Styled magazine

The second issue of Styled magazine is out today! (Styled is an online magazine and it’s free.) I’m so excited to tell you that I have an Autumn project in it! I made pie dough lattice cookies that are meant to sit on top of a mug of hot apple cider. I cannot wait to see the rest of the issue. And this time it’s also available in print through MagCloud.

I took a set of photos showing how to create the lattice that couldn’t fit into the spread so I’m including them here. (Typical, when asked for three photos I send two dozen!) This is something I learned while watching the old Martha Stewart show (memories!), and you can see it on the Martha Stewart site right here. Also a tip for my cookies: once these are cut it’s easier to remove the dough around them than to try to move them one by one onto a cookie sheet. Instead lift up the parchment they are on and slide it onto your baking sheet, I used a cutting board as a sort of peel.

I’m sad to see summer gone, but I’m also looking forward to sweaters and hot cider!

Click through to see the complete pie lattice how-to.

Roll out two rounds of dough, rolling each between two layers of parchment will make this super easy. Cut into strips.

Move the strips apart carefully.

Fold back every other slice.

Lay down one strip of dough from the other section of dough.

Fold the strips back.

Now fold the other strips of down back over the one you just laid down.

Put down another strip of dough from the other set.

Fold the strips back flat.

Continue on like that until you’ve got a full lattice.

Cut out the cookies, and…

… remove the excess dough from around them instead of trying to move them. Ta da! (They are also dabbed with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar before baking.)

· comments [72] · 09-7-2011 · categories:food ·

• 1 Seanna Lea // Sep 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

These look like a lot of fun and I love the idea of using them like stroopwafel.

• 2 Alysia // Sep 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love this! This would be perfect for after Thanksgiving dinner!

• 3 jennifer // Sep 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

i am so in LOVE with the cookies and with that shot of them on the cider – thank u for your crafty genius – xo

• 4 EB // Sep 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Sweaters and cider? Definitely.

• 5 Kersey // Sep 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Totally smitten by these. Wow. Thanks!

• 6 Meister @ The Nervous Cook // Sep 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Aren’t these just the most precious things ever! Mmm… a cinnamony cookie and a hot apple cider… Or heck, even better: Hot mulled wine!

Thanks for the link to the online magazine; I’m really looking forward to checking it out.

• 7 Erin // Sep 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

These are just the cutest and coziest–they remind me of strupfwafel & I am pondering if there’s a way to incorporate caramel into these….

• 8 Bakesalot // Sep 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Those lattice cookies are amazing! They would look rad piled on top of a cookie base with fruit filling, whipped cream. mmmm

• 9 JAC // Sep 8, 2011 at 8:50 am

Wow! It’s like a light bulb just went off – what an easy way to do a lattice crust for a pie. Flip the parchment over and onto your pie wal-lah lattice pie crust that looks great, thank you!!

• 10 Meaghan // Sep 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm

1. May I please have your brain? It must be an amazing place!

2. These are amazing. My mother will die when she sees them…and subsequently she will be reborn…at which time she will make them and be the envy of all the old ladies in Sun City Grand, Arizona.

Thank you.

• 11 Amanda // Sep 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

you never fail to amaze me

• 12 Beth // Sep 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

So fab! Congrats on Styled Mag. I’m trying this tomorrow!

• 13 Frisky // Sep 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I love them! But won’t the bottoms get soggy with cider steam?

• 14 Amanda // Sep 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

These are charming! Great pics too.

• 15 becca // Sep 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

First, thanks for the magazine tip!

Second, that is the cutest idea! I think I’m going to bake apples in little oven proof bowls the top them with these cookies to serve! Now I need to have a party so I can serve these…

• 16 Alice // Sep 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

Oh I’ll have to try this..I wonder if you could do this with a sugar cookie dough instead…Worth experimentation tonight!!!

Thanks for the link too. I’ll check that out!!

• 17 Debra // Sep 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

You’ve done it again! These are beyond wonderful.

• 18 This Week in Weddings - The Bride's Guide : Martha Stewart Weddings // Sep 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

[...] your eyes on this idea from Not Martha for Styled: Hot (maybe spiked?) apple cider with a lattice cookie on top. It's like a little cup [...]

• 19 Paty Ritchie // Sep 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I loved your tutorial. I’ll try with pie dough and cover chicken pies, apple pies and so one. I’ll direct the instructions on the lattice to your site.

• 20 Autumn Sugar Cookies | sugaranddesign // Sep 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

[...] I found this recipe on Kitchn  for Pie Dough Lattice Cookies.  Here’s the full recipe at not martha. [...]

• 21 Katie // Sep 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Genius. Absolute genius.

• 22 Carrie R // Sep 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

SO glad you posted this! I saw your tutorial in Styled and wanted to “pin” it to Pinterest SO bad, ha! LOVE this!!!

