elbow protested. The bartenders at the Velvet Tango Room must have mighty arms. For the sake of rushing it to the camera as quickly as possible I didn’t add seltzer water to either of the glasses pictured above, but I do enjoy it being included.

Ramos Gin Fizz in a whipped cream maker

2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1 egg white
1 ounce heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon orange flower water (I used A. Monteux, it comes in a little blue bottle)
about 2 ounces of seltzer

Put your serving glass and the bottle of your whipped cream maker (I have an iSi 1 pint version) into the freezer to chill while you measure out your other ingredients. Place all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 30 seconds to mix and get everything nice and cold. Strain the liquids into your whipped cream maker and charge it according to the manufacturer’s directions. Shake the whipped cream maker about five times, then dispense into your glass. Note: Be careful and stop before all the liquid is dispensed, the last little bit might splatter in all directions. Add a little seltzer to the glass and serve with a spoon.

Ramos Gin Fizz

It is said that the foam should be sturdy enough to hold a straw straight up. Will it?

Ramos Gin Fizz

· comments [39] · 07-26-2012 · categories:drink · food ·

• 1 tracylee // Jul 26, 2012 at 5:59 am

what kind of gin is that?

• 2 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 6:23 am

Thanks for asking! That is Gun Club Gin made by Sun Liquor here in Seattle. They make everything in small batches and do an outstanding job. If you’re ever in Seattle they made really fantastic cocktails too, you can buy dinner and drinks right at the little distillery.

• 3 tracylee // Jul 26, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’ve heard wonderful things about Sun Liquor’s gin! I wish it could be shipped, but I do plan on stopping in when I next head out that way :)
    Thanks for answering!

• 4 Erin // Jul 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Megan: I just saw this link on your Pinterest page and I thought, hey that’s the drink I loved at the Velvet Tango Room a few years ago, so I clicked through. Much to my surprise, your inspiration was the very same.

This drink is, hands down, one of the best cocktails I have ever had. I am so glad you posted this recipe!

• 5 Willa // Jul 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

Another method that might work is what I use to make a pisco sour (a very similar drink, but no cream.) I was taught to just put everything in a blender — whole ice cubes, egg white, lime juice, simple syrup and pisco — and blend on high until it seemed like the ice cubes were all pulverized. It gets a nice dense foam and little bit slushy, somewhere between the results of the shaker and the whipped cream maker. The ratio of ingredients to ice takes a little experimentation to get a thick enough texture without ending up in “blended margarita” slush territory.

• 6 Seanna Lea // Jul 26, 2012 at 9:52 am

Now I want a whipped cream maker, though normally I just make whipped cream in the mixer.

• 7 Kelly // Jul 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

At Perry’s in SF they make Ramos Fizz in a blender, but strain the big ice chunks out so it’s not really slushee-like, more milkshake like. Creamy and foamy for sure…

• 8 Brianne // Jul 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

um, YUM. an a great reason for me to buy a whipped cream maker.

• 9 Amy in StL // Jul 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

This reminds me of a grown-up version of the time we tried to make peach schnapps shakes in college. Ice cream and peach schnapps shaken together and then topped with peach seltzer water. It was very foamy

• 10 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Tracylee – It’s worth it! If you go to the distillery location mention you traveled to visit and see if they will give you a little tour of the big copper distiller, it’s fabulous.

• 11 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Erin – What a fabulous coincidence! I love that place and if I still lived in Cleveland would likely be there every night.

• 12 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Willa – I wondered about that. I saw a few places mention that the RGF could be made in a blender but no actual directions. I also saw more mentions that the blender would destroy the drink and again offered no further details (so frustrating!) so I couldn’t tell if it was actual advice or cocktail snobbery. I’ll give it a whirl (see what I did there?) to find out what happens. Thanks!

• 13 Liz // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I have to ask about that faux bois print behind your photos – is that wallpaper? I love it, where might i find it?!

• 14 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Seanna Lea – Next I’m making mousse, the gadget comes with a bunch of recipes. Also I’ve been playing with using it to rapidly infuse vodkas and it’s awfully fun. But, yeah, my mixer has been just great for whipped cream so unless you want to geek out over it the whipped cream maker is extraneous.

• 15 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Brianne – Yes! I’m having a lot of fun with mine (see my comment #13). More to come.

• 16 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Amy – I love it!

• 17 megan // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Liz – It’s fancy wrapping paper made by Paper Source, the kind you buy by the sheet. I liked it because it wasn’t too feminine and wasn’t reflective (I was having enough trouble photographing so many reflective items).

• 18 Lucy // Jul 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

This looks heavenly! And now, yes, I will break down and buy a whipped cream maker.

• 19 Jen // Jul 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

adorably photo-illustrated :)

• 20 jet // Jul 27, 2012 at 2:52 am

hmmmm this looks yummie.
    have a great summerly weekend;-D

• 21 Fresh Find Friday : The Proper Pinwheel // Jul 27, 2012 at 7:58 am

[...] Floored by the styling. [...]

• 22 Lexy | The Proper Pinwheel // Jul 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Please just move in with me and style all of my meals. This looks fantastic!

