links: beauty

Has anyone used Splat Washables Hair Dye? It says it washes out with shampoo. Does it? | Ask MetaFilter. The person asking tested it and it looks like it works surprisingly well, filing this for Halloween.

Hidden gems at the market | Ask MetaFilter. A question about what unassuming products are overlooked but work really well. I adore that the Queen Helene mint clay mask is mentioned, it’s one of the first products I ever talked about on this site. I used to use it back in high school.

Pretty me up, on the cheap! – drugstore makeup treasures | Ask MetaFilter. Great suggestions in here.

The Mascara Championships: Part One | Nothing But Bonfires. Yay! My go-to drugstore mascara, Cover Girl LashBlast, is #3!

DIY: Easy Skin Toner at Design Mom. Oh my gosh, so easy! So cheap! I’m going to try this.

stylist with “curly scissors” in Southern New Jersey | Ask MetaFilter. Answers include lots of recommendations for a Deva Curl trained stylist.

How to make lip scrub at home at Petite Elefant.

· comments [6] · 03-6-2012 · categories:beauty · links ·

• 1 Megan // Mar 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’ll have to try out that vinegar toner idea. Thanks for all the links.

• 2 just barrie // Mar 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I don’t know about the APV smell that people say goes away. I use it for my shampoo/conditioner, and I can tell you that I usually smell it for at least the morning. I finally figured out a way to dilute the smell where it doesn’t bother me anymore. I dump Grapefruit Essential Oil and Lavender Essential Oil and some water and shake. Now I finally smell great and not like vinegar. Not sure if the oils would work on your face (actually, Tea Tree and Lavender are great for your face, but not in your eyes) but it’s worth a shot to get rid of that nasty smell.

• 3 Alyssa // Mar 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Count me in as a possible AVP convert. I bought a bottle today and I cannot wait to try it out. Pregnancy has given me the skin of a teenager and I’m definitely down for anything that might help AND doesn’t cost a fortune.

• 4 Kathy M // Mar 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Apple cider vinegar……soooo awesome! Also great for reducing bumps on the back side of arms!

• 5 brianne // Mar 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

the mascara discussion is SO helpful. You should see me in the mascara aisle, its always like deer in the headlights because there are so many options I just assume there is something better than what I picked the last time

• 6 megan // Mar 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Brianne – For some reason Maybelline mascaras smudge on me but the CoverGirl ones are great. I like the LashBlast Explosion or whatever it’s called. I also like the Lash Exact because the brush is smaller and a bit more manageable. I’ve bought plenty of super expensive mascaras and they’ve all run or flaked worse than the drugstore versions. Including, sadly, Diorshow which does not play nice at all on my face.