Pretty foods suitable for wisdom tooth extraction survival

These are all prettier versions of the foods I’m eating after getting my wisdom teeth out this week, pulled from my Pinterest boards.

Coffee jello from That Winsome Girl. I’m going to be making this to be the first thing I eat because, grrrr, need caffiene.

Julia Childs Mousse Au Chocolat from Sprinkle Bakes

Citrus Sorbet from The Cinderella Project

Rainbow Jello Shooter from Jelly Shot Test Kitchen

Layered Cheesecake Popsicle from Cutest Food (though the seeds here would technically pose a problem, I’m loving the idea)

Gelatin Typography at Plenty of Colour

Ice cream scoop on a stick at Martha Stewart

Sky Jello at Belladia

· comments [15] · 05-3-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 emily // May 3, 2012 at 3:22 am

Those look delish – good luck!! Hopefully you have someone to wait on you and bring you all those treats! :)

• 2 Adrienne // May 3, 2012 at 5:14 am

You do realize you’ll be able to drink regular coffee just fine, right? It doesn’t need to be in jello form. ;) Unless you like it that way… personally I think it can be very pretty to look at (love the sky jello!) but I don’t really want to eat it.

• 3 mar // May 3, 2012 at 5:15 am

No sprinkles though – they are the enemy! You’ll be picking them out of your holes for a week!

Citrus sorbet … mmm … and what an awesome idea about the coffee jello! Sugar and caffeine!

Good luck!

• 4 Beth Ellen // May 3, 2012 at 7:00 am

I drank a lot of milk tea (the instant kind)-you can get it at the asian supermarkets.

• 5 Katie // May 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

A lot of yogurt, a lot of pudding and ice cream. I was one of the lucky ones whose pain didn’t go away (my stitches irritated my gums enough that chewing was a no-go the whole week; the second the stitches were removed I was MUCH better) and I found I could chew very soft things like melon, rice, anything that didn’t require very much mouth movement.

• 6 Lana // May 3, 2012 at 10:37 am

My man got his out last year and mashed potatoes (well, whipped, really) were his mainstay. That and the Hagen Daz coconut sorbet. That stuff is amaaaaayyyyzinggggg.

• 7 Dot! // May 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

I had my wisdom teeth extracted in my early 20′s and I ate a lot of rice pudding. Its soft enough and non-acidic so it doesn’t kill your throat and has enough sustanance to actually make you feel full

• 8 megan // May 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

Adrienne – Actually, the day I got home my tongue, lower lip and chin were completely numb so any liquids I put in my mouth half dribbled right back out. It was funny and frustrating. The coffee jello, though, was too hard and needed more chewing than I was up to so I compromised on coffee ice cream, which worked great.

Otherwise I’m doing well! So far cashew/carrot/ginger soup and Bob’s Red Mill instant mashed potatoes have broken up my routine of sweet mushy foods.

Katie – I’m in the lucky camp with you, still achey and swollen, though my surgeon warned me this would be the case. I’ll cross my fingers that once the stitches are gone I’ll recover more quickly.

Thanks everybody!

• 9 Elsa // May 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

I’ve been thinking of you for days, wondering how your recovery was going. Thanks for the update. I was where you are just a year ago; after it’s over, you’ll feel so much better!

• 10 megan // May 4, 2012 at 11:00 am

Elsa – Thank you! So far so good, no startlingly high amount of pain so crossing my fingers it’s a steady recovery from here on.

• 11 Natalie // May 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I had gum surgery a year ago, after a week of bland mush I had smushed black beans topped with smushed avocado. Tasted so good I actually cried.

• 12 Elsa // May 4, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Definitely seconding super-ripe avocado on refried beans, or mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, or anything savory as a break from all that pudding-and-yogurt sweetness. But hands-down the best thing I ate after my wisdom tooth extraction was Indian take-out: saag paneer and vegetable kofta. I assume it was the double-whammy of opiate haze and having fasted overnight that made that the single most delicious meal I’ve ever had.

Glad to hear you’re healing well! Apparently the day or two after extraction is commonly the most unpleasant, so here’s hoping you’re well on the mend!

• 13 katrina // May 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

hope you are healing up well!
    When I had mine out, they did all four at once… and I remember being so swollen that I couldn’t close my teeth together to bite or chew for a good 4 or 5 days.
    towards the end there, I was so desparate for real food, I actually sat and picked a red robin cheeseburger into teeeny tiny pieces small enough to swallow whole.

• 14 theresa // Oct 5, 2012 at 5:34 am

i had all four of my wisdoms removed just a week ago and im still in a little bit of pain and i can finaly put my teeth together but no chewing yet i tried and my jaw feels flimsy lol and it still aches to open my mouth ( still stiff) but i cant wait till im all healed up i want pizza so bad right now im about to put it in a blender.

• 15 Links Loved • Pugly Pixel Blog // Aug 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm