thing I like: Dorot frozen garlic and herbs

Dorot frozen herbs

I have to admit something to you, I only found these because I was attracted to the packaging which is just so European-y. I was walking down the frozen foods aisle at Trader Joe’s trying to avoid looking all the delicious cookies straight in the eye and these bright red trays just screamed, “We are imported! Come fondle our clever packaging!” But I’m glad I found them because I love this stuff. These are small frozen cubes of minced garlic or herbs which you pop out of their tray like ice cubes. So darn easy. You might not think that mincing some garlic is all that much work but my lazy self only sees a cutting board, knife and garlic press that I’ll have to wash later and on a weeknight I’d rather not. I’ll still prep fresh garlic for our slower paced weekend meals but for now I love my frozen stash. I found these at Trader Joes and, ooh, according to Dorot’s website they also have ginger, cilantro, dill and chili.

Dorot frozen herbs

· comments [63] · 02-3-2012 · categories:food · freezerpantry ·

• 1 Colleen // Feb 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’ll definitely have to try these.

I wanted to share a tip that I recently saw on Rachel Ray’s show. She suggested peeling your ginger and putting in a ziploc bag in the freezer. When you need some just pull it out and grate it while it’s still frozen. It makes it easier to grate and prevents waste by keeping the ginger useful for a long time. I’m not usually a RR fan but I’ve been loving this tip.

• 2 Sunday Reads « frulou // Oct 4, 2012 at 5:21 am

[…] Frozen Herbs in Cubes: Trader Joe’s sells frozen herbs and garlic in little cubes. I looked for them last time I was at TJ, but I haven’t found them yet. Sounds like a wonderful idea for those of us who can’t use herbs fast enough to justify buying them fresh. Share this:TwitterFacebookMorePinterestLinkedInTumblrRedditStumbleUponDiggEmailPrintLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. […]

• 3 charlotte // Sep 11, 2013 at 5:41 am

I have been unable to find these wonderful cubes. At one time Target carried them here in Florida I’d love to buy them again!!!

• 4 Split Pea and Lentil Soup | Cooking with Taylor // Jan 6, 2014 at 7:36 am

[…] Joe’s yesterday and came across these adorable frozen basil and garlic cubes, here’s an article about […]

• 5 Vanda // Jan 17, 2014 at 7:03 am

Hi I’m in the UK and came across Dorot frozen herbs which I now love. Have had the garlic, ginger and chilli varieties so. So very useful to have in the freezer. However I am frustrated at how hit and miss it is to find them. Sometimes Tesco have them, sometimes they dont. Usually I can only find one variety and have never seen the basil anywhere. Please does anybody know of a place I can buy these on a more reliable basis? Am happy to shop on line for them if anybody knows of anywhere

• 6 megan // Jan 17, 2014 at 10:38 am

Vanda – I’m afraid I’m unable to advise you, perhaps write to Dorot on Facebook and ask where you might find it? They also have a “find our products” link at the top of their website but for me it defaults to the US – I’m not sure if you would get a different page when you are located in the UK.

• 7 Hannah // Apr 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

I love these things, but try to buy them in bulk only when they’re on sale. I’m thinking of making my own with garlic, as it does start to add up (especially since there are very few recipes I make that don’t have garlic in them and it’s cheaper to do my own). I personally find the ginger, cilantro, and parsley very useful too. I have the chili, but haven’t used it yet. Especially with two kids (toddler and infant) it saves time to have these on hand.

• 8 Lynne // Apr 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I used to buy these little frozen garlic cubes in Montreal (I think they were labelled “Top-it”) but I’ve not seen them since moving to Edmonton, Alberta. I’d love to know where to buy them here. They’re wonderful!!!!

• 9 Barbara // Jan 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I found crushed ginger cubes at a Walmart in Virginia. The packaging is very similar to the Dorot brand. I didn’t see any other varieties, but they may be there.

• 10 Jill // Apr 13, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Found these at Weis and Walmart but went back to Walmart yesterday and they don’t have them now. I love the ginger. I always lose my fresh ginger and these are just perfect.

• 11 Sunday Reads | frulou // Jul 15, 2015 at 7:57 am

[…] Frozen Herbs in Cubes: Trader Joe’s sells frozen herbs and garlic in little cubes. I looked for them last time I was at TJ, but I haven’t found them yet. Sounds like a wonderful idea for those of us who can’t use herbs fast enough to justify buying them fresh. […]

• 12 Max // Aug 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm

I live in Los Angeles and have only been able to find the crushed garlic and chopped basil Dorot products. Trader Joe’s told me today that the cilantro is discontinued (I’m never sure if that means the manufacturer no longer makes it or if their distributor no longer carries it). I emailed the company through their website, but the email bounced back as undeliverable. Any thoughts? Love this product.

• 13 Becky // Mar 29, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Does anyone know if these are organic and free of GMO’s? Thanks!