links: shopping

Is there such a thing as a comfortable high heel? How does one transition from wearing flats/low block heels all the time to wearing high heels? | Ask MetaFilter. Also: Where can I get cute shoes for walking that don’t look like running shoes? | Ask MetaFilter. Lots of great walking shoes that don’t look too sensible in the answers here.

Don’t buy this stuff right now | The Wirecutter. This is a note for Scott who has been longing for a larger television.

A Wearable Planter by wearableplanter on Etsy. I love the little ones that mount on bicycles!

Bike Season at Oh Happy Day. If I didn’t already have a bike I love I’d probably be making an excuse to head to San Francisco to check out these made by Public Bikes.

Help me avoid a fitting room meltdown. | Ask MetaFilter. Oh boy do I need the advice in this thread. I have been known to have fitting room meltdown during a session with a personal stylist at Nordstrom, so I know I have it bad.

Toothy The Tooth Ferry Pillow & Illustrated Story Book. I’m still a bit tooth focused around here.

· comments [7] · 05-30-2012 · categories:links · shopping ·

• 1 Liz H. // May 30, 2012 at 4:54 am

I have a Public M8 and I LOVE it! I got back into biking a couple of years ago with a [too expensive] hybrid. A couple of craigslist bikes later–a fast mixte and a heavy Raleigh 3-speed–I knew what I wanted: mixte (fast-ish, still step-through-ish), hub shifter (easy to ride), front & rear racks, stable and pretty :) The M8 is it! My husband bought it for me as a law school graduation gift, and I ride it everywhere!

• 2 Jen // May 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m mostly a flats wearer. I do have some high heels of varying comfort, but it’s hard to say something universal about what makes a comfortable pair, except to say that they do exist, and you should keep trying shoes on. Heels are meant to be close fitting, so the fit will vary a lot from style to style. My most comfortable pair was my wedding shoes. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of satin shoes except for bridal shoes so not much call for them now.

For cute casual flats, I’m currently wearing Keen’s Libby maryjanes (not as sneakerlike as, say, sketchers, but might still be to rugged looking for some tastes.) They’re in their kids line, but go up to the equivalent of an adult 38 (US 8).

Hush Puppies and Clark’s are good options, too.

El Naturalista makes a lot of cute quirky shoes, both flat and not, but they’re very spendy.

• 3 megan // May 30, 2012 at 10:32 am

Jen – thanks for the suggestions!

• 4 Dan // May 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for the mention. We’re pleased that PUBLIC has a wonderful bike shop dealer in the Seattle-area. You can test ride & purchase PUBLIC bikes from Ride Bicycles – http://publicbikes.com/c/Dealers

• 5 Amy in StL // May 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My favorite comfortable heels are my Uggs. I get the added bonus of telling people complimenting my cute platform wedges that they’re Uggs. At this age, it’s the only shock value I have left.

• 6 sprizee // May 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

1) Kitten heels, kitten heels, kitten heels. Yes, I’m obsessed. Also, Worishofer wedge sandals.

2) You don’t have to go all the way to SFO to see a Public bike in person because they carry them in Seattle. My coworker owns a white one with orange accents and it is SO PRETTY. I’m also obsessed with Civica bikes, carried at the Dutch Bike Company Seattle in Ballard (next to Staple & Fancy). So fun!

• 7 Lynn in Tucson // May 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

For grown-up lady shoes, Calvin Klein are consistently the most comfortable I’ve ever worn.