thing I like: Slice packaging cutter

[small Slice cutter]

This is a Slice ceramic safety cutter meant for opening clamshell packaging. I manage to get papercuts from anything sharp and flat so last Christmas I grabbed one of these in the hopes of avoiding the frustration and the blood and the pain. Opening gifts should not be associated with pain. This has an incredibly tiny ceramic blade in the tip that is just big enough to cut through sturdy plastic packaging but too small to cut skin.

I was really delighted when I found there is a small magnet inside so you can keep this on a fridge or a magnet board, so handy. It’s photographed above hanging out with the spring clips and fortune cookie fortunes that I keep handy over my kitchen counter. We’ve even started using our little cutter to slice through tape to open boxes. It’s turned out to be my favorite gadget. Slice makes a range of ceramic products for the office and kitchen and I have my eye on the Precision Cutter as well. Both the Safety Cutter and Precision Cutter are also available at Amazon.

Funny thing? The Safety Cutter comes in the very packaging it’s designed to open more easily:

[small Slice cutter]

· comments [15] · 04-28-2011 · categories:shopping ·

• 1 nzle // Apr 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’ve played around with the precision cutter and it’s neither particularly more safe, nor particularly more sharp, nor particularly more precise than a regular exacto blade. Slice’s scissors are similarly gorgeous but just so-so to use — I love how effective that safety cutter is, though!

• 2 dlb // Apr 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

The very definition of irony. You can’t imagine the rage I have over clamshell packaging. I’ll be purchasing one of these bad boys. Thanks for the tip.

• 3 Joanne // Apr 28, 2011 at 10:16 am

oh wow! I will have to look into that. they make it so hard to open your purchases these days– I’ve been using a manual can opener…but this looks much easier!

• 4 Maggie // Apr 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

I feel like every hipster should own this, if only for the ironic packaging.

• 5 jessilong // Apr 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

Interesting that you got this packaging and that the logo has been modified differently on your product than what they show on their site and in product comps:

• 6 Rosa // Apr 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

Looks great! I, too, am prone to paper cuts! Haha love the packaging!

• 7 Tiffany B. // Apr 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

that is funny it came in the very package you can’t open with out it.

• 8 Seanna Lea // Apr 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I usually use my sturdy kitchen scissors, but that doesn’t make my method either effective or safe. Usually I just far enough and then I hulk it the rest of the way.

• 9 Seanna Lea // Apr 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm

cut.

The missing word is cut.

• 10 Virginia // Apr 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Just found your blog and I love EVERYTHING!!!!

• 11 Frances // Apr 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I found a tip on-line.

Use a CAN OPENER, the kind that you twist the handle. It will go around and around your clam shell packaging just like it does with canned food. VIOLA!!
    Works for me, as I too am prone to cut fingers and muttering under my breath.

• 12 megan // Apr 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Frances – I’ve tried that on a number of packages and it never quite worked for me. I’ve also switched my can opener here to the sort that does not create sharp can lids (see also: prone to cutting myself) so even if I could get it to work I don’t have the ability any longer.

• 13 JessA // Apr 30, 2011 at 7:30 am

I had one of these and absolutely loved it until I ruined it!

Do not use it over a ceramic tile surface! Maybe this advice would seem obvious to some, but I used mine to cut out coupons on my ceramic tile table.

The ceramic on ceramic just wore the “blade” right off. I wasn’t pressing hard or anything. So, a word to the wise…

• 14 Natalie // May 2, 2011 at 10:14 am

The fact that it’s packaged in a clamshell makes me laugh.

I use an Open It for this purpose, but this looks simpler to handle. I will say for Open It, though, they fought hard to make sure that their product is never packaged in a clamshell.

• 15 Chi Nguyen // May 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hello Martha:

Thank you very much for taking your time to blog about the Safety Cutter. We appreciate your support:)

Many Thanks from the Slice Team!

Warm Wishes,