Missoni for Target

Missoni for Target items with zig zags

As you might know the Missoni for Target stuff was briefly in stores earlier this week. I say briefly most reports it was all gone about an hour after the stores opened. Modern Kiddo has a great report from the scene, complete with a spy picture from Shutterbean showing some shopper taking four whole carts of stuff.

zig zag skirt made by Erin MacLeod

When I saw the Missoni line I saw something familiar. The picture above shows a skirt I bought from Erin MacLeod. I think the skirt was made from a vintage fabric and is similar enough that when I put a picture on Twitter last Thursday Natalie asked if I was sitting in the Missoni for Target pop-up shop that was going on that evening. Sadly, no, I didn’t make it to the pop-up shop.

By the time I made it to a Target the day it was released the shelves that formerly help Missoni items were bare. I encountered one other Missoni hopeful and by the time I left she’d only found one child’s sweater. So, do you think Target will do another run of the Missoni stuff? Should we all brace ourselves for round two?

· comments [20] · 09-15-2011 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 Laura // Sep 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

Gee that’s ugly stuff. Reminds me (shudder!) of the 70′s. There were similar upholstery fabrics in much better color combinations.

• 2 megan // Sep 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hee! Missoni has been around for a long time. I don’t find the patterns ugly, but I do find that put together in a jumble is a not the best way to present them.

• 3 Codi // Sep 15, 2011 at 11:59 am

They will be sending more merchandise to the stores. My brother works there and he said, “the sale is going on for a month, of course there is more merchandise to go out. We just didn’t anticipate these women would be nut cases about it. All the stores will get more, it won’t be like day one, but they will get more in random shipments.”

• 4 megan // Sep 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Codi – Thank you! I might get a pair of those tights yet.

• 5 Judy // Sep 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Have been reading about this all over the internet. My whole Missoni/Target experience left me with such a bad taste in my mouth that I wouldn’t go back and buy a thing if they restocked. I found it odd that I got to Target at 8:15am and didn’t see much but kids’ stuff. From being undersupplied (manager said towels never even came in and quantities sent were very low and he couldn’t understand why with the HUGE advertising that had been done) to the EBAY people piling everything in their carts, to the quality issues (throw blanket bald in places and did NOT look like photo online), this retail debacle has been called “Missoni Impossible”, “Targetgate” and at the Budget Babe my favorite: “Misssonipocalypse”. Also, there have been reports that merchandise was mainly sent to the East and West coasts – I live on the East Coast and not true at my store!

• 6 tracy // Sep 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm

the black & white pattern is WHERE IT’S AT!!!!! I’ll send you a pic of the dress I scored! It was an XL (the only one left) so I altered it to make it fit. Booya!

• 7 megan // Sep 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Judy – I agree that it appears to have been handled badly, especially that the heavy advertising was out of balance with the amount of goods sent.

Tracy – So cute!

• 8 Lee // Sep 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I managed to get my cappuccino cups, but I was at my Target (Lancaster, PA) by 830am and things were already looking really sparse. Today I went and everything, except a couple pairs of shoes, was gone… I think they totally underestimated exactly how big this was going to get and how excited people were about it. Some of the items I saw up close on day one were kind of shabby in quality, which I don’t imagine Missoni would be thrilled with hearing…If a restock happens, I’ll probably wait it out and see what gets marked down.

• 9 Kristina // Sep 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm

there was still tons of it in my target out here in the boonies, but honestly, i didn’t like most of it, and the only stuff i did like was a bit out of my price range (i realize it’s cheap for missoni, but $50 is still $50). but they ran out of liberty stuff last year and restocked, so i imagine they’ll restock the missoni stuff too.

• 10 Julie // Sep 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm

So not into the Missoni thing! I think I am missing some crucial clashing-colors-appreciation gene.

• 11 jen // Sep 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

It seems that Target should have been better prepared after the Liberty of London release (last summer?). That one was pretty big but probably appealed to a slightly different segment of their audience. ???

• 12 megan // Sep 15, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Lee – I’m not shocked to find the quality was questionable, I have some Target Orla Kiely stuff that I love but is practically not great.

Julie – I’m working hard on developing an eye for this stuff. I’m not doing so well at it :)

Jen – I was part of the Liberty dash and I think that Liberty fans are way more polite. That, like the Orla release, was an example where the first day was a Big Deal but all the additionally stocked stuff for the following weeks was all but ignored. From Codi’s report above (#3) I think the Missoni stuff will be the same. I’m not sure if I’m fanatic enough to stalk my local Target though :)

• 13 Shelley // Sep 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

There is still stuff available online at Target.com; lots sold out, but a few good things if someone were still interested. And you are really in luck if you want a tankini. I think it’s the kind of thing that is interesting as a single piece, but all lined up it starts to look cheap.

• 14 laura // Sep 15, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I’ve got to wonder how much is actual demand and how much is reseller inflation.

• 15 Erica // Sep 16, 2011 at 6:09 am

I’m with Julie…I never really understood the appeal of Missoni. I suppose I should feel relieved!

• 16 megan // Sep 16, 2011 at 10:09 am

Laura – Based on the four shopping carts full of stuff that somebody spotted, and the tights being resold on ebay for $80 the very same day, I think the stuff disappearing was mostly about resale but that doesn’t exist without the demand.

Shelley – I agree that all lined it up doesn’t look good, and I think Target put together outfits of the Missoni stuff that should not be.

Erica – Looking at their very expensive stuff online I can see what would be ugly sweaters if they were made into more normal garments. :)

• 17 kimu // Sep 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m not really interested in this style, but I thought I’d chime in to say that I feel like Target is really pushing an artificial scarcity model when they do these special releases. Just like with the Liberty release last (?) year. They know demand is going to be high, so instead of trying to stock enough for the demand, they don’t stock enough and end up getting a lot publicity out of it. A smart marketing strategy I suppose – until it really starts turning people off (as it did for me a while ago).

• 18 Kate // Sep 17, 2011 at 7:41 am

I live in a pretty mired area of the midwest, so the Missoni stuff wasn’t *gone* the day of, or anything – but it was pretty picked over by the time I got to it. That said – I have a hard time paying $70 for any item of clothing from Target – Missoni, Liberty, or anything else. It’s still Target – I guess I’m an elitist.

I did manage to find a super cute little trench coat for my daughter and a skirt for my older daughter (who will be jealous about the the coat) and some sweet heels for me…all at what I would deem basically ‘reasonable’ prices. I guess sometimes it does pay to live in the middle of nowhere… ;)

• 19 Margaux // Sep 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I may go check out my local target in hopes to be there once a random shipment comes but I prob will just knit a knockoff! Still can’t get over the fact that some people walked away with four carts full!

• 20 Amanda // Sep 26, 2011 at 9:13 am