links: misc

Tiny holes in your favorite shirts? Kitchen mistery solved. » delicious:days. This happens to me too! I figured out what it was after I started wearing nothing but pajama pants while at home cooking and the holes stopped appearing. (Hooray for soft pants.) This has also been discussed on Ask Metafilter, twice.

HelloGiggles – How to Look Great In Photos.

Black*Eiffel: The Seed Cathedral. This is amazing.

Please share your river tubing hacks. | Ask MetaFilter. I have never been river tubing. I think I have to fix that.

Five reasons why you should be reading “Game of Thrones” « Monstrous Little Voices. I’ll admit I had no desire to read this series of books, then again I have nothing to read right now.

What television show made you realize for the first time that television has the potential not only for entertainment but also for quality storytelling? | Ask MetaFilter.

Movie recommendations for an 11 year old who loved Goonies. | Ask MetaFilter. I loved all these!

· comments [14] · 07-25-2011 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Laura G // Jul 25, 2011 at 6:49 am

I’m on book 4 of the game of thrones/song of ice and fire…can’t put it down…so good.

• 2 kelly // Jul 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

I must concur that omg Game of Thrones is so good. I’m almost at the end of book 5. There are about 12 people at my job that get together and geek out about it.

• 3 Donna Sue // Jul 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one with raggedy shirts–I thought it was my washer and the thinness of the material. (Also glad that aprons are cute and soft pants are comfy.)

• 4 Callie // Jul 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Another rec. for Game of Thrones – I haven’t seen the HBO series, but I loved the books. I picked them up a couple of years ago and read straight through them. They’re a little graphic here and there, but still a great read. For what it’s worth, I’m also a fellow Whedon fan, and tend to hold everything to that standard. :)

• 5 Caitlin // Jul 26, 2011 at 5:45 am

And another pushy suggestion to read Game of Thrones – I started reading it 6-7 years ago, and it’s amazing. So complex, great character development, and absolutely no mercy. You can’t relax and assume everything’s going to be okay, because Martin really doesn’t pull punches. Beyond fantastic.

• 6 Kay // Jul 26, 2011 at 10:07 am

I just started Game of Thrones and am quite intimidated by its length but so far (60 pages or so), I can see why it’s got such hype. The author is speaking at Town Hall this Friday and the $35 ticket price comes with his latest…I’m assuming signed. http://townhallseattle.org/university-book-store-george-r-r-martin-%E2%80%98a-dance-with-dragons%E2%80%99/ I saw Ann Patchett read there last month and loved it. I love her even more now – I’d recommend Bel Canto of hers if you haven’t read it.

• 7 megan // Jul 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Heee! Ok, I’ll try Game of Thrones.

Kay – Thanks for letting me know that the author is in Seattle!

Donna Sue – It’s really common, and I love that we collectively figured out what was causing it.

• 8 Jen // Jul 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I just clicked on the How to Look Good in Pictures because most of the pictures of myself make me want to rip them up in tiny little pieces, but OMG that girl is ANNOYING. WOW. I think I can live with not being photogenic.

• 9 Natalie // Jul 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I get those holes in my tee shirts too, but I’m too tall to blame the counter edge. In my bare feet, the counter lines up with the top of my thigh near my hip sockets, so it’s a bit lower than the hems of my shirts. My summer tees are the ones that get holes, and I rarely wear jeans in the summer – mostly skirts and lightweight shorts. So I’m leaning toward the car seat belt theory!

• 10 megan // Jul 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Jen – Yeah, it’s not meant to be serious. I should have noted that I was bookmarking that more for the sets of celeb photos where they are posing the same way over and over again.

• 11 NolaLeBlanc // Jul 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I had one particular pair of pants with a button that was the cause of my tiny holes. Once I elimnated the pants, I eliminated the holes. Maybe we each have our own unique hole creators.

• 12 Ammie // Aug 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

We float the river (Salt River??) in Phoenix every summer when we visit my brother in-law. We always use bed sheets to cover the tubes. The sheets keep the tubes from getting so darn hot & make them a lot more comfortable to sit in. The t-shirt sheets are the easiest to tie onto the tubes. Also, we always rent a tube for the cooler. A regular hard cooler will work but a few of the smaller, soft sided ones work best. Happy tubing!

• 13 Kate // Aug 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Read the books! Read the books! I picked up the first one at the airport for the long flight from SEA to CT, not really wanting to read it at all but wanting to shut up those who recommended it to me so I could say “meh,” and now two weeks later I’m on book #3 and trying to figure out how much coffee/sleep ratio I need to still do my job but also still read as much Game of Thrones as possible.

• 14 Kate // Aug 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oh also – it’s the most true match-up between book and TV show I’ve EVER seen. I think I found one minor inconsistency, but the HBO characters and the plotlines are spot-on to the books. Which makes it even more awesome!