Happy 4th of July!

long paper package of spaghetti

This, my friends, is a 3-foot long package of spaghetti. Because when I find something like that in a store I don’t leave it there. Our day will be spent with family and friends who are visiting and friends who are already here, I have limeaid and cheese toasts ready and waiting. But July 5th will be devoted to cooking up excessively long spaghetti. Because America is all about excess. Or something like that. Actually the spaghetti is very festive looking in a Big Looming Firework In Your Dining Room sort of way. I hope you have a great day and manage to stay cool!

· comments [17] · 07-4-2012 · categories:food · holidays ·

• 1 Adrienne // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

Ha! We sold that spaghetti at a gourmet food shop I used to work at – in fact my station was right behind it and I got to listen to people laugh at it all day long. The rest of their stuff is great (they make average sized spaghetti, too); I hope you like your pasta!

• 2 megan // Jul 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

The shop I was at, DeLaurenti’s in Pike Place Market, had the regular sized pastas as well and now I regret not getting some of that as well. In the mean time I’m looking up worthy giant meatball recipes.

• 3 Gena@BakeAllTheThings! // Jul 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm

But how will it get into a pot?! :)

Mmm….I now only want cheese toast.

• 4 Sarah J // Jul 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Seriously, I would make regular sized spaghetti and just put a couple of strands in!

• 5 Kerry // Jul 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Be sure to eat it “Lady and the Tramp” style.

• 6 cab // Jul 5, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hmmm…about two strands per serving?

• 7 BellaToniaCH // Jul 5, 2012 at 6:17 am

A grocery store close to where I live sells the same giant spaghetti, along with other giant sized pasta shapes.

• 8 Emily // Jul 5, 2012 at 7:05 am

Woah, that is awesome. Also, this might be a dumb question, but how are you going to cook it? Do you have a giant pot?

• 9 elissa // Jul 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

that is amazing! i probably would have bought it too!

• 10 Christine // Jul 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for the giggle. Of course you had to buy the gigantic spaghetti. I mean, who wouldn’t?

• 11 Moe // Jul 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I didn’t know if it was pasta or a firework! Either way, it’s awesome!

• 12 christie s // Jul 6, 2012 at 4:34 am

Please tell me where you found it? They used to sell that (or one like it) at Trader Joe’s years ago and my kids loved it…would love to find more..

• 13 megan // Jul 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

Christie – This was found at DeLaurenti’s in Pike Place Market here in Seattle. I am wondering if a place like World Market would have these too? Anybody know where else to find the giant spaghetti?

• 14 brianne // Jul 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm

DeLaurenti’s FTW. Always the best there. Cannot wait to see your recap of this. Reminds me of that children’s book – Cloudy with a chance of meatball

• 15 marie // Jul 8, 2012 at 2:49 am

Molino & Pastificio, 7742 Poschiavo, Switzerland : )

• 16 Karin // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

I’m so impatient– did you cook it yet?? Is it just long or also really thick?? And how in the world do you cook such a big/long pasta?!

• 17 megan // Jul 12, 2012 at 11:53 am

Karin – I have not cooked it yet. I found that a friend has a really big pot that I can borrow so I’ve just got to make time to get it from her. The spaghetti itself is the same diameter as regular spaghetti, a little stronger. And it tastes really good when you eat a little bit of it dry. I assume I’ll just have to make sure to do that thing where I slowly push the length of the spaghetti into the boiling water until it’s all inside.