Pinata Cookies for Cinco de Mayo

Have you seen these yet? The genius pinata cookies? The sort of idea that makes me furious that I didn’t think of it first? I love these. The whole how-to by Sandra Denneler is over at She Knows, bravo.

Happy Cinco de Mayo! I’m still on painkillers so have an extra margarita for me.

· comments [17] · 05-4-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 Liz H. // May 4, 2012 at 4:40 am

I *totally* thought of you when I saw these on Pinterest!

• 2 Laura Phelps // May 4, 2012 at 4:58 am

crap! I am on meds too…no margarita for me either

• 3 alena // May 4, 2012 at 8:16 am

those are redonkulus amazing.

good luck with the wisdom teeth trauma recovery. maybe painkillers + lime jello = same same? =)

maybe not. i will have one for you just in case.

• 4 KC // May 4, 2012 at 8:17 am

Congrats on making it through the wisdom tooth extraction! :-) I can’t think of any pureed Cinco de Mayo food (really smooth guacamole, plain?), but I hope you’re enjoying your jello and mashed potatoes and applesauce and all that, and hope you get to graduate to real food soon!

(note: even after you’re eating stuff, do not eat nuts or carrot sticks or things with seeds or other small hard things in them for at least a week. The results can be less than ideal.)

• 5 Kim // May 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

Love these! I’ve looked everywhere for her burro cookie cutter without success — any idea where to buy one?

• 6 megan // May 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

Kim – I have not looked into it so I’m afraid I have no suggestions. I rely heavily on the baking stores in my area that seem to have every cookie cutter imaginable between them.

KC – Thanks for the tips! I’m being so careful it’s likely I’ll be eating mushy foods and avoiding straws for another month :D

Alena – I do actually have lime jello so I’ll try it and report back!

• 7 Cinco de Mayo Roundup « UltraViolet Catastrophe // May 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

[...] piñata cookies that I found via not martha are so [...]

• 8 Elaina // May 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

These pinata cookies inspired me to make pinata mini pies. They both reminded me of something you would do! pics here: http://www.funfindsformom.com/blog/cinco-de-mayo-pinata-pie

• 9 megan // May 4, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Elaina – How awesome! Love them.

• 10 Chrissy // May 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Looking at these take me back to brunch with my grandparents. My Grandfather loved Mexican food (from living there in his childhood / teen years), so we’d go to these AYCE sunday brunches at the local joint. When I look at these, they make me think that they probably taste exactly like the little sugar cookies they’d have in the dessert section. I wish I was having a party so I could make these!

• 11 Richard // May 4, 2012 at 11:53 pm

@Kim Can’t find burro cookie cutters?
    Make your own with an aluminum can, snips, & tape.
    Search the web for “Homemade goldfish” to find an example at TastyKitchen.com

Good Luck

• 12 Heidi // May 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

I see these cookies and think, “Those are really neat. I used to make stuff like that. Why don’t I make stuff like that?” And then I remember that I have two kids now. Small ones. Maybe someday in the future when they’re older? Until then, I will admire the cookies from afar.

• 13 bev // May 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Ok, these are the coolest cookies I have EVER seen!!

• 14 Kim // May 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm

After looking for “pinata cookie cutter” and “burro cookie cutter” with no luck, I finally found a donkey cookie cutter at the website CooperGifts and just placed my order. I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks.

• 15 Sandra Denneler // May 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Hey Megan… thanks so much! I’m thrilled that you liked my pinata cookie. (I love so many of your projects, it’s quite an honor to have you mention me.) PS. I adapted your felt flower brooch idea and turned it into a mailable Mother’s Day postcard. So cool….. http://www.projectdenneler.com/2012/05/mailable-mum-for-my-mom.html

Keep doin’ what you do! You’re awesome.

• 16 Kim // May 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

FYI: just received the donkey cutter from CopperGifts and it’s perfect. Richard, I like the way you think. This time around I took the lazy path out but I am reminded that I can take my destiny into my own hands next time.

• 17 Cynthia Wahl // Oct 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

Got my donkey cutter on Amazon.com