links: shopping

the UGC: Spec-tacular. Whitney updates us on where to buy prescription glasses online, which I’m going to do really soon.

How can we recreate/mimic the Anthropologie fashion look, but on a budget? | Ask MetaFilter.

A CUP OF JO: Lookmatic glasses. This is a reminder to myself to get myself some new glasses this year.

· comments [10] · 02-27-2012 · categories:links · shopping ·

• 1 Adrienne // Feb 27, 2012 at 6:24 am

While Lookmatic seems fantastic, I’ve had a lot of luck with Zenni Optical. The most expensive pair I’ve purchased has been $35, with rx. I hate to sound so spammy, but I promise I’m a long time lurker. I just have to spread the good news, since I’m sick of paying $300 for a pair of glasses on a grad student budget!

• 2 Kitty // Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

I bought a pair of glasses online before and I’d do it again! My biggest problem is I have a terrible Rx. Its just out of bounds for more default choices (but I can call and order.. its the astigmatism)
    The biggest thing is you should know what you have (and a updated Rx is good) as well as the frame sizes that works for you. Oh, and the Pupil distance is important. It is better to ask and get the proper number than fudge it

• 3 Van // Feb 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I have bought several pairs of glasses on line and love it! A great resource for getting started on how to buy frames online is the glassyeyes blog:
    It also helps to have an old pair of frames handy to have an idea of what size frames you need.

• 4 Bubbles // Feb 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm

My husband’s first pair of glasses from Zenni just came in today. He has a really really bad Rx (can’t see for anything and astigmatism), so they weren’t exactly the 30 dollar glasses everyone else raves about, but they also weren’t the 400 dollars we usually spend. But I’m impressed enough with them that I’m currently browsing for my next pair of glasses. And I could really use some sunglasses…
    And yes! Pupil distance is very important. If it’s off, you end up with headaches.

• 5 Kristin // Feb 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I actually ordered 2 pairs of glasses yesterday from Eye Buy Direct because they’re having a ‘buy one get one free’ sale this week. Unfortunately, that only covers the price of the less expensive frames and not any upgrades, but it’s still a good deal!

• 6 Kristin A. // Feb 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I just bought two pairs from Warby Parker. Awesome service, got the glasses pretty quick and they give a pair for every pair purchased. I third the pupil distance thing. Don’t forget to have your optometrist measure that for you before you place your order.

• 7 kyla // Feb 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

saw this, thought of you.

• 8 Kitty // Feb 28, 2012 at 5:59 am

Yeah my glasses tend to cost in the 4-500 dollar range. my pair of online glasses was 113 with shipping, and thats only cuz I “splurged” for the transitionish lens as I was curious… figured, why not? :P Oh and the glasses I bought before that, the temple fell apart a week after the garantee, so it would have cost 80 BUCKS to fix. stupid things, I loved them too. I wore shrink wrapped glasses for a year and a half and jumped at the idea of a pair of glasses for 100 dollars, even if the frames would end up breaking sooner (they didn’t….in this case, you DON’T get what you pay for. 500 dollar glasses broke, the 100 buck pair I got online a couple years later did not. ppfft) Oh and my Rx is so bad I can’t wear contacts (sniff sniff) though I think that may have changed now, and if not, in a few years I’m sure I will be able to. :P Hoorah for tech getting better.

• 9 Seanna Lea // Feb 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

That’s a great tip about the Anthro clothes. I decorated shoes last night, because I couldn’t fathom spending over $100 on anything but functional running shoes or boots.

• 10 Nella // Mar 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Megan, if you are nearsighted, ditch your glasses and look into CRT (Corneal refractive therapy), also known as Ortho-K to the rest of the world. http://www.paragoncrt.com Seattle Vision downtown is a provider. The Ophthalmologist is very nice (the receptionist is a b*tch and does not provide good customer service).