Zombie Head Cheese

I made you something for Halloween. You can serve it a party. Or maybe make it as a snack for your viewing party of The Walking Dead.

Zombie Head Cheese

These are both made of soft cheese spread on a plastic skull. Easy. Creepy. Delicious. That is, if you can get people to dig in.

Version 1

Zombie Head Cheese

You know that old trick of unwrapping a block of cream cheese and topping it with soy sauce and some sesame seeds? Yum right? I added some food coloring and a life sized plastic skull and called it Halloween worthy.

(This is version #1, a slightly easier version is just below.)

Zombie Head Cheese

First get a life sized plastic skull (wash it really well), some soy sauce, one 12 ounce tub of cream cheese spread and some food coloring. Tint the cream cheese to a fleshy color, I used about 15 drops of red and 10 drops of yellow here.

I found a plastic skull like this one at a local party supplies store, but I really wish I’d managed to find a plastic skull where the top of the head is removable. Something really frightening could be made with that. Spinach dip brains anybody?

Zombie Head Cheese

Then add just one drop of blue food coloring and stir only a few times until the blue appears streaky. Less is more here, it will further streak as you spread it. Now, frost your skull like a cake. Start with the tricky bits around the face first. If you can’t hold the crown of the head to stabilize the skull it makes it much more complicated. Try to keep the teeth clean.

Zombie Head Cheese

A detail of the blue-streaked cream cheese.

Zombie Head Cheese

I used a small flexible spatula to spread this. There is no need to be tidy here, the messier the grossier. Grosser? Grossest? You know what I mean.

You can also stick a few rectangles of parchment paper surrounding the head so you can be a bit messy while frosting and then pull them out after you are done, a trick I learned about frosting cakes. If you can putting the head on a smaller plate on top of a larger plate will be useful to catch the fake blood, and it will be easy to artfully arrange the crackers. Saltines are the traditional cracker for this but these more artisanal crackers I found looked like creepy bandages and still have that bland and salty taste you want. You can frost your head a few hours early and refrigerate. It’s amusing to sit nearby and observe as unsuspecting people open the fridge.

Zombie Head Cheese

Cocktail onions create nice dead eyes.

Zombie Head Cheese

Just before serving mix a bit of soy sauce with some drops of red food coloring and drizzle it over the head so that is streams down. I used a pipette but if you don’t have one handy a small measuring cup with a pour spout or a carefully wielded spoon will work just as well. If you can get the soy sauce to pool around the onion eyes, it looks extra creepy that way. Also sprinkle on some bugs, I mean, toasted sesame seeds.

Zombie Head Cheese

It’s even scarier after it’s been eaten. Yikes.

Version #2

Zombie Head Cheese

This is version #2, it’s slightly less involved. You just need spreadable cheese, cocktail onions and a plastic skull. Let’s face it, just about any pink or orange tinted spreadable cheese will look suitably disgusting.

Zombie Head Cheese

I used this cheese that has reddish port wine streaks in it. I didn’t manage to capture the reddish colors in these pictures as well as I hoped but I promise it was pretty gross looking.

Zombie Head Cheese

I’m smitten. What should I name it?

(See also: The Outtakes wherein I attempt to carve a tongue from Spam and am entirely too successful.)

· comments [59] · 10-26-2011 · categories:food · halloween ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Oct 26, 2011 at 3:42 am

Wow. That does manage to be pretty disgusting looking. I approve!

• 2 Jenny // Oct 26, 2011 at 5:50 am

eeeewwwwwwww … yum. awesome.

• 3 AnEmily // Oct 26, 2011 at 6:50 am

Eeek! If you slap some ham slices on that head too, I’m going to throw up on my laptop.
    “Silence of the Lambs!”

• 4 kat // Oct 26, 2011 at 6:54 am

Oh my gosh, that is deliciously good!

• 5 Starstryder // Oct 26, 2011 at 7:04 am

hehe fantastic…he looks like a Lenny by the way :)

• 6 gfrancie // Oct 26, 2011 at 8:48 am

Name him Horace. That is truly fantastic.

• 7 Marie // Oct 26, 2011 at 8:53 am

No way!! That is crazy awesome!

• 8 Cinnamon // Oct 26, 2011 at 8:53 am

This is awesome! My patience waiting to see what you’ve come up with this year has been rewarded. Yay!

• 9 Helen Jane // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

Gloriously gross! Well done!

• 10 Amy in StL // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

I’ll bet this would work awesome with my favorite cream cheese appetizer which is a block of the stuff covered in half a bottle of chipotle raspberry marinade. When you mix the two instead of pouring the marinade over, it’s an awesome pink color.

• 11 megan // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thanks everybody! I love Halloween.

Amy – That sounds perfect! And very delicious.

