I heart kale

frozen and boxed kale

I have been known to prep and freeze kale but I have to admit there are long stretches of time where my laziness wins over. Rather than be a kaleless household I’ve found some convenient options. The first is chopped frozen and bagged kale from Whole Foods. This is chopped a little smaller than I prefer but it’s good sauteed with a little garlic and hot pepper flakes or mixed in with pasta and olive oil. The other option is shredded kale from Cut ‘n Clean. It has a good recipe on the back of the package and we also use it for steak salad, or just mash some avocado into it for the simplest salad ever. Kale 4ever!

· comments [19] · 02-28-2012 · categories:food ·

• 1 julie.k. // Feb 28, 2012 at 5:29 am

How timely! Just last night I cooked up some kale, chopped it finely and added it to the ricotta I used for ravioli filling. Although I always thought I was more of a spinach person, I REALLY liked the kale! Great flavor – I’ll have to look for the frozen kind!

• 2 Linda // Feb 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Trader Joe’s has kale, chopped and cleaned in bags. I got pretty excited about that.

• 3 deb // Feb 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

I also loooooooooove kale. I think it’s so underrated! It’s cheap and yummy. Although beet greens have been recently climbing up my list…

• 4 Nana // Feb 28, 2012 at 10:05 am

Don’t forget kale chips…wash and dry leaves, spread on a pan, 350-400 oven for 5 minutes. Sprinkle w/salt and/or other seasonings…or not

• 5 Seanna Lea // Feb 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’ve made the kale chips and while I liked them, I did wish that they didn’t get caught in my teeth quite so easily. Is it just a kale thing or was there a way I could cook them to make that less likely?

• 6 SFDC // Feb 28, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love kale. And lately I’ve come across some baby kale from Earthbound Farm (at WF) that tastes AMAZING tossed with a little olive oil and salt. That’s it. It’s so tender and not at all bitter like mature kale. Try it!

• 7 Courtney // Feb 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Earthbound Organics, those people who make the boxed salad greens, also have a baby kales mix that is great. They’re young so they are tender enough to eat raw and small enough that no chopping is required. I’ve seen the mix at Whole Foods and at Ballard Market.

• 8 Sierra // Feb 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

just finished a raw kale salad. so good, so addictive.

• 9 Suzanne // Feb 28, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I make the kale seaweed salad they sell in the deli at Whole Foods and it is positively addictive.
    So. Freaking. Good.
    I use the bag o’kale from Trader Joe’s and it stays good for the 4 or 5 days till it’s gone, even gets a bit better as it sits and the ginger permeates the leaves.

• 10 Lyn @LovelyPantry // Feb 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

I keep Kale and Spinach in the freezer year round. No excuses! lol! I have it fresh when I can.

• 11 megan // Feb 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much for all the additional kale resources! I looked at Trader Joes but didn’t find the bagged stuff, I’ll look again.

• 12 megan // Feb 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Linda – Is the Trader Joe’s bagged kale frozen or fresh?

Nana and Seanna Lea – I’ve attempted kale chips but I think I don’t get it. It was a lot of work for something that shriveled so much. I think I’ll have to try again with the heartier lacinto kale.

SFDC and Courtney – Thanks for the heads up about the fresh baby kale from Earthbound Organics, I’ll have to track that down near me, I think I’d eat a lot more salad with that. (Lately baby lettuces have been letting me down.)

• 13 SusanO // Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Kale salad I found on Pinterest and have been bingeing on:
    1 – slice your kale into thin strips, and marinate in the juice of one lemon and enough Braggs to make it taste right, overnight
    2 – add one chopped up avocado
    3 – top with toasted flax seeds (or whatever – but flax is good for you and is incredibly yummy toasted)

Stupid easy.

• 14 Connie @ Daydream In Color // Feb 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm

That sounds so good…Mmm now I’m craving kale!

• 15 nazila // Feb 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

kale is the new marshmallow. ; )

• 16 Suzanne // Mar 1, 2012 at 12:07 am

The kale I buy at my local Trader Joe’s is fresh usually right next to the arugula and is chopped up a bit, (but I still have to cut out the big veins.)
    The Earthbound Farms organic baby kale is baby and nice, but I prefer the bigger leaves for their crunch factor.

• 17 stef // Mar 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I heart kale too! I still buy the fresh ones to cut up and braise in the pressure cooker with shallot, olives, anchovies and a little bit of red pepper flakes. But when I found these, I’ve been incorporating kale into my breakfasts – kale hash topped with eggs. So good. I’ve not had the Earthbound Farms baby kale, I hear it is good for salads.

• 18 angela // Mar 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm

the butcher at my local whole foods once told me that the sauteed/steamed kale in the prepared section is a great steal if they have it – super light weight that it’s almost cheaper than buying fresh kale =)

• 19 Sara L. // Apr 5, 2012 at 3:11 am

I love it sauteed w/ olive oil, fresh cracked ppr and some dashes of SOY SAUCE…sooooo good. Try it. Kale is a superfood, I eat a bunch a day and buy it from my local grocer. I buy three at a time and go 2x a week….fresh is the best if you can swing it.