links: shopping

I want to invest in good quality lady’s undies that are not too frilly but also well made and will be comfortable. Do these exist? | Ask MetaFilter. Target stopped making my very favorite undies so I’m also searching for a new brand.

Cheap, Cheerful Flowers For Your Next Party | The Awl. How to juj grocery store flowers.

swissmiss | BuckyCubes. Cubes! I think I have just found my go-to Christmas gift.

Splurge vs steal! « Door Sixteen. The iHurst DIY kit for a make your own diamond encrusted replica human skull.

The Crazy Target Experience :: Missing Missoni. – Modern Kiddo. The Missoni stuff was so gone from my Target as well. I got there so late that they’d even taken down the displays indicating where the stuff used to be.

Cool Tools: Coby CV198 Noise Cancelling Headphones. Noise cancelling headphones are an absolute must have for air travel. Must.

The Cat Ball. I don’t have cats (allergic) but I suspect they’d get a big obsessed over this. It’s made by a local Seattlite! I’m thinking presents for your feline pets, yes?

Cool Tools: Fels-Naptha.

· comments [21] · 09-29-2011 · categories:links · shopping ·

• 1 Meaghan // Sep 29, 2011 at 5:33 am

Regarding underpants – Hanro. I would wear them if they came in my size. I hear they’re the best unnerwears in the world.

• 2 Shannon // Sep 29, 2011 at 7:12 am

re: undies, I can’t believe no one in that list mentioned Soma. Pretty, hold up well, they have a “vanishing edge” collection and they have great sales frequently. I have most of my “sassy pants” from there and a lot of practical ones too. The stores are in many malls. (good bras too.)

• 3 Nicole // Sep 29, 2011 at 8:32 am

Fels-Naptha is the best! I give to everyone I know who is having a baby – it is great on kid stains! We can get in the grocery stores in PA for less than $2.00

• 4 jamieofalltrades // Sep 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

I loved the Missoni for Target story!

• 5 marielle // Sep 29, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thanks for the MeFi undies link!

I recently discovered that GapBody has started selling 100% cotton undies again – they used to be my go-to and then at some point they got all spandexy. Nice to see that 100% cotton options are back – hope it lasts.

• 6 just barrie // Sep 29, 2011 at 9:32 am

While I was making laundry detergent yesterday one of the recipes called for Fels-Naptha. While I’m a homemade soap kinda gal, I just thought it was a coincidence that I’ve never heard of this soap and here I am 2 days in a row hearing about this very product. Weird.

• 7 Betty // Sep 29, 2011 at 11:09 am

Oh – the cat ball!! I’m onto that. I don’t share my home with any (wish I could), but it’s wonderful!

• 8 Cathy // Sep 29, 2011 at 11:13 am

Is the flower article satire? I’m trying to imagine a land where grocery store flowers are considered affordable and farmer’s markets are unaffordable. Mind boggling!

• 9 Steffy // Sep 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

These Maidenform undies are probably the most comfortable underwear I’ve ever purchased. I get them at Kohls whenever underwear is on sale, for a really good price. They are slimming, comfy, and pretty.

• 10 megan // Sep 29, 2011 at 11:59 am

Cathy – It’s not outright satire but it is at the Awl so it’s written with a certain amount of recklessness. The flowers at my farmer’s markets are pretty darn expensive.

Thanks for all the extra underwear links everybody! I’m an all-cotton girl myself and Target stopped making my go to kind.

• 11 mcauliflower // Sep 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm

gotta say- the underwear search is what got me making my own… (sometimes I recycle old tshirts this way).

• 12 Melanie // Sep 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

My very favorite underwear are Thunderpants from New Zealand. They’re super comfortable and available in awesome prints. You

• 13 Sara L. // Sep 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Well, I gotta go along with a few of the Mefites and say that Victoria’s Secret cotton undies are great. I have some pairs that have lasted ten years. Not expensive, cute, comfy.

• 14 Star // Sep 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Regarding cats and dogs for those with allergies, here’s information about a company I heard about, which has genetically modified the animals to effectively eliminate the problem: http://www.allerca.com/. The per pet cost nearly gave me a heart attack, but, according to them, they take good care of the animals, and have to fight unfounded PETA claims. Finally, no, I do not have anything to do with this company. As for undies, if you can get the Sloggi brand, their cotton is soft and durable, and they have various styles from traditional grandma to contemporary go-go-girl.

• 15 Jen // Sep 30, 2011 at 6:10 am

Regarding underwear (and bras and pjs too!) try Soma’s vanishing edge line. They cover enough without making you feel like a granny, and no pantylines!

• 16 allison // Oct 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm

These DKNY cotton undies are my new standard. So very comfortable and they’ve got some va-voom, too. I just picked up a passel at the Rack for about $5/ea. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/dkny-cutie-cotton-bikini-buy-save/3087064?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=3370

• 17 Susan O. // Oct 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

There was a relatively large display of the Missoni clothing at my Target this weekend. Sadly, I felt it looked very cheap. I do not understand the desire for it. The colors were just…muddy.

• 18 ansley // Oct 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I have been buying Steve brand underwear from Nordstrom Rack for a while. They are briefs that run about $2/pair. They do not ride up, are super comfortable, and wash well…a cotton spandex blend in black, white and tan. I can’t find a link to them online.

• 19 Ginger // Oct 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’m a big fan of Gap’s. They are really comfy, but not disgusting.

I tried the Soma, but I don’t like the little grippy edge that clings onto my legs.

• 20 Jen // Feb 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Megan:
    Were your faves the Gillian and O’Malley that were sold three-to-a-hanger for $9.99? I loved those. So sad they’re no longer available.

• 21 megan // Feb 29, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Jen – Hipster cut cotton with the thin elastic edges? Exactly those! The similar ones Gap body had are apparently being phased out too.