Strawberry Pizza

pizza with strawberries as a topping

This weekend we visited a neighborhood favorite of ours, Flying Squirrel Pizza Company, and one of their specials was this pizza called The Strawberry Alarm: “An experiment that exceeded all expectations! This is soon to be one of our classics. Tomato sauce, mozzarella, Salumi coppa, organic strawberries, Laura Chenel goat cheese, and chopped walnuts. Spicy and sweet and incredible.” It is good, and really interesting. The strawberries add a bit of sweetness, like with fig pizzas. It made me wonder if a strawberry and basil pizza would work out too.

· comments [22] · 08-1-2011 · categories:food ·

• 1 Hinterland Mama // Aug 1, 2011 at 3:27 am

I just love those unexpected food combinations! Have you tried strawberries with balsamic vinegar? I think Black pepper would go very nicely on that pizza too. Mmmm

• 2 em // Aug 1, 2011 at 4:48 am

Oooh, yum. We have a Vietnamese restaurant round the corner from me that serves a strawberry sweet and sour which is amazing.

• 3 Sally // Aug 1, 2011 at 5:13 am

I put fruit in lots of savory dishes now… you should try a halloumi salad, add strawberry basil and mint. SO GOOD!

I love peaches on pizza too :)

So going to try this!

• 4 Ali // Aug 1, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh wow, that is beautiful. I how at first glance the strawberries slices resemble pepperoni :)

• 5 Elizabeth // Aug 1, 2011 at 8:03 am

Looks delicious I think strawberry basil would work well. My tea house makes strawberry basil scones and they are fabulous .

• 6 Seanna Lea // Aug 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

What is salumi coppa? If it isn’t meat, then the pizza is super awesome. Otherwise, I will have to modify for my little vegetarian kitchen.

• 7 Frisky // Aug 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

@Seanna Lea: Yep, that’s meat. I was just trying to think of something savory and salty and veg that could substitute.

• 8 Miss B // Aug 1, 2011 at 11:07 am

@Seanna Lea and Frisky — if it were me, I’d just add a bit of harder, saltier cheese and maybe drizzle some balsamic reduction on top…(and I think it’s going to be me sometime soon)

• 9 megan // Aug 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hinterland Mama – I have tried balsalmic! There is an ice cream store here in Seattle called Molly Moon’s that has a strawberry balsalmic flavor as well.

Sally – Peaches! I made a peach-basil sangria one year, I wonder if a peach-basil pizza would work?

Elizabeth – That sounds like a great scone!

Seanna Lea – It is meat, a spicy one so anything spicy, maybe even some fresh black pepper the way Hinterland Mama suggests above might work. Or the traditional pizza topping of crushed red pepper perhaps.

Frisky and Miss B – Maybe some mushrooms that have been sauteed with garlic and finished with a little chili oil? There wasn’t too much coppa, about one piece for each slice to add a hit of salty-savory.

• 10 Laura // Aug 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm

definitely trying this out at home!

• 11 Jamie Rose // Aug 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm

That pizza looks delicious and so interesting! I’d love to try it.

• 12 Ellen // Aug 2, 2011 at 3:56 am

This is something I’ve never seen before, and now I’m curious. I didn’t really realize how similar the flavors of strawberries and tomatoes are until I had a “bloody berries” at our neighborhood brunch joint: everything the same as a bloody mary, but w/ strawberry juice instead of tomato juice. It all worked, even the olives.

• 13 Kate Omega // Aug 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

It looks amazing! Might give it a try this weekend. I love sweet and savory mixes.

• 14 Stephanie // Aug 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Oh yummy! That’s beautiful!

• 15 brianne // Aug 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Ooh, we are getting a Flying Squirrel in our ‘hood (Maple Leaf). This makes me SUPER excited (plus they are going to sell Molly Moon’s, so ‘nuf said)

• 16 Lesley // Aug 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm

That sounds delish!

• 17 Sarah // Aug 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Oh, wow, strawberry pizza! I’ve never heard of seen that on the menu in Vermont, but can’t wait to try it out at home.

• 18 TheUrbanMum // Aug 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Now this looks amazing. Strawberries are in abundance for us at the moment in Australia. This will be on my hit list to make with the kids this weekend. Love your site – glad I stopped by.

• 19 Michelle // Aug 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Ooh strawberry pizza, yum! I’m a Seattleite as well, I’ll have to try this place.

• 20 Kristen // Aug 9, 2011 at 3:37 am

Oh, crazy! I have never heard of strawberries or figs on a pizza. This is very intriguing. I might need to investigate further! I suppose I will have to make one myself since I have not come across anything like this in the midwest.

• 21 Kyle // Aug 10, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Ooh, looks yummy – I had strawberry-basil creme brulee recently (on a visit to Seattle, actually – I think the restaurant was called Fonte?) and my first thought was “Tastes like strawberry pizza!”

• 22 Amy // Aug 24, 2011 at 4:30 am

Looks to die for, and the image is so rustic. I’ve only seen strawberries on dessert pizzas, which have never tempted me but this I would try.