links: misc

Clement Valla: Postcards from Google Earth | Apartment Therapy New York. Fun images taken from spots where Google Earth cameras distort the landscape. For more unintentional Google art see Nine Eyes, which collects interesting Google Street View images.

Rules of Misbehavior – Benjamin J. Dueholm. A profile of Dan Savage, whom I grew up reading advice from.

Any new TV/movies for Whedonites in withdrawal? | Ask MetaFilter.

What books are particularly well-suited to the audio book medium? Perhaps even better as audio books than in print? | Ask MetaFilter. When I was listening to a lot of audiobooks from the library I would end up with a lot of YA fiction and found that I liked listening the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz because the narrator, Simon Prebble, made the description of things like specific makes of skateboards hilarious, much more so because the delivery was so dry and Bond like. I can also say I much preferred the Artemis Fowl books in audio format, the narrator Nathaniel Parker did voices that would never have appeared in my head. In both of these cases the books seemed structured very much like movies which might have helped the appeal in audiobook format. In both of these cases I think I would have disliked reading the books.

What are some cheap (less than $10) but satisfying luxuries? | Ask MetaFilter.

The Week in Estate Jewelry: Secret Messages, Butterflies, and Bat Wings | The Hairpin. This has become one of my favorite columns. For more secret message jewelry see the suffrage pendant (last item) in Milky Glass and Tortoiseshell.

· comments [9] · 03-28-2011 · categories:links · misc ·

• 1 Faye // Mar 28, 2011 at 4:03 am

I cannot recommend enough The Spellman Files in audio format. The narrator does a phenomenal job bringing each character to life in their own idiosyncratic way. I continued with the series just so I could hear the narrator read the characters. Loved it.

• 2 Gary // Mar 28, 2011 at 5:48 am

On the audiobook front, the His Dark Material series is incredibly well done. I am not sure I would have made it through the third book reading it. Also, in a completely different vein, the best audiobook I have ever listened to is A Year Of Magical Thinking.

• 3 Tae // Mar 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

The Harry Potter books in audio format are so amazing. The guy who narrates them, Jim Dale I believe, makes them come alive. There are so many accents and he makes each character distinct. I listen to a lot of audio books (seriously, a whole lot) and he is my favorite reader by a long shot.

• 4 WanderChow // Mar 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Have you caught up on Fringe? Slow going at first but totally worth it by the end of season 1, seasons 2 and 3 are rocking.
    Also SG:U is pretty good, I’m surprised how much I care about the characters–all of whom are very flawed.

• 5 Sarah // Mar 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm

This post recommending shows for Whedonites comes at just the right time! I was just about to start looking for a new TV series to watch.

Thank you!

• 6 megan // Mar 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Gary – That was another favorite of mine! I was nervous at first as normally full cast audio books don’t work at all but His Dark Materials was really well done. Did you know that that author was the narrator? He did a wonderful job.

Tae – Jim Dale is often cited as the best. By the time I was listening to a lot of audio books I’d already read the Harry Potter series. Once they fade from my memory (very soon) I’ll have to give them a listen.

Faye – I’ve never heard of The Spellman Files, I’ll check them out. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

WanderChow – For some reason I just cannot get into Fringe, but Scott watches and he’s excited they’ve been renewed for a new season. I’m curious how they’ll proceed since I’ve heard they wrapped up the current arc.

Sarah – I’m so glad to point you towards it. I am thinking of cycling back around to work through Buffy again.

• 7 Lisa // Mar 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

I love the audiobook for The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Normally I prefer a single narrator (like the wonderful Jim Dale reading the Harry Potter series) but The Help is really well done. I enjoyed it so much that I have listened a few times.

• 8 Dalis // Mar 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

I second the Harry Potter recommendation. I was initially late to the HP party and so I read the first one and then listened to the second one during my long commute. After listening to the 2nd, I couldn’t go back to reading them! I had to listen to the rest via audiobook, even when I had caught up and the last one came out. It was worth being behind in finishing the series to get the complete experience. :)

• 9 herschel // Mar 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I never buy David Sedaris or Garrison Keillor books — the audio versions just add so much more.