Fantasy Project Runway Challenge, episode 7: the one with fabric patterns

What’s going on here? HP invited me to play along with the current season of Project Runway and sent me a TouchSmart computer to create my own designs. Along with creating designs I decided to write myself into the show. I am not doing well.

This episode was the one where the designers create their own fabric design, get it printed and then use that to create a look. And this one was where they used HP computers like the TouchSmart I have! My design is above and my swatch is here:

Here is what I had to say about what inspired my swatch: “In high school I was a bit of a misfit geek and loved the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series of books by Douglas Adams (I even had the set of original radio show recordings!). The number 42 plays an important role in the stories and I still note when it pops up around me. I wanted to use it as a symbol but didn’t want to slap 42 all over my fabric so I translated it into binary, cranked the kerning really tight so the numbers overlapped and then used that as a stripe. The sexy librarian look was inspired by my high school job as a page at my local library.”

And here are the accessories from the Piper Lime accessories wall that I chose:

Those shoes are almost exactly like the ones I wore to my very first job interview. That was the place where I ended up learning how to build websites. Ah, memories.

I’m going to have to skip the storytelling today my lovelies, we are dealing with this situation. I went from Fashion Week to a flooded basement in less than 24 hours! It could have been far worse though, knock on wood (or Ikea particle board).

· comments [18] · 09-14-2011 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Laura // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:34 am

I love the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy so much that I had 42 tattooed on my back. Really. So I’m all about this, but I was intrigued by the print even before I scrolled down to read about your inspiration.

• 2 Abbie // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

LOVE the idea/look of the fabric and totally want it to be a real thing I could buy tons of

• 3 Rebecca S. // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think this is my favorite look of yours yet and your pattern is way better than any of the other designers on the show!

• 4 Linnea // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:14 am

42 in binary!?! You are a genius! The stripes are so perfect. I wish this existed. Long live HHGG!

• 5 megan // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

Thanks you guys!

Rebecca – In the defense of the designers on the show, I had a bit more time to think about what I wanted to create :)

• 6 Dusie // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

I would totally use that fabric. I wondered what the encoded message was (before I read the description), and I love that too! totally nerd chic.

• 7 Jodi Anderson // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hi, Megan! I am really enjoying this series. Your designs have been interesting and right on-point, I think.

I love these accessories too.

• 8 Jodi Anderson // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

P.S. My husband and I have a shared word (science) and our birthdates in binary on the inside of our forearms. :)

• 9 Beth Rang // Sep 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I would totally buy this dress. Love the binary code. My husband would get such a kick out of it.

• 10 rachel // Sep 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Very cool! So sorry about your basement :(
    Where did the necklace come from?

• 11 megan // Sep 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Rachel! I’m so sorry I forgot: I chose all the virtual accessories from the Pipe Lime Accessories Wall (shoppable over at Piper Lime). I’ve added the link to the entry as well.

• 12 CitricSugar // Sep 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Now THAT is GeekChic! You should seriously consider printing that fabric. Check out Spoonflower or one of the other DIY fabric sites. That design is just too cool!

• 13 Aimee // Sep 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm

OH so excellent!! I’ve been trying to think of a way to work 42 into some artwork for the house. I love your binary version – very subtle! And the overlapping numerals = perfection. I love the whole look.

• 14 Heather // Sep 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’ve really liked all of your designs and this is no exception. Your print and outfit look great and I too wish they were actually available to purchase! You even sold me on the shoes with the outfit – normally not a combo I would go for, but it works here. Well done!

• 15 megan // Sep 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Aw, thanks you guys! I *love* that there are so many of us that are geeky.

Citric Sugar – I might consider it, they’ve made it so easy to do these days. Thanks for the encouragement.

• 16 Danni // Sep 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

i LOVE this idea, but I was always under the impression that the binary of 42 was 101010… I’m not 100% sure on where yours starts and ends, but I can’t make out your binary print too well.

• 17 Bobby // Sep 19, 2011 at 7:26 am

I would never have figured out what the number was in binary.. but it’s a great idea. Looks really cool!

• 18 Wehaf // Sep 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Danni is right – 42 = 101010 (32 + 8 + 2). Your design is still pretty snazzy, though!