• 23 Tricia // Sep 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

bet the leftovers go great with icecream :D hee hee

• 24 Sue // Sep 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Ingenious! Time to “pin”:)

• 25 KBray // Sep 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

What do you do with the extra pie dough? Reroll it?

• 26 Nicole // Sep 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Hi there!

I just wandered through 12 pages of your previous blog entries looking for something very specific – there was an online craft supplies shop that you had referred to Once Upon A Time… And I canNOT seem to find it!

To be more descriptive, they sold lots of different, cool, small parts for various projects (could be as technical as arduino boards, led lights) to general craftiness (wood paneling contact paper and various shades/sizes of pompom puffs).

Can you remember? The closest I have seen is maaaaybe Cool Tools but I don’t think that is it. Also, I just moved to Seattle! And you are a super blogger :D

• 27 Fall 2011 // To Do List | Alexandra Doffing // Sep 10, 2011 at 11:29 am

[...] to a new one every time!) 22. Walks! 23. University Ave Bar Crawl 24. Chai S’mores 25. Make THESE THINGS! A pastry top for your coffee mug?! Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was [...]

• 28 care // Sep 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm

YUM! i think after i try a regular batch, i may try them with puff pastry…

• 29 Pie Crust Cookies | Chez Shai // Sep 11, 2011 at 7:53 am

[...] sweet pie crust cookies to top your cider mug.  And I even know exactly which pie recipe I would [...]

• 30 Cathy // Sep 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

They look amazing! It would be cool to add food dye to the dough, maybe make all the horizontal strips one colour and the vertical strips another colour. Black and orange cookies for Halloween wuld be cool.

• 31 Myrill // Sep 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yes! Perfect idea for a cozy chat and snack with the girls!

• 32 Cristina // Sep 12, 2011 at 6:52 am

I love this! Ingenious! My husband loves pie crust and cookies… he will love this. This would go great with vanilla ice cream topped with apple pie filling.

• 33 Sue H // Sep 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

Those are SO cute! My father would have loved those cookies. We used to just take the excess dough, roll it out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and cut it with a crinkle cutter (wavy edged rolling cutter thingie) . My father loved those. Thanks for the wonder idea and especially how to achieve stunning results!

• 34 PCTuesday // Sep 12, 2011 at 11:51 am

Adorable!
    May have to try that soon!

• 35 AK Mom // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I can’t wait to try this!! They look so cute!

• 36 Dulzuras Artísticas // Sep 13, 2011 at 2:41 am

Es una maravillosa idea. I like it!!!

• 37 Marja // Sep 13, 2011 at 7:26 am

Nom! Can’t wait to try these out for our 2nd annual Stuck in Seattle Christmas celebration. :)

• 38 Jacq // Sep 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I was wondering what cookie recipe did you use to make those?

they look amazing

• 39 megan // Sep 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Jacq – Click through to see the project in Styled magazine to find out ;)

Marja – Oh, please invite us to the Stuck in Seattle Christmas celebration, we usually stay in town since Cleveland is often snowed in!

• 40 megan // Sep 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thanks again everybody! I had fun making these and I’m glad they are appealing!

• 41 The Motherload » Amy’s Notebook 09.14.11 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

[...] pie dough lattice cookies are stunning (@ not [...]

• 42 Beth @ Hungry Happenings // Sep 15, 2011 at 7:37 am

Megan, your cookies look so perfect and inviting. I just love the idea of serving them on top of a mug. What a great idea for the fall.

• 43 Design Crush » Happy Weekend // Sep 16, 2011 at 10:02 am

[...] own graphic wallpaper with patterned fabric 03/ an underwater art gallery 04/ simple yet impressive pie dough lattice cookies 05/ money trees! 06/ graphic patterned cutlery 07/ the golden mistake 08/ DIY typographic string [...]

• 44 rooth // Sep 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

This is gorgeous and also seems like it takes some time – I wish someone would make these for me!

• 45 Stewed Apples with Gluten-Free Lattice Cookies and Dairy-Free Cinnamon Ice Cream – Or, Apple Pie Deconstructed « ♥ Z's Cup of Tea // Sep 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm

[...] be sweet enough to take care of themselves) served with lattice cookies – an idea I got from Not Martha - and a dairy-free version of the cinnamon ice cream from Demolition [...]

• 46 jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com // Sep 19, 2011 at 7:33 am

How cute!!! Love the idea!

• 47 Susan // Sep 22, 2011 at 10:01 am

I really want to make these, but somehow my dough breaks everytime I want to either move or fold the strips.
    Can anyone help me with a good dough recipe??? It would be very appreciated!

