photo: a sign painter

a sign painter

I was walking through the Georgetown neighborhood and spotted this nice guy painting a sign by hand. I stopped to ask if I could take a photo and mentioned I knew somebody who is making a film about people who paint signs by hand. “Faythe?” He asked. Indeed. The world, it is small.

· comments [7] · 06-8-2011 · categories:dailyphoto ·

• 1 Liz // Jun 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love that he’s doing it all by hand…such a craft!

• 2 Molly Gray // Jun 8, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I saw someone handpainting a sign in Columbus, Ohio today too! Pretty common in a certain area of our city but so much fun!

• 3 Robert Seggie // Jun 9, 2011 at 12:00 am

I am a traditional sign writer in N. Ireland and have hand painted windows etc. in Chicago, Cincinnati and Phoenix…
    Visit my site and you can see posters, windows, and boards etc. Glad you appreciate the work…

• 4 Ellen // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

The older I get, the more I realize that there are only 10 people in the world: I’ve worked with 5, I’ve dated 5.

• 5 Wendy // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

One of my dad’s jobs when I was a kid was painting signs by hand. I used to go with him sometimes and play on the sidewalk while he worked. He even looked like that guy, with a plaid shirt, long hair and a big beard. Thanks for bringing back some memories!

• 6 Jillian // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I think I walked past the same guy in Greenwood the other day–he was painting on the door at Cafe Vita. I stood and watched for a moment and noticed a colorful van parked nearby that said “Sign Savant”.

• 7 megan // Jun 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Jillian – Awesome, that is indeed him. Thinking about it I do of course recognize his stuff from West Seattle.