photo: cheery red VW van

a sign painter

This van was so cheerful, like spotting a bunch of balloons on a dreary day. The owner clearly loves their van.

· comments [21] · 06-9-2011 · categories:dailyphoto ·

• 1 Gabrielle - Design Mom // Jun 9, 2011 at 4:36 am

My family grew up with VW buses. I love them. Red is always my favorite.

• 2 Caroline // Jun 9, 2011 at 6:18 am

This is great! My hubby has been a GM at the VW dealership for about 10 years now. I would love to find a van pic like this to do a photo project for him!
    Not sure why, but it right side up in Feedler, but on it’s side on the web???

• 3 Reading (and chickens) // Jun 9, 2011 at 6:32 am

I love this; *almost* as good as sunshine. (Oh, who am I kidding, nothing’s as good as sunshine.)

• 4 kendra // Jun 9, 2011 at 7:26 am

Ohhhh. Nostalgia. My family had a red VW van back in the 70′s. We lived in Alaska at the time, and made several trips up and down the Alaska Highway in that van, pulling a pop-up camper. Besides Mom and Dad, there were five of us kids in that van. And we were happy. Many years and two moves later my parents sold the van, probably for scrap metal, and I remember that my mom cried.

• 5 heather // Jun 9, 2011 at 7:48 am

this is so, SO fun! what a great “find” to brighten the day!

• 6 Mary // Jun 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

Ah, memories. I drove my four children around in a red VW van for a number of years–including halfway across the country and back again multiple times.

• 7 Alysia // Jun 9, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’ve seen a strange increase in the number of the old school VW vans driving around. Maybe they are making a come back :)

• 8 Karly // Jun 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Do you have a source for this photo?

• 9 Karly // Jun 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Or, if you took the photo, for the van…? (I love it)

• 10 Rosa // Jun 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

A good friend of mine has an old vw bus that’s he sprucing up. I think his will be black and red!

• 11 kay // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love that van! I wish VW hadn’t shelved the van reboot (like the bug, but way cooler) a few years back. I so would have bought one.

• 12 Ellen // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

I had a stick-shift 84 volvo wagon I loved like that – thanks for prompting the memory and smile!

• 13 Becky // Jun 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Ever since I was a small child, I’ve always wanted a VW van. Haven’t gotten one yet, but that is on my bucket list!

• 14 Devin // Jun 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm

LOVE this. I have memories of driving to Florida (from Montreal) in an orange VW wagon with my mom, dad and brother when I was 4. It broke down on our way home and starting in Ontario we couldn’t drive faster than 40 km/hour!

A few weekends ago at a garage sale I (luckily) came across an original 1961 ad for the VW wagon. It’s still in the original frame from the dealership! (The slogan says *we also make a funny looking car*)

• 15 Seanna Lea // Jun 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I think we had a green van like this one growing up. Of course, my brain is like a sieve, so it was probably a completely different brand.

• 16 dawn // Jun 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

gorgeous! never saw a vw van so beautiful :)

• 17 noni // Jun 12, 2011 at 5:28 am

you should make the father’s day car packets to sell or at least kits to make them ..for people like me who are not so crafty and also live rurally and not near to places to get the supplies…hard to believe but iam 45 minutes from a walmart…anyway your idea is fantabulous

• 18 Shella // Jun 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Love this color! I finally have a VeeDub Van of my own and love finding photos such as this for inspiration! :)

• 19 Nina // Jun 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

we had one of these when I was young. it was red. it smelled. like a new car. but it wasn’t new. so it made me sick. every ride. all the time. and you can only open the windows a tiny bit…not helpful when one is sick. from the smell of the vehicle you are sitting in.

• 20 the italian job | // Jun 14, 2011 at 6:36 am

[...] this great photo on not martha today and it made me smile. not martha was the very first blog I ever started reading. She shares [...]

• 21 Grace // Dec 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

THE LIBYANS!

(love ‘Back to the Future’)