• 48 Pie Top Cookies | Mmmm Moments // Sep 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm

[...] recipe was inspired largely by not martha. Check her out. I’m just learning about her. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

• 49 Amanda // Sep 26, 2011 at 9:14 am

Omg those are just the cutest cookies ever! I so want to try and make them. But I don’t know if I am that talented lol

• 50 Susanne // Sep 26, 2011 at 10:50 am

wow…i´m enthusiastic, but i don´t know which recipe the right for it (sorry my english is not perfect, but i hope you understand me;o) )…i want to try it for some gifts.
    Could you help me, please? i translate your recipe in german by myself.
    thanks and many greeting from germany :o)
    susanne

• 51 Susan // Sep 27, 2011 at 7:48 am

Hi Susanne,

I had some trouble with finding the right recipe as well, but I think I’ve found one that works now:
    - 250 grams flour
    - 1 spoon light brown sugar (bastardzucker?)
    - 150 grams butter
    - 1 teaspoon salt
    - 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Then add the butter and cut it in to small pieces with two knifes. Add 3-4 spoons of water and knead the dough with your hands into a consistent ball of dough. Leave in the refrigerator for one hour and it’s ready to make cookies!
    If the dough get’s too warm it will break easily, so when the strips break when you move them, just put the entire plate in the refrigerator for 5 minutes and the dough will be easier to work with.

Good luck!

• 52 Susanne // Sep 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

oh…thanks a lot Susan :o)
    big big thanks all my friends my friends will be surprised and delighted…and i´m happy

• 53 Today on Pinterest: Autumn Edition — Savvy Eats // Sep 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

[...] Lattice cookies from not martha [...]

• 54 Katrina // Oct 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

These cookies are impossible. They look great but I’m lucky to make an asterisk. Has anyone successfully made this design?

• 55 megan // Oct 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Katrina – The cookies in the photos are cut with the largest of the Ateco set of cutters, so they are 3 and 5/8ths of a inch. I cut each strip just over 1/2″ wide. They take a little care but I promise they are doable!

• 56 Jakki // Oct 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm

omg this is sooo CUTE!!! Would make the perfect applie pie in a mug. :)

• 57 Inspiration: Red « Le Petite Hoot // Oct 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

[...] I love the red mugs, the auburn cider, and the smoky hued cinnamon sticks. And how cute are those lattice cookies topping the mugs! I can imagine a scene like this taking place on those quiet days after Christmas has passed. As you’re winding down and relaxing in the calm that follows the hectic days leading up to, and including, Christmas day. There’s no driving around in traffic led by frantic drivers, no more shopping (last minute, if you’re like me!). It’s just you, the newest craft book you received for Christmas (if you’re also like me), warm socks covering your toes, and the soft lull of Christmas music filling the house. Can you feel it? Image found here. [...]

• 58 Nejla // Oct 20, 2011 at 8:46 am

adorable!

• 59 Nejla // Oct 20, 2011 at 8:47 am

I will make the Turkish version with turkish tea ;)

• 60 » Lattice Top Cookies Cobb's Kitchen // Oct 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

[...] roaming around the interwebs the other day, I ran across an article for how to make lattice top cookies.  Since Anchorage is a chilly place on a good summer day, the allure of a cookie to adorn my [...]

• 61 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids // Nov 11, 2011 at 5:12 am

Those little cookies are just about the cutest things ever! Made my day!

• 62 Leftover Experiment Night « the.sunflower.girl // Nov 14, 2011 at 3:10 am

[...] the extra pie crust from my derby pie. Super simple, they even look like little pie tops.  These tiny pie top cookies aren’t super sweet, but are perfect end to dinner. Probably even better with hot apple cider [...]

• 63 Pam // Dec 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Super Job!! High 5!!

• 64 Melissa // Feb 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Thank you! I made these for my daughter’s 1st “cutie-pie” themed birthday! They were a hit- and so easy & fast to make!

• 65 In Celebration of Pi Day (3/14) – The Coolest Pies You Need to Make Now - Hello Little One Blog // Mar 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm

[...] Pie Cookies (Cheating? Maybe, but I like a good work-around.) [...]

• 66 Azin // Mar 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

i am so in love with this…. very adorable !
    may i ask you how do i make the dough ? non of your links in above working… could you help me please ? :)

• 67 Jane S // Jul 12, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I found the magazine doing a google search. This recipe uses an actual pie crust(no recipe), brush with egg white & sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar. Bake 400 @10 min.

• 68 Recipes: Fall Baking « LADY PIRATE // Oct 25, 2012 at 9:02 am

[...] thing – make the lattice tops! I won’t go into this because there’s already a great tutorial here that I always use for reference, which also has a trick for doing all the small ones [...]

• 69 Pinterest Picks: Fall Favorites! | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids // Nov 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

[...] Apple pie meets apple cider with this ridiculously cute lattice crust mug topper from Not Martha. [...]

• 70 Patricia // Dec 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I love these covers, they would be great for Christmas time as mug toppers for any drinks.

• 71 Susan // Dec 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Used these wonderful little things for indivual apple pies I made in ramakins………..peeeerrrrrrrrrfect

• 72 Lattice “Pie Crust” Sugar Cookies // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm