links: food

I’ve decided to make my own nougat. Please give me tips and recipes! | Ask MetaFilter. I have a source that has her people bring this amazing nougat from Taiwan. It’s seriously addictive. If we could figure out how to make our own we could sell it for street value, for reals.

And a decaf for me « Busywork. Laura accidentally discovers how to make her own vanilla tea, excellent!

Snakes on a Stick · Edible Crafts. Well presented breadsticks, I’m keeping this one for Halloween.

Toasted S’more-Stuffed Strawberries. (with a gluten-free option), at 1 Fine Cookie. These are so lovely!

Pourfect Whisk-A-Bowl « Baking Bites. A spring whisk for your mixer which works faster than the balloon whisk, nice.

· comments [8] · 07-19-2011 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Sarah // Jul 19, 2011 at 3:10 am

Wow! The toasted S’more-Stuffed Strawberries looked amazing! I’m abroad for the month and missing baking. I’ll have to try them out when I get home for a fun baking adventure.

• 2 js // Jul 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

The narrative on the s’mores recipe is so unbelievably annoying that I don’t think I can read through it to make the recipe.

• 3 Rosa @ flutterflutter // Jul 19, 2011 at 8:15 am

Anytime there is a chocolate and gluten free in the same sentence… I’m curious. Yum!!

• 4 Blackinese // Jul 19, 2011 at 10:54 am

I remember the nougat from my childhood days in Trinidad. It was was the white kind with the edible paper. Where can I find it?

• 5 megan // Jul 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

Blackinese – I’m afraid I don’t know. The nougat I get is brought over by the mother of a friend (we love that mom).

• 6 MJ // Jul 19, 2011 at 11:59 am

Rice paper (which comes in large rolls) is ideal for lining pans. It’s edible. Regular sugar makes brown nougat. Corn syrup makes white nougat. Pistachio nuts are great and give a good bit of contrast. Color and flavor your nougat lavender or lemon.

The nougat I’ve had in French markets is usually slices from a big nougat “loaf”, sometimes sliced in front of you. Italian nougat has dried fruit. They’re all yummy!

• 7 Nella // Jul 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

@Blackinese: Italians make that kind. It’s called Torrone. So yummy! With almonds or hazelnuts. It comes in hard or soft (chewy); in long bars or individual ‘bites’ in really cute boxes with old pictures on them. You can find it in Italian food specialty shops. I think the Spanish have a version they call Turon.

• 8 megan // Jul 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm