links: technology

Cool Tools: Vim. This might be the simple text/html editor I’ve been looking for.

Pano | app.itize.us. A good app for taking panoramic photos.

{seo q & a} what is the best way to spell this term? | minted condition. They took on my question about papier-mache, and suggested a wonderful new-to-me resource. Thanks!

10 Free Web Based Photoshop Alternatives | Apartment Therapy Unplggd.

A bunch of nerdy interviews. What do people use to get stuff done? A whole site to answer this question: The Setup. Via Ask Metafilter.

A Whole Lotta Nothing: Kickstarter tips from a fan of crowd-funding.

Upgrading from a Basic Canon Rebel DSLR | Making it Lovely.

I am wondering what new podcasts are out that are in the category: “Mindblowing.” Things that amaze, inspire, or make you reflect | Ask MetaFilter.

Lara Ferroni » Plate to Pixel and Other Food Photography Resources.

Reunited (With Blogs) And It Feels So Gooood : whoorl. About how it used to be, and getting that back with the Google Reader Next Button for your browser, I’ll have to do this. Somehow I still miss you-know-what-Lines, my Google Reader seems impenetrable.

· comments [9] · 06-16-2011 · categories:links · technology ·

• 1 Heather // Jun 16, 2011 at 7:30 am

Oh my! the next button is amazing! It’s been so long since I have even seen what some of the blogs I read look like. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!
    (ps-i had to add the bookmark by to chrome to add the next button)

• 2 megan // Jun 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks for the report Heather!

• 3 jkru // Jun 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm

There’s a huge divide in the science community about vim. Either you love it or hate it. I personally can’t stand it. Emacs is another good, simple solution for text editors and I personally feel that it’s way more intuitive than vim. http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

• 4 Ali // Jun 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I have been using the next button since I read about it on Whoorl. I adore it. I want to give it a giant hug.
    I browse blogs much slower…but I still love it :)

• 5 Susan // Jun 17, 2011 at 5:18 am

hi, i rather like your site. any tips on how easy/difficult this was to set up in WordPress?

• 6 Carolyn // Jun 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I love vi/Vim but there is a real learning curve there. I hope you’ll stick with it a while before you make up your mind.
    Vim helps because it gives you a nice front end, but keep working on the vi commands, like “s” for substitute and “y” for yank.

• 7 Maria // Jun 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

I love the Next button. There’s also a Subscribe you can add, if you didn’t already know that. I didn’t use google reader (or any reader at all) until I learned about Next because I would have felt too guilty not actually visiting the websites I loved so much.

• 8 megan // Jun 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Susan – WordPress can be both easy and maddening. I’ll point you towards these articles over at Design*Sponge: getting a website in a weekend, and advanced functionalities in WordPress.

My hosting company has a one-click install of WordPress, and I believe most all hosting companies have that these days. Good luck!

• 9 Bekka // Jul 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I missed this post when you first posted it, thanks so much for including me!!