dailyish photo: new bicycle helmets

me being amused at the face Scott is making into the mirror

The other day we bought new bicycle helmets. I chose a Giro Indicator and I like it because it has a little adjustment wheel on the back so it fits snuggly but it’s not headache inducing, and it’s really well ventilated. It was on sale at REI, and the one I picked (White/Silver) is even cheaper on Amazon right now. Yay for bicycling.

· comments [19] · 06-29-2011 · categories:dailyphoto · shopping ·

• 1 Yrina // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Maybe there’s something wrong with my browser, but i can’t see the picture, just a small sliver. Wondering if anyone else has this problem?

• 2 megan // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

Yrina – Try it now, I typo-ed, sorry about that!

• 3 jennybookworm // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

those are some fine bike helmet grimaces you’ve got on!

• 4 Lindsay // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

Yay for bicycling, indeed! And I love how you’re both making crazy faces. :)

Any chance you remember where you bought the shirt you’re wearing? It’s super cute.

• 5 Seanna Lea // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:43 am

Those both look way more stylish than the monster of a bike helmet I have. I’ll have to look into that helmet, because it couldn’t hurt to have two.

• 6 megan // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:44 am

Lindsay – Yes! It’s from Texture and I love it. I am wearing the short sleeved one and she makes a tank and half-sleeve version now as well. You can order online or if you’re in Seattle she sells at the Fremont market and will be at UCU in July. Pay attention to her size charts, I’m wearing a small (I’m not normally a small).

• 7 megan // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:58 am

Jennybookworm – What do you mean? Those are our normal expressions :)

• 8 Yrina // Jun 29, 2011 at 10:58 am

It worked great, Megan. They look awesome :-)

• 9 Ali // Jun 29, 2011 at 11:03 am

Well you guys are surely the cutest looking people I’ve seen in bicycle helmets in a while. Somehow, someway, he looks very much like Tom Green with that expression and the plaid shirt ;)

• 10 Nicole Maki // Jun 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

I loved your helmet so much I bought one.

Thanks for the rec.

• 11 megan // Jun 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Ali – Aw, thanks!

Nicole – I forgot to mention that it also has space for a ponytail to sit at a natural place — my old helmet didn’t have that so this is a huge bonus.

• 12 Bess H. // Jun 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love the idea of a bicycle helmet fitting “snuggly.” The double-g totally makes it sounds you have a cuddly, adorable helmet that just wants to give your scalp some lovin’. There’s definitely no snuggling with my helmet — that sucker is a total curmudgeon.

• 13 ellen // Jun 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Yay indeed for bike helmets. For a long time I carried the one that saved my skull when I bounced down the road on my head around to show people why they should wear one.

• 14 Magpie // Jul 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Very neat! Now that the properly warm weather is here now, I am so looking forward to biking again. I sold my bike before I moved to Seattle, so I need to set out and get a new one. Have you any recommendations for bike shops in Seattle?

• 15 megan // Jul 2, 2011 at 12:39 am

Magpie – I got mine at REI, but I know Hello Bicycle on Beacon Hill is nice. If you wanna go fancy there is a Dutch bike stores in (I think) Ballard. Anybody else have suggestions?

• 16 rudaker // Jul 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I want your shirt! Where did you get it?

• 17 megan // Jul 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Rudaker – It’s from Texture, see my answer in comment #6 for more details!

• 18 rowdykatie // Jul 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

You’re married to Dave Grohl?

• 19 ania.the.map.cutter // Jul 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

I have the same helmet & love it! I did STP in it & it kept me well ventilated :-). Well, I survived.