• 12 Kathleen // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oh Megan you’re brilliant! Love this idea as much as “meat hand” (that’s become a tradition in our house btw)

• 13 Bonnie // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

I too think this is as equally awesome as the meat hand! I will be ordering that mold for next year.

He does look sort of like a Horace, or a Lector. Either way, he is awesome!

• 14 You had me at Zombie Head Cheese! « wishing for horses // Oct 26, 2011 at 9:46 am

[...] Megan over at NotMartha.org comes through with another great Halloween party idea. [...]

• 15 Kate S. // Oct 26, 2011 at 10:57 am

Wow, that’s awesome . . . but I would never take a bite: )

• 16 Kathy // Oct 26, 2011 at 11:01 am

Too creepy to eat! What a fun centerpiece for your table though.

• 17 Lindsey // Oct 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

Well, this is just awesome. I think it would be perfect for the Walking Dead season finale!

• 18 Zombie Head Cheese | Outlooks & Insights // Oct 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

[...] Reardon of Not Martha has whipped up a wonderfully easy Halloween party snack, Zombie Head Cheese. And while it looks rather gross, it’s really just spreadable cheese on a plastic skull with [...]

• 19 Beth Ellen // Oct 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

Fascinating and repellent at the same time! That’s Halloween!

• 20 Carla // Oct 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Is that plastic skull food-grade? Plastics leach. I sure wish people would be more mindful when purchasing things like that, especially since it’s probably going to end up in your local landfill.

• 21 Arthemise // Oct 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’m concerned about the plastic being food safe too. It could make the cheese taste funny or, worse, be toxic. But I really want to make one!

• 22 LauraJane // Oct 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

This is such an awesome idea. I love it!

• 23 Annie // Oct 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This is the most awesomely disgusting thing I’ve ever seen. Bravo!

• 24 megan // Oct 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m listening to the concerns about food safety and I admit I do not know if the plastic skull I used is food safe. I’ll check with a chemist I know about the possible effects.

• 25 jamieofalltrades // Oct 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Oh wow! That is creepy!

• 26 Insane Halloween Ideas « Lost Yarn Loft // Oct 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm

[...] can’t have creepy party food without a skull! A cream cheese dip and colored soy sauce makes this a perfect centerpiece for your party! [...]

• 27 Magen Toole // Oct 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm

What a great idea. Very cool and effective.

• 28 Amanda // Oct 26, 2011 at 8:12 pm

That looks even better decorated! Awesome!

• 29 Colette // Oct 27, 2011 at 1:06 am

I love you! I made the Meathand last year and it was disgusting. I modified it this year to become Meatfoot, it’s equally as gross. I would love to send you my Meathead photo – it is pretty rude, but made with jello & head cheese…I think you’d appreciate it.

• 30 Zombie Head Cheese [Lunch Time] // Oct 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

[...] (Not Martha via Laughing Squid) [...]

• 31 Emmie // Oct 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

OMG what kind of stores sell the skulls? I must make this for a party on Saturday!

• 32 megan // Oct 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

Colette – Oh yes, Meathead was one of the very first things I posted about on this blog, waaaay back. It’s delightful. Please do send the photo if you have a chance.

Emmie – I found this one at a local party supplies store called Display&Costume. It’s a year round store. I didn’t find the sort of skull I wanted at the pop up Halloween stores or at the national chains. Good luck, I hope you find one!

• 33 Bad Mama Genny // Oct 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hysterically funny! He just looks so…joyful.

This is just like my scarily realistic Flesh Face Meat Skull–mine could sit next to yours on a party table and provide a perfectly balanced, severed-heads-only meal!

• 34 megan // Oct 27, 2011 at 11:37 am

Bad Mama – Ooh, that is bar far the most horrifying meat wrapped skull I have ever seen, fantastic!

• 35 Madame Fromage // Oct 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Gnarsty. I like the pearl onions. Makes me want a martini on the side.

• 36 Jamie // Oct 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Well, if you read Jim Butcher’s books, you will know the only fitting name is Bob.

• 37 Rachel Ann // Oct 28, 2011 at 4:39 am

Omg, that’s totally creep, and yet so cool! And it’s edible! amazing

• 38 Terry P. // Oct 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

That’s awesome, wish we would’ve thought of that when I was a kid, because I had one of those skulls to play with!

I just hope everyone is smart enough to remembers step zero, wash the skull before you dress it.

• 39 All Hallows’ Eve « CollTales // Oct 29, 2011 at 4:01 am

[...] mean you can’t have something holiday-appropriate to eat either. What about a Meat Hand? Or a Cheese Head? We can’t think of better conversation piece for your and your tipsy friends, when the kids [...]

• 40 Happy Halloween. | Soupbelly // Oct 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm

[...] got the idea to make this zombie head cheese from Not Martha. Hers looks a lot better than mine though, but I was pretty pleased with it, this being my first [...]

