My Badass Perforated (aka Egg) Spoon

perforated spoon

For our anniversary Scott got me The Badass Perforated (aka Egg) Spoon. It’s made to allow the runny bits of egg white separate so you can make a tidy looking poached egg. It works!

· comments [13] · 07-5-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · food · shopping ·

• 1 Kersey // Jul 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

What a perfect gift! It would make white omelettes so much easier!

• 2 Maureen // Jul 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Please tell me that this is not made in China and I will buy a couple.

In Julia (Child) & Jacques (Pepin) vintage series cooking together they did a segment on eggs. Julia poached hers in these cute things that look like your egg spoon but with a wire handle going vertical. Jacques used something like your spoon.

• 3 EB // Jul 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Damn. I can never make a decent poached egg! I’ll have to give this a whirl.

• 4 Rachel // Jul 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Brilliant! I hate all those little white floaty bits that cloud up the water…what to do with the little runny bits that I strain off the egg though? Hmmm…maybe just a very small egg white omelet/scramble I guess…

• 5 kitty // Jul 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

This is a very good idea. The past few years seem to have really exploded in a delightful array of the invention and distribution of poaching science.
    1. Poaching eggs in a little cling-wrap bundle: so cute and perfect save for the odd cling wrap marks on top.
    2. Silicon poaching cups: Never got the hang of these. Cute like tulips, colorful. Frustrating for me as they keep floating in the pot. So much easier to just go without. I must be doing it wrong.
    3. Electric egg poacher: Sure it’s a space hog and the eggs aren’t quite as good.. But the ease on your average overbooked Tuesday morning is worth it for me.

But I love the spoon idea, simple and elegant. Perfect for a lazy Sunday.

• 6 Miranda E. // Jul 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I have little silicone cups that float in the water, so you egg never gets messy.
    They actually work very well!

• 7 megan // Jul 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Marueen – I cannot tell, apparently you have to now sign up to view products on Open Sky (where it’s sold). Sorry!

Kitty – I’ve tried poaching in plastic and it’s been disastrous for me.

Miranda – I keep hearing not-so-great things about the silicone cups. This spoon doubles as the only slotted spoon we need so I’m happy with it :)

• 8 Laura // Jul 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm

First the hard boiled egg timer and now this. You are improving my egg cooking capabilities by leaps and bounds!

• 9 Seanna Lea // Jul 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

I have never used any of these tools for my poached eggs. I have a regular slotted spoon, which I press into service to fish the eggs out (I don’t make poached eggs often).

• 10 Angela // Jul 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

i use the saran wrap method. It actually works quite well, tried it just because it was so absurd, but when it worked, and my eggs weren’t all damp from the water, I was hooked.

• 11 ducksandbooks // Jul 9, 2011 at 6:01 pm

you can use your awesome slotted spoon to make spatzel too! I’ve been looking for a spoon like yours just for making buttery potato noodles with…. mmm. Now I want some spatzel!

• 12 megan // Jul 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Angela – Oh, awesome. Thanks so much for the tip. I think it’s going to clear a lot of space in my kitchen.

• 13 Rachel // Jul 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Ha! I’m going to have to tell my foodie aunt about this one.
    Question:
    I am gathering recipes for a collaborative project. Would you send me your favorite recipe?
    Thanks, and keep blogging!
    Rachel