fortunes

fortunes from cookies

We had a light installed in our kitchen last week (yay for being able to see what we’re chopping) and I decided to clear away this stack of fortunes that has been collecting on our magnet board for a while. Most of the fortunes are sweet but there is one that is a little haunting: “All is not yet lost.” Somehow that just doesn’t strike me as upbeat.

• Someone is speaking well of you.
  • Your road will be made smooth for you by good friends.
  • Luck is coming your way.
  • The current year will bring you much happiness.
  • Your love life will change for the better.
  • You will have a happy adventure soon.
  • A television program will give you great impetus.
  • You will enjoy good health, that is your form of wealth.
  • You will read some information that will help you.
  • You will soon be involved in many gatherings, parties and communications.
  • The time is right to make new friends.
  • You will receive constructive advice today.
  • Your popularity will increase.
  • Gain a fresh viewpoint, as such should be very helpful.
  • You may have to be patient: think, listen and heed signs.
  • Everything is not yet lost.

· comments [25] · 02-17-2012 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Susan Gibbs // Feb 17, 2012 at 3:02 am

I save all mine and keep them in a mason jar on my desk.

• 2 Emily V. // Feb 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

Well, my favorite was the one my husband opened recently that said “About time I got out of that cookie.” :)

• 3 Rinda // Feb 17, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love collecting fortunes, I turn them into mini art works and then leave them for random people to find. But i often forget where i put them so i will put on a jacket and find them in the pockets.

• 4 Wine Dine Daily // Feb 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

We save ours all the time too. Corina in her big purse ( usually in the side pocket ) and Judit in a decorative box on the kitchen counter…

• 5 Jennifer // Feb 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Yesterday my daughter brought home a “fortune teller” she’d made in school. My favorite among the fortunes she wrote:
    You will lose your shoes

• 6 Kendra // Feb 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

EVERYTHING IS NOT YET LOST
    I don’t know…it’s about what I told my daughter who is in college and called distraught over a test grade. She’s a freshman, and this was the first test of the term in this class, and yet she had already jumped ahead to her GPA will go down, she will lose her scholarship, she won’t get into grad.school, etc. , etc. All is not yet lost is pretty much what I told her…and I meant it be encouraging! Also, talk to the prof., figure out where you went wrong, study hard, and do well on the rest of the tests! She called again yesterday to say the teacher throws out the lowest test score. So indeed, all was not lost! I did NOT say I told you so. :)

• 7 just barrie // Feb 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I save mine also for art projects also. I recently glued a bunch on a memory box and love the results! Just like Rinda, my forgotten ones seem to pop up in unusual places. It’s like finding money in your pocket, but with wisdom attached!

• 8 Erin in PA // Feb 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Years ago when I was in college I kept all the fortunes we got and mod podged them to a photo mat, which I had for a long time and loved the memories it had. Sadly it has been lost in a move (or is in some random box from the moves we have made as “grown ups”) but I will always think of that frame when I am at a restaurant. I should make another one…

• 9 Sarah // Feb 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Tell me you didn’t throw them away! I’m desperate for more fortunes. I’m trying to decoupage a side table with fortunes but it’s taking me forever to collect enough to cover the whole thing . . . especially since our local Chinese place just went under.

• 10 kelly // Feb 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm

My favorite is “Stop waiting! Buy that ticket and take that special trip!” I wrapped it in clear tape and keep it in my wallet always.

• 11 megan // Feb 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Emily V – ha!

Jennifer – That is brilliant, so likely to come true. Smart girl you’ve got there.

Sarah – I did toss them, a lot were yellowed. I know that somewhere around Seattle you can buy just a bag of fortunes, maybe you can find something like that to speed up the process?

Kelly – lovely!

• 12 Lauren // Feb 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I need some fortunes that are a little more helpful: “Stop looking – your keys are in your coat pocket.”

• 13 Bubbles // Feb 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm

So glad I’m not the only one saving them! I have plans to put mine on a red picture frame.

• 14 Meister @ The Nervous Cook // Feb 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

My squeeze once got a fortune that said, “Think of Charlton Heston this week.” I mean, come on — that’s a keeper.

• 15 Crystal // Feb 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Our favorite from our bowl of saved fortunes is “How dark is dark?” Love it!

• 16 Maria // Feb 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I had a fortune in my pocket as I read this: Soon, a visitor shall delight you.

I hope so! Haha!

• 17 nine // Feb 18, 2012 at 2:29 am

It may not be terribly upbeat but I can think of moments where I would have loved if someone told me that (or if a cookie told me that)! Thanks for sharing :)

• 18 Olga // Feb 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm

So far the best I’ve gotten is “Some cookies have no fortune”

• 19 Uncle Beefy // Feb 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I love how many there are of us who save our fortunes, Megan. “A television program will give you great impetus”? That’s kind of odd and random. And, “All is not yet lost”, while not upbeat necessarily, could have come in handy at some times. Especially, after a bout of Chow Mein-laden emotional eating. ;)

• 20 Linda L. // Feb 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I can interpret the “Everything is not yet lost” one for you. See the lucky numbers at the bottom? Well, if you put your money on them, then everything will be lost!! Simple.

My problem with fortunes is I always want to add something to them. Like “Luck is coming your way – but you’ll be facing the other direction.”. Or “A television program will give you great impetus – to turn off the TV forever.”. And “The time is right to make new friends – and dump those losers you’ve been hanging with.”.

• 21 Dianne // Feb 19, 2012 at 5:49 am

I saw that picture and said Oh My! I had the fortune “everything is not yet lost” taped to my computer at work for years — years ago! Just too funny that popped up.

• 22 Seanna Lea // Feb 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

Some of those fortunes are so quirky. I don’t like the cookies, so I usually get out the fortune and give the cookie to my husband. We add the fairly normal “in bed” and “with a yak” to the end of the fortunes. It tends to turn the fortunes into more of an absurdist surrealist experience.

• 23 Bri // Feb 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I like adding “in bed”, too!

* Your popularity will increase…IN BED.

*You will have a happy adventure soon…IN BED.

Always good for a laugh!

• 24 Mom // Mar 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

“Disregard all previous fortunes” is the one my friend, Lisa, kept on her bulletin board forever.

• 25 cordy // Mar 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

The way I see it ‘Everything is not yet lost’ is kind of like saying things are never as bad as they seem, There is light at the end of the tunnel or Don’t give up. It depends on the person who receives the fortune and whether or not they choose to be positive about it or not.