• 23 French 75 Cocktail | A HEALTHY LIFE FOR ME // Jul 28, 2012 at 6:22 am

[...] Ramos Gin Fizz: a new technique for a classic recipe (notmartha.org) [...]

• 24 Marie M.C. // Jul 28, 2012 at 10:17 am

My ex always made a Ramos Gin Fizz in a blender. He used cracked ice and blended until the ice was pretty much dissolved. I don’t recall his using lime or lemon just orange water. Loved them. They didn’t get as puffy as yours but still terrific. Maybe he whipped the cream first then folded it in? Can’t remember. Hmmm. Gotta try making them again.

• 25 Lacey // Jul 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I love Sun Liquor! I used to live right down the street from it. They make a mean greyhound! Unrelated: I love your spoons!

• 26 megan // Jul 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Lucy – There are a few more things that can be done with a whipped cream maker that I hope to review shortly. Also, mine came with a lot of recipes for mousse!

• 27 megan // Jul 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Jen – Aw, thank you! I have to admit I went on a last minute panic shopping trip for the faux bois paper that I used as a background :)

• 28 megan // Jul 28, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Lexy – I would but you’d hate it, it would take me at least 48 hours to get dinner ready to present.

• 29 megan // Jul 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Marie – I read a few reports of making it in a blender and most started with the word “never” so I avoided it for this go. But, I have a brand shiny new blender that I’d be happy to try it out in. The traditional recipe does not include ice blended into the drink and a lot of the techniques I’ve seen include instructions on how to serve the drink cold — chill the glass, shake dry and then shake on ice, mix the ingredients and chill for a while before shaking, if using a whipped cream maker bath the canister fill it with the mixture and bath in ice water for 30 minutes — so getting it cold enough to serve and then hold it’s chill seems to be a thing everybody is aware of. I’ll test the blender thing and see how it goes.

• 30 megan // Jul 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Lacey – I’m a new convert to Sun Liquor and I’m in danger of becoming a stalker.

Thanks for mentioning my spoons, I love them too! I bought a service of 8 when I moved into my first apartment and I *love* the silverware and wish desperately (and beg annually) that I could find a service or two to add. They are nicely balanced, turned in at the ends and the wide loop keeps them light weight but allows you to twirl them in a most dramatic fashion. I hope to find more but if I cannot I might have to switch them out but so far I have not been able to find anything that makes me quite as happy. I suspect this silverware is the equivalent of my high school boyfriend — I’ll never find anything as memorable (hormones gone wild!!) but something else will be perfection if I just stop being delusional and gave it a chance.

• 31 jud // Jul 29, 2012 at 8:30 am

Looks great, but in terms of the “old” technique, can you share the recipe you used? I’ve made this cocktail a few times with success just with a shaker, and I think the key step you might be missing is doing a dry shake without ice first, followed by a normal shake with ice to chill. This will help emulsify the ingredients without watering it down. 10 minutes of shaking with ice is certainly going to cause a lot of dilution, which might be why the old one looks so tepid.

• 32 megan // Jul 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Jud – Thanks for the suggestion, for each of the three tries I did a nice long dry shake before adding ice. I might give it a try using larger ice to see if that makes a difference.

• 33 Tamara // Jul 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

When I was a kid, my grandmother’s friend used to invite us over on summer evenings. She always made gin fizzes for everyone to drink (mine sans the gin), which consisted of a scoop of grocery store vanilla ice cream with some gin poured over the top. Whenever, anyone referred to a gin fizz that’s what came to mind until I was about 25, when to my surprise I ordered one and there was no ice cream!

• 34 Aaron // Aug 2, 2012 at 6:37 am

This looks pretty incredible. I love the shake and texture of the cocktail.

Also, really jealous. Would love to get my hands on that gun club gin- quite good from what I’ve heard about it, right?

• 35 KFMasterpiece // Aug 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

[...] Ramos Gin Fizz: a new technique for a classic recipe (notmartha.org) Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. ‹ [...]

• 36 Dorkys Ramos // Aug 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

I’d never heard of this cocktail, but now you know I have to try it someday. It looks fun to make.

• 37 Karen // Feb 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Ha! I love this. I just tried to recreate a cocktail I fell for at Balena in Chicago – the Rosemary No.2, which has Aperol, Campari, fresh sour, a thick topping of sweet-tart egg white foam and a flaming sprig of rosemary. F-in delish! I shook my cocktail shaker for a good 3 minutes, but my foam was kind of sad. Now I’m going to whip out my iSi whipper and try again! Cheers and thank you…

• 38 Cocktail Science: 5 Myths About Ice, Debunked | Dessert Recipe Wall // Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 am

[...] Use a cream whipper. Egg foams are emulsions. But they don’t just contain water and oil. Air also plays an important role in texture. To guarantee an amazingly smooth foam every time, use an ISI whipper charged with N2O to create the perfect foam for a Ramos Gin Fizz [...]

• 39 Cocktail Science: 5 Myths About Ice, Debunked | Recipes Pinboard // Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 pm