thing I like: Cook’s Illustrated All-Time Best Grilling Recipes

It might seem strange that I grew up in Ohio but never learned to grill but that is in fact what happened. Last weekend we bought a small (but handsome) grill and thanks to Cook’s Illustrated All-Time Best Grilling Recipes our first two meals were outstanding. I couldn’t find the issue online (it will probably appear here) but it’s on newsstands now.

There is a basics of grilling section, including what features to look for when choosing a grill, that was exactly what I needed since I am starting with zero knowledge. All the recipes have charcoal and gas grill instructions and have very precise information on cooking times and desired effect. We’ve made cheeseburgers, T-bone steaks and corn and we were honestly shocked at how great it all turned out. Now, I know that grilling is hard to get wrong but I assure you that I can mess up just about anything. I was ready to declare the weekend a success if I just avoided burning down the deck. I think a lot of our summer will be spent gazing lovingly at our grill with margaritas in our hands.

Look! Actual grill marks! We were so proud!

We like our grill so much we named it Grilby Grilford Grillington III. Or Grilsby for short (it just stuck). We also considered: Price Grilliam, Goodrow Grillson, Grilson Phillips, Grilford Brimley, Grill Smith and Gril Wheaton.

· comments [9] · 05-29-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 Tabitha // May 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You are my kind of wacky. My toaster is Toasty McToasterson, which narrowly won over Toast of Christmas Past and Savory RumpToast. The washer is Hieronymus (it’s a Bosch). And I am not kidding when I say that my children genuinely thought that a pancake spatula was called an Ikentina.

• 2 Nella // May 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Giiirrrrrl, get your grill on!

• 3 Paula // May 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Having grown up in Nebraska, you’d think I would have known how to grill a steak or burger since I was 3! Not so… I now have been schooled by Cook’s Illustrated myself on how to get my Weber charcoal grill fired up and make some yummy stuff! :)

• 4 Anjali // May 30, 2012 at 6:49 am

@Tabitha: Amazing! Especially Ikentina!

What kind of grill did you get? It’s so small and handsome.

• 5 megan // May 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

Anjali – It’s a two-burner Kenmore from K Mart. It’s built just like the larger grills but has plenty of cooking space for us and doesn’t take up too much of our small deck. The side shelves fold down, and they are metal so I can attach magnetic hooks to hold the tongs and turners when in use. I assembled it all myself and didn’t have any trouble and so far we really like it.

• 6 Sarah Rose // Jun 2, 2012 at 6:48 am

My spouse and I have this very experience 1 month ago. Displaced Texans who never learned to grill–a sadder story has never been told, really–who, with the help of “The New Best Recipe,” have consistently made incredible grilled food. Without once setting the house or the food on fire. Try grilling okra. Mind blowing. Tonight, we’re cooking adobo marinated pork and peaches. (How can you resit? https://farmhousedelivery.com/blog/?p=2286)

• 7 Ellen // Jun 4, 2012 at 6:32 am

I am here to say that it’s actually pretty easy to mess up grilling. Who hasn’t eaten a hockey-puck-burger at a cookout? Kudos to you and Scott for taking this on. We bought a grill 4 Summers ago, and I still love it every time. One unexpected use for a gas grill: outdoor stove. I fry chicken once a year, and I always put my cast iron skillet right on on the grill grates. Smell, mess, heat all stay outside the house.

• 8 megan // Jun 4, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ellen – What an excellent use, thanks for mentioning that!

• 9 Colleen // Jun 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Congratulations! I got my first grill last summer and felt the same amazement and pride. You must make grilled pizzas. Don’t try to make them too fancy…heavy toppings are best finished off inside under the broiler… but a lick of sauce, a shower of mozzarella and a confetti of basil are all you need. Ooo! And butter and cinnamon sugar for dessert pizzas. Enjoy your summer!