links: travel

Jordan Ferney | Oh Happy Day!: La Droguerie. Jordan found this amazing shop in Paris after getting a little lost.

Help me find a weekend retreat somewhere in the Pacific Northwest | Ask MetaFilter.

dukebecky: loving locally. Favorite things around Boston, I love lists from locals.

Jordan Ferney | Oh Happy Day!: How to Get to the Paris Flea Market.

Cross-Border Shopping Guide: Canada | Serious Eats. Excellent list of Canadian foods you can bring back home with you.

Paris on a Rainy Day over at Julia Sweeney’s blog. I love this modern staging of the famous painting, though the cars make me sad.

36 hours in my Silicon Valley « Fishy thoughts. Troutgirl takes on the NYTimes 36 hours and gives better suggestions. I’m keeping these for when we return to visit.

· comments [7] · 04-12-2011 · categories:links · travel ·

• 1 Nicole // Apr 12, 2011 at 6:12 am

Thanks for the Boston link, my town is featured in one of them! Always nice to find cool places in my city.

• 2 WanderChow // Apr 12, 2011 at 6:32 am

No trip to Canada would mean a thing if you didn’t bring back a ton of Coffee Crisp bars.
    Oh, some Murchie’s tea wouldn’t hurt either.
    But trust me on the bars. Hoard them. You will be craving them until the next visit. Oh, okay, so maybe share some. Set up a supply chain with other visitors to Canada.

• 3 Jen // Apr 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

While she’s on President’s Choice products, I’d recommend their fruit cream cookies over Peak Freens. The PC ones come in distinct fruit flavones rather than non-descript red.

That said, I wish we could get Pepperidge Farm cookies in Canada. We only have their goldfish crackers.

• 4 Seanna Lea // Apr 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

I love seeing what other people think are great local links, and was pleased that two of my favorite craft shops were on the list!

• 5 Sara L. // Apr 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm

The Canadian foods one is interesting to me, since I live in Canada (I’m an expat US citizen) and a couple of the choices seem strange. Particularly the Swiss Chalet sauce, which I find regrettable, at best. Tastes like chamomile tea gravy, very odd. Can’t argue with the candy bars, particularly the Wunderbar, and Cadbury anything. But you gotta go for the All Dressed over the Ketchup chips. Trust me.

• 6 Lenore // Apr 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I can’t speak to the whole VC/entrepreneur touristy thing, but last time I went to Udupi it was horrible. Next time you come to SV, let me know and I’ll take you to the good Indian food.

• 7 Katelyn // Apr 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

The weekend retreat link ALMOST convinced me to sign up for a MeFi account just to comment. There’s a beautiful Benedictine monastery called St. Placid Priory down in Olympia, they do individual retreats (and you can opt for an undirected version, which doesn’t include meetings with the sisters). Incredible facilities and gardens. All faiths welcome. I haven’t been in years but it’s a wonderful retreat center.