links: the home

I have $150 to spend on my patio/deck garden in Seattle. What should I plant and how should I do it? | Ask MetaFilter. Lots of great suggestions for plants that will grow well in this climate.

Sleep Better: Separate Covers for Blanket-Hog Partners – GOOD. I think we will adopt this side-by-side blanket arrangement for the colder months, Scott keeps letting all the cold air rush under the covers!

Cool Tools – Nest Learning Thermostat. I recently found myself giving this thermostat some serious consideration.

Design Crush » Light ‘n Go Bonfire Log.

· comments [10] · 07-19-2012 · categories:links · the home ·

• 1 Eliza // Jul 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Go for it with the Nest. We’ve been totally impressed with ours.

• 2 alkd // Jul 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

my husband & I sleep with our own, separate covers quite often! Not every night, but many nights. it’s really nice when it’s either too hot or too cold. when it’s too hot, separate blankets mean you’re not sharing much body heat (yay!). when it’s too cold, you can use as many blankets as you like without making the other person feel buried (yay!). Plus, if you’re two different heights, there’s never the “stop pulling the covers over my head!” “but I’m just trying to tuck them up to my chin…” debacle.

• 3 Jen // Jul 19, 2012 at 6:54 pm

we do separate covers! my husband is always way colder than I am when sleeping. Even now, in the height of summer, he’s wearing a sweatshirt to bed.

That thermostat is very pretty and nifty, but I can’t really see paying that kind of premium when standard modern programmable thermostats are pretty smart already.

• 4 Jen // Jul 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I take that back. Apparently, ours is not as much cheaper as I thought.

• 5 Katie // Jul 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

We’ve done separate covers since day one, and I think it’s the best. I’m always cold, so I can pile on the blankets without making the mister miserable. And then there’s no fighting over who is hogging the sheets.

• 6 lemniskate // Jul 20, 2012 at 5:55 am

separate covers are the way to go. Overlap a little in the middle for cuddling :) A mattress pad with dual controls is also really, really nice.

• 7 Mia Kluge // Jul 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

My husband and I have a king bed, but twin covers (since a king is simply two twins mushed together). We got twin tops sheets and two Ikea twin-sized feather comforters (in our preferred weights) and then matching duvet covers. He is made of LAVA and needs no covers at all until winter. I need the weight of *something* on me when I sleep, and prefer at least the sheets. It’s a perfect solution!

• 8 kimu // Jul 20, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’ve been seriously debating the Nest for a while. We’ve got a programmable thermostat already, but I like the idea of being able to adjust it remotely, plus the “learning” aspect of it. Right now, the thermostat at our house is a bit of a trial to set up and a general pain – I don’t understand why programmable thermostat companies haven’t invested more in their user interface design.

• 9 Lisa V. // Jul 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I can attest to the wonderful-ness of dual duvet covers on a king sized bed, especially in the wintertime. One fits exactly on a twin bed with no overhang. Mine was passed down from my Norwegian grandmother, my husband’s was purchased during our honeymoon during a stop in England. I make our own covers using sheets, but have also purchased and trimmed/resewn IKEA covers.

• 10 Zanna // Jul 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I adore our Nest. The lazy side of me loves to adjust the temperature from anywhere without having to move more than a couple of fingers. With recent days-long power outages in my area, some Nest owners took refuge at homes of relatives with working electrecity and checked on their own powerless homes by accessing the Nest app to see if the unit was up and running. If it was blue and they could adjust the temp? The power had been restored!

Plus it looks cute. :-)