Fantasy Project Runway Challenge, episode 4: the one with Nina

So I have something exciting coming up, HP is flying myself and four other bloggers to New York City for Fashion Week where we’ll get to attend the taping of the Project Runway season finale! Me! There! I am freaking out over how fun this will be. And of course I’m freaking out about what to wear. And my hair. And makeup. And shoes. (Oh no I need new shoes! Oh no!!) You better believe I’m going to have my camera and a few backup cameras to capture this whole adventure.

What’s going on here? HP invited me to play along with the current season of Project Runway and sent me a TouchSmart computer to create my own designs. Along with creating designs I decided to write myself into the show. I am not doing well.

And now on to something that is rather late, my design for Project Runway episode 3! This episode’s challenge was to design an outfit for Nina Garcia that could transition from a working day into attending events in the evening. The operative words there were for Nina Garcia. You could almost smell the fear through the television screen.

Here is my design:

Here is how I think this would have gone down:

I stared blankly at the wall during the sketching period, completely without ideas. At the last moment I made a dress and jacket combo, which seems so very obvious, and took it in to talk with Nina. She was bored. (Does anybody else have Tim’s advice from so long ago echoing through your head? “Don’t bore Nina!”) At Mood I couldn’t find the fabric in the colors I wanted, a dark rich eggplant, and instead had to settle on three shades of purple. They color was even worse when I got back to the work room. When Tim and Nina came around I was frantic, I spent so long fretting I barely had any time to get anything together to show. “I don’t,” Nina said, “like it.” I spend my interview to the camera only staring straight ahead and whispering “oh no, oh no, oh no.” I didn’t have enough fabric or time to start over, so I went ahead with what I had. I simplified my jacket in order to get it done, and traded detail for good construction. I grabbed these accessories from the Piper-Lime Accessories wall and sort of threw them at my model as she was headed off to the runway:

Here is Scott’s design:

Scott chose a looser silhouette, which intrigued Nina. He chose a lovely plum silk for the pants, a similarly nice one for the top, and a heavier silk for the jacket. On the walk through the workroom Nina liked the muted colors and loved the way the silks felt, but was a bit afraid the combinations could become a bit pajama-like. Scott worked calmly, gave a balanced interview, and chose accessories well.

After the runway show Scott was in the top three and I was in the bottom three. Again. Scott was praised for the way his fabrics moved, and when came down the runway Nina gave that interested little look over the score cards. Heidi didn’t like my look at all saying “I mean, she sent a purple suit down the runway, who does that?”. Nina was bored again and while Michaels Kors decided the look wasn’t what it could have been he came to my defense to point out that it was well made and well fitted and that the skirt length was decent. (Thanks Michael Kors!) Back on the runway for judging I was told my design looked dated, but it was well made. When I tried to explain I couldn’t find the color fabrics I’d hoped to I was told I could have dyed my fabrics. (But come on, we all know that would have ended horribly! Right?)

Scott was voted the winner! And I was second to last. When the loser came into the waiting room I hugged them in that way that indicates I’m sad to see them go but I’m so, so happy it isn’t me. Yikes people! I need to get back into this game!

Ok, fantasy over. I’m seriously frightened over what the challenge for episode 5, which I’ll post tomorrow later this week in my futile attempt to catch up.

Previously: we took on episode one, the one with the bed sheets, episode two, the one with the dog toys and episode three, the one with stilts.

Just so you know: HP didn’t pay me cash money for this post or for my opinions.

· comments [18] · 08-31-2011 · categories:misc ·

• 1 Rebecca S. // Aug 31, 2011 at 4:42 am

I’m loving these Project Runway posts, the commentary from the judges is hilarious! I’m so excited for you that you get to go to Fashion Week, you better keep your camera ready there will be a lot of celebrities there! And what if you got to meet Tim Gunn!?!

• 2 kat // Aug 31, 2011 at 6:02 am

I am soooooo jealous that you get to go to Fashion Week! I like your outfit, does that mean my tastes are dated?

• 3 megan // Aug 31, 2011 at 6:10 am

Rebecca S – Thanks! I am terrified of meeting anybody and at the same time really, really hope I get to!

Kat – Not at all! I’m poking fun at myself in the most extreme way I can muster, I like it too but what I do is try to figure out what they could criticize and then take it to the extreme of that. So don’t worry, it’s not you it’s me :)

• 4 mary // Aug 31, 2011 at 6:28 am

How fun–that software looks pretty cool and the shoes… well they are amazing!
    Mary

• 5 Natalie // Aug 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh, praise baby jeebus, how I love these posts! They make my week.

• 6 js // Aug 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

Hmmmm – what does the back of your dress look like? Because if the back had a daringly deep scoop it might be pretty exciting.

• 7 megan b. // Aug 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

So excited you get to go! Give TG a hug for me!

• 8 Beth // Aug 31, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Holy Smoke! I’m so excited for you (ok, and a wee bit jealous) about your trip. My, you are famous! Enjoying the PR blogging!

• 9 Laura // Aug 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Loving these posts! So excited that you get to go to Fashion Week!!

• 10 CitricSugar // Aug 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m loving the pants design…

And you are way too hard on yourself – that dress is cute. :-) I’d wear it.

• 11 megan // Aug 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Natalie – I’m so glad!

JS – I actually thought about that! But I did a back cut out thing for the pet store challenge (and you’ll also see one for the next look) so I was afraid of using it again. Even though I keep trying on cut out back shirts in stores and loving them.

CitricSugar – You are kind, thank you! But really I’m doing my uttmost to poke fun at myself and take the littlest bit of criticism and blow it up full scale because it’s way more interesting to think up extreme situations in my head. Also I would totally crack if I were under the sort of pressure the contestants are. Seriously!

• 12 lizb // Sep 1, 2011 at 7:33 am

this is one of my favorite things to look forward to each week! you write yourself into the episode so well – i can hear Tim Gunn and the judges saying exactly what you have written! so fun

• 13 Diana @somebodyhealme // Sep 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

You did a much better job than you’re giving yourself credit for. Awesome news about fashion week. You lucky duck!

• 14 Monica // Sep 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

OMGGGG that is AWESOME!

I expect a detailed inventory of the swag bag(s) :)

• 15 Monica // Sep 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

(also, your purple dress is very nina!)

• 16 Blog Fav: Four for the Price of Three | Our Little Gems // Sep 2, 2011 at 5:33 am

[...] start with, not martha posted about her at home design for Project Runway.  We don’t have cable, but I’m [...]

• 17 tracy // Sep 3, 2011 at 10:53 am

i totally LOVE this whole series that you’re doing! That’s SOOOO flippin awesome that you are going to fashion week!! EEEEEP!

Love the purple look.

• 18 Seanna Lea // Sep 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

Your dress suit combo is really great. I wish I had that to wear to work (though it might be a little odd with my super flat red hair).