almost daily photo: April 20th

[mural in a Seattle transit tunnel showing pop culture icons]

This is the mural I stare at while I’m waiting for the Light Rail to arrive. For some reason the thing I focus on first is always Alice juxtaposed with the rice cooker. Something about the rushed worry next to a quiet kitchen appliance makes me giggle. My camera does that face detection thing and I’m happy to tell you it only recognized Dr. Frankenfurter Elizabeth Taylor there as a human.

· comments [20] · 04-20-2011 · categories:uncategorized ·

• 1 Frances // Apr 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

That is Alice, from Alice in Wonderland, next to the rice cooker. I think it would be normal to see such a “curious” thing as a rice cooker next to her. I wonder if she’ll invite the March Hare and the Matter Hatter over for steamed rice and maybe some green tea?

• 2 brynne // Apr 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

(Cinderella = Alice in Wonderland)

• 3 Chloe // Apr 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I think maybe you mean Alice instead of Cinderella, if i’m looking at the photo correctly :)

Love this, its a beautiful shot and so fun to look at.

• 4 Katie // Apr 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Is it Cinderella or Alice in Wonderland?

• 5 Jessie // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Yup, that’s Alice. And, not add fuel to the fire, but your Dr. Frank-N-Furter is actually Andy Warhol’s Elizabeth Taylor.

That mural is great!!!

• 6 Kathryn // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Where is Dr. F-n-F? I see Marilyn Monroe, and I see Elizabeth Taylor, but I don’t see Tim Curry in drag- am I blind?

• 7 Seanna Lea // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Funnily enough it doesn’t surprise me that Dr. Frankenfurter is the only face it recognizes. Most of the other faces are either partials or so stylized that they are probably really flat to a camera.

• 8 Entropy's Bitch // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Or, was Elizabeth Taylor really Frank N. Furter?
    Hmmmm….
    In other news, Skynet becomes self aware at 8.22 tonight, so unplug those appliances!

• 9 Seanna Lea // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

OK. Apparently I don’t recognize my Warhols as well as everybody else, because I look and it still makes me think of Frankenfurter!

• 10 NiNi // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Do you know the artist? It reminds me of Roger Shimomura’s work.

• 11 megan // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Ha, I got both wrong. Oops. Alice I had actually corrected but WP decided to post a draft, yikes. Elizabeth Taylor? I seriously thought that was Frankenfurter. Now I kinda wish it was him instead.

• 12 megan // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm

NiNi – I don’t know the artist but next time I’m there I’ll see if I can locate the information and report back.

• 13 Carrie // Apr 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

That’s Alice…Alice in Wonderland. She’s late for an important date!

• 14 Carrie // Apr 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

lol… only liz. Love that alice/ricecooker pairing, too. That’s pretty awesome. I spy wonder woman, too… I think that’s the world’s most perfect mural. ever. ;)

• 15 molly p // Apr 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Yep, that is Roger Shimomura’s work. Love it.

• 16 Sakiizee // Apr 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

This is in Seattle correct? I think I remember seeing this when I was up there a couple of weeks ago.

• 17 megan // Apr 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Sakiizee – Yes, this is the transit tunnel at Westlake, just downtown where the big Nordstrom is.

• 18 wintor // Apr 21, 2011 at 5:26 am

Ha! The very first thing I saw was Wonder Woman…which I guess is fitting since I wanted to legally change my name to Wonder Woman Bogy when I was four…

• 19 Rose // Apr 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

You mean that’s NOT Dr. Furter?!! I work for Metro and see the original painting for this damn thing every morning when I walk through the door. I loathe it. Although I must say it works a lot better on a larger scale.

• 20 Ray // May 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love that mural. Makes me miss Seattle. I remember sitting on the bus there in the mornings. Loved it when there were issues with the electric poles that powered the old buses which caused a delay. It granted me more time to stare at the mural.