• 41 Lucy // Oct 30, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Love it! Haven’t seen that cheese in a long time, but need to look for it. Probably won’t use it to cover a skull at this late date, but love it, too.

• 42 Knit 1 Geek 2 » Post Topic » Epsiode 15: BOO! // Nov 2, 2011 at 7:52 pm

[...] Zombie head cheese!  Meatloaf hand!  Tentacle pot pies!  Don’t look at the first two on a full stomach or just before eating. [...]

• 43 Zombie Head Cheese - jesad.com // Nov 9, 2011 at 2:12 am

[...] around the corner, deliciously creepy confections run rampant, and the ‘Zombie Head Cheese’ by Not Martha will creep your guests out while filling up their tummies. And while it looks rather gross, it’s [...]

• 44 Gross Anatomy: Disgusting Halloween Party Food | So Good // Oct 11, 2012 at 6:11 am

[...] Zombie Head Cheese: Again, find a suitable life size novelty skull and lather the Hell out of it with your favorite spreadable cheese. Also suitable if you are throwing a “Raiders of the Lost Arc” screening party. [...]

• 45 Flavorwire » 12 Horrifying Halloween Foods We Dare You to Eat // Oct 11, 2012 at 8:31 am

[...] Head Cheese. Image via Not Martha __reach_config = { pid: '4f63ae61a782f327ce000007', title: '12 Horrifying Halloween Foods We Dare [...]

• 46 Halloween – gesammelte Links 2012 | Ja gut, aber … // Oct 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm

[...] Zombie Head Cheese [...]

• 47 Tale of Two Cities « CollTales // Nov 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

[...] can’t have some holiday-appropriate munchies for dinner either. What about a Meat Hand? Or a Cheese Head? We can’t think of better conversation piece for your and your tipsy friends, when the kids [...]

• 48 dovie // Sep 14, 2013 at 1:32 am

you cld use beer cheese it has tiny bits of pimento in it. tht would look good with the sesame (bugs) too!!!

• 49 crystal // Sep 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I reallllyyy wanna make this for my walking dead viewing party..but did you ever find out about the skull being safe?? Did you clean it before using and if so, how? :)

• 50 Gross Out Your Guests // Oct 1, 2013 at 4:10 am

[...] those who want to go all out for the Halloween, Not Martha offers this recipe, which serves your guests cheese and crackers in the form of a [...]

• 51 Frightening Foods (and Drinks) for Your Halloween Bash | Dilettante Deconstructed // Oct 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

[...] Zombie Head Cheese [...]

• 52 lisa // Oct 13, 2013 at 9:00 am

just wrap skull in saran wrap or foil after washing ;]

• 53 4 Strange (and Spooky) Halloween Treats - Artistic Sensations // Oct 15, 2013 at 6:01 am

[...] chip and dip tray. A plastic skull from a party supplies store makes the perfect base for this creepy canapé. Wash it well, then prepare to transform it into an awesome [...]

• 54 Zombies im Netz :: Zombies im Glas und auf dem Teller - Zombie-Essen Halloween-Rezepte - nicht nur für Zombies :: Zombies im Netz // Oct 28, 2013 at 3:39 am

[...] Die zweite Seite mit einigen hervorragenden Superrezepten für Halloween ist das englischsprachige Blog Not Martha, alle Rezepte sind illustriert mit wundervoll grusligen Fotos! Was darf’s denn dieses Jahr zu Halloween sein? Vielleicht eine fiese Fleischhand? Oder ein Spinnenkuchen? Ah, natürlich, du bist bestimmt verrückt nach dem Zombie-Kopf aus Käse! [...]

• 55 HSSPA » Halloween: History and How to Celebrate in Cambridge // Oct 29, 2013 at 4:03 am

[...] can include Rotten Devilled Eggs or Zombie Head Cheese. For your main, try Squid Ink Risotto, Spooky Spiced Shrimp or Bat Wings. For something sweet, [...]

• 56 A Tale of Two Cities (Revisited) | CollTales // Oct 31, 2013 at 2:59 am

• 57 Top 10 Spooky Halloween Dips And Appetizers - Top Inspired // Oct 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

[...] DIY project, recipe and photo credit to notmartha.org [...]

• 58 Spookalicious Halloween Treats | Webicurean // Oct 31, 2013 at 1:09 pm

[...] Zombie Head Cheese Halloween Deviled Spider Eggs Halloween Ghost Flatbread Witch Hats Pizza Pumpkin Patch Spicy Cheeseball Jack O’Lantern Stuffed Peppers Pizza Pumpkins Mummy Calzone Mummy Hot Dogs Avocado-Wasabi Spider Eggs [...]

• 59 Amanda // Nov 2, 2013 at 8:26 am

I did this with a fruit dip, food coloring and cock roaches and colored the eye sockets . It was amazing everyone wanted to make one like it.