links: food

Arugula Salad and Vinaigrette 101 « Tea & Cookies. Thank you Tea! I know how to make salad dressing, but I don’t know how to make it good, so I can use all the help I can get.

Sauced: Chimichurri Sauce | Serious Eats : Recipes.

Chicken Salad-Slaw, The Ugly Green Chair. Simple and yummy!

On Whiskey and Grease: Pappy Van Winkle – Grantland. A new quest! It looks like it’s possible to find it here in Seattle.

1022 south, a bar in Tacoma that I’m going to visit soon. Found via this article in the NYTimes which I missed until recently.

What’s Cookin, Chicago?: Pizza Stuffed Pretzels. I must try these.

Seattle Blogger Invites Bakers to Overcome Their Pie-Crust Fears – Voracious. Shauna (Gluten-free Girl) has started a virtual pie making party! July 5th, be there.

angry chicken: homemade bean burgers. My college cafeteria had fantastic black bean burgers and I’ve been looking for something similar lately.

· comments [11] · 06-24-2011 · categories:food · links ·

• 1 Kathrine // Jun 24, 2011 at 5:52 am

You can find the Pappy van Winkle by the glass at Oliver’s Twist, but it is about $40!

• 2 Janet S // Jun 24, 2011 at 7:20 am

(re: 1022 South) Have you been to Bathtub Gin in Seattle? Fun little place.

• 3 Bridgit // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

I’m sorry, I can’t help but feel a little smug when I hear about people having a hard time finding particular bourbons, but then, I live right outside Lexington, KY. You can find Pappy van Winkle in almost any liquor store around here. Don’t hate me!

• 4 megan // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

Katherine – I found the 23 year at Browers this weekend for $32 a glass. I figure at that price I’ll go ahead and pay $200 for a bottle if I really want to try it.

Janet S – I have not! I will seek it out. I like little places that know how to make a drink.

Bridgit – I managed tracked down Pappy to about five liquor stores here in Seattle, it’s expensive though (WA liquor laws make all the hard stuff pricey). Even though we have tough liquor laws the stores seem to have ever obscure thing I look up though. That said, as I am having a new-ish love of bourbon I am jealous of your proximity!

• 5 Crysta // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:21 am

Oh definitely come down to 1022 South! It is so lovely. As a Tacoman (read: person of Tacoma, not man who is a taco), it is one of my favorite place to take visitors, especially those from Seattle who may be wary of their southern sister. I recommend the sidecar, as a classic, or the Hilltop New Yorker. Also, anything with the tomato jam is well worth it.

• 6 Jennevieve // Jun 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

I am from Tacoma too and just love 1022. Only better to come on a week night than a weekend!

• 7 Francie // Jun 24, 2011 at 10:39 am

The trick to a good vinaigrette is a pinch of sugar, about 1/4 teaspoon. It’s just enough to take the edge off the vinegar. That way you can get away with using a little less oil.

• 8 Alex // Jun 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Your bean burger comment really took me back. I was also a costume major, I think a year or so ahead of you, and I must have had them for lunch and/or dinner everyday. They were really good, and I remember the buns they used were also surprisingly good. I occasionally make an attempt to find something similar, I will definitely try this recipe.
    I love your blog, it’s one of the few I read daily and I’m constantly e-mailing links to friends. Thanks!

• 9 Ellen // Jun 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’m here to tell you – the 20 year Pappy Van Winkle is worth every penny and amount of hassle. It’s just that good. I flew a bottle home from Pittsburgh and have reaped the benefits ever since. The 15 year is less crazy/expensive and still also very, very good.

• 10 megan // Jun 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hi Alex! I was there when they did away with the bean burgers and put in a whole bar of hot wings. That did not go over well at Purchase :)

Ellen – Good to know! I will save up for this one.

Francie – Thank you for the tip! My vinaigrettes are always too acidic.

• 11 Simonette // Jul 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm

No need to fear pie crust. Two words: (1) BUTTER; (2) FOOD PROCESSOR. They make for a foolproof